PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Grades = Arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this and thought it was pretty spot on...

:rocker:

Sports reporters have about as much actual "accountability" as Weather girls... particularly around the Draft.

The funny thing is that if Mel Kiper or McShay were put in charge of drafting for a team, they would most likely be fired for horrible drafts.

I don't think you can blame the draft analysts for putting out draft grades. Blame the fans that want instant feedback and validation of their teams draft picks. They are simply appeasing the fans that ask for this stuff. You just need to look at the twitter accounts of any media member even remotely linked to football the day after the draft to see fans asking them their opinion of their favorite teams picks. The draft is a business, and without guys like Kiper doing this stuff for the average fan then the draft wouldn't nearly be as big as it is now.

Now the legitimacy of their grades you can question but in the end its only an opinion, just like you or I have. I would be more worried about people that take these things too seriously than the people putting them out.

Mel Kiper on Mark Sanchez. I rest my case v. Kiper. Any questions?

"...I thought he was the fifth-best player. I talked to some people … they were amazed when people had him down the line like they did at 17 to the Jets...

"He’s a hot guy right now because of the fact that he’s what you want in terms of accuracy. And that’s not just in the pocket, that’s not just when he has all day to throw. He can roll right, he can roll left and throw accurately. His completion percentage was through the roof at around 66 percent this year. His touchdown-interception ratio was outstanding...I think when you look at what he was able to do this year with the numbers he put up, and the skill level he has and the football acumen, the smarts, the intelligence, the passion for the game, the enthusiasm for the game that he has.

"He’s got a lot of Chad Pennington in him. He’s got a little bit of Troy Aikman, in terms of accuracy. He’s got a lot of good quarterbacks wrapped up in Mark Sanchez...."

Draft grades as a whole are pointless until about three years after the draft. That goes for everyone from Mel Kiper all the way down to those of us that participated in the "how would you grade the draft?" thread on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back