Draft goes on, but what about UDFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Prolonged lockout hurts undrafted rookies - AFC East Blog - ESPN

Absent a collective bargaining agreement, the draft still will take place April 28-30. But players who aren't selected in those seven rounds won't be allowed to sign with teams because free agency won't exist.
Rookie free agents are necessary to building a roster and maintaining a personnel budget. Although this year's undrafted rookies eventually will get opportunities to find work once there's a new CBA, a prolonged lockout will cripple their chances of making an immediate impact.

When a new CBA is struck, veteran free agents will overshadow the undrafted rookies. Under normal circumstances, the veterans have been picked over long before the draft begins. That allows front offices to concentrate solely on the newbies. We can expect a free-for-all this time.

I hadn't thought about this, but it makes sense. No CBA = no UDFAs after the draft.

Can't sign them doesn't mean you can't keep tabs on them. I'd have to gues that - if there IS a training camp - the Pats will have several of the better UDFAs on the roster anyway.

Actually, if the Pats can get "their guys" with the first 4-5 picks, it's not impossible that they trade 4th-5th rounders for multiple later picks to scoop up a few guys who'd otherwise be UDFA.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but with the lockout, and no UDFA signings, it could give agents time to re-organize and get their guys to go to the best place for them.

Usually after the draft, there's a huge flurry of phone calls and invites and players who sat through 3 nerve-wracking days may jump at the first offer they get, even if it isn't the best fit for them.

Was thinking of LeGarrette Blount changing his mind last year from the 49ers to Tennessee. He hadn't signed a contract, so it was okay, though it annoyed some 49ers.

I wonder if the delay will give teams a better chance to re-organize as well, and wonder if that might lead to more bidding wars for some coveted UDFAs.

There was no one worth drafting in the 6th or 7th rounds. I don't see how re-organizing and lots of study will cause bidding wars for those not drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes