PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Gurus-who's got the 2007 pick list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I think compensatory picks are yet to be decided, but could we stash this info somewhere, Ian?

We've got a lot of picks and some holes to fill. Thanks.

What do you think the strategy is going to be for this year's draft?

I realize that the only way to know is to be with the team but all the picks give NE some great flexibility. Per prior discussions this is my understanding of the picks coming:

1 - 2
2 - 1
3 - 1
4 - 3 (NE's and Givens/Vinatieri comp choices)
5 - 0
6 - 2 (NE's and Davis comp)
7 - 3 (NE's, Arizona's and comp)

While NE cannot trade the comp picks, they can draft a player that the other team wants and trade the rights to that guy. So no pick is set in stone.

Anyway, I see three distinct possiblities. I am sure that a combination of all will be used, but I thought it might be interesting to discuss the merits of each.

1) Leverage all of the picks to grab 7-8 guys at the best value.

2) Send a few of the picks off into future drafts

3) Use just about every pick to bring in a bunch of bodies ensuring that at least 7-8 of them are players that have a good chance to contribute.

What say you?

Thanks. I thought for sure we had doubles in the 2nd or 3rd.

It's hard to trade low picks like that except for futures.

I would like a McGinest type olb/de and a corner.

No matter who we draft in the top 4, I think ILB/OLB types and safeties and corners for camp competition.

I can't see guys with no position ie Mills/Klecko. I'd rather have 4 DBs competing for 2 jobs/special teams.

Thanks. I thought for sure we had doubles in the 2nd or 3rd.

It's hard to trade low picks like that except for futures.

I would like a McGinest type olb/de and a corner.

No matter who we draft in the top 4, I think ILB/OLB types and safeties and corners for camp competition.

I can't see guys with no position ie Mills/Klecko. I'd rather have 4 DBs competing for 2 jobs/special teams.

I don't know if I agree on that. It is fairly common for teams to give a late 4th and 6th to get an early fourth, or leverage a 6th and 7th to move up a handful of spots in the second.

I don't know if I agree on that. It is fairly common for teams to give a late 4th and 6th to get an early fourth, or leverage a 6th and 7th to move up a handful of spots in the second.

That's true, I wasn't thinking about the moving up part. Still, we moved up for Jackson and it cost us a third.

Also, with the advent of comp picks, a lot of teams have a bunch of low picks.

Asante was a 4th. Wouldn't it be great if it worked that way?

4th round? We could use another Asante, let's find one.:D

That's true, I wasn't thinking about the moving up part. Still, we moved up for Jackson and it cost us a third.

Also, with the advent of comp picks, a lot of teams have a bunch of low picks.

Asante was a 4th. Wouldn't it be great if it worked that way?

4th round? We could use another Asante, let's find one.:D

That was a sizable jump and most observers felt that NE overpaid for the move.

I am all for finding the next Asante in the 4th. Frankly, I am expecting it. Since BB and Piloi finally got rid of the last remnants of Grier's system (2001), NE has only failed to find a gem once on the second day.

2002 - Green, Givens
2003 - Samuel, Koppen (I suppose TBC but he is still not quite there yet)
2004 - Nada
2005 - Sanders (Possible with Cassel)
2006 - Gost, O'Calaghan

Add in Gay and Wirght as UDFAs and NE is sure to get someone who can help immediately on the second day. Just understand that it is highly likely that his name won't immediately arouse you.

Having three fourth round picks is huge - since the first day ends after three rounds. The Front Office can re-evaluate the best remaining players and determine which players slipped and then make sound picks in the 4th round.

A lot of times fourth rounders end up better than second or third rounders...

I have a feeling the Pats will take what they perceive to be the best "Patriot" style player at every pick... Regardless of whether it addresses the perceived needs of the team (LB/S/WR/CB)...

That being said I'd love LaMarr Woodley - he's another McGinest type of guy and grades out as a second/third rounder right now... I have no clue why.

When do we find out what round we get the comp picks in? Is it right beofre the draft?

I definitely can't wait for more youth to be injected. I'm hoping defense.

In any case, the known picks are, IIRC, 2-1-1-1-0-1-2; with comps, my personal guess is 2-1-1-2-0-3-3, but I may be (am?) wrong.

When do we find out what round we get the comp picks in? Is it right beofre the draft?

About a month before in 2006, so I'd expect to find out in late March. I have to look at the numbers, but I think something like 4-6-6-7 is more likely than 4-4-6-7.

Having three fourth round picks is huge - since the first day ends after three rounds. The Front Office can re-evaluate the best remaining players and determine which players slipped and then make sound picks in the 4th round.

The only unfortunate thing is that they're all at the end of the fourth round, so I'm not sure what the Pats would have to part with to jump up to grab a guy they really wanted. [Although, typically, at that point, the cost is low enough that they might do it if they felt it was warranted.]

I have a feeling the Pats will take what they perceive to be the best "Patriot" style player at every pick... Regardless of whether it addresses the perceived needs of the team (LB/S/WR/CB)...

BINGO. I'll echo this all day long and twice on Sundays, since games aren't on any more.

Value to the NE Pats franchise (remember, not general value,) is the gottahave. In cases of close evaluations, it's possible immediate need plays its role as a factor in the valuation process.

Good reminder, AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey