PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft/Get Wheels; BJGE our 3rd Down Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sproles is the guy I compared him to. Looking at the numbers last year for Woodhead in 14 games vs Sproules best numbers.

Woodhead

97/547 5.6 Rushing
34/379 11.1 Receiving
926 yards from scrimmage

Sproles

61/330 5.4 Rushing (2008)
59/520 8.8 Receiving (2010)
840 yards from scrimmage (2009)

Pretty impressive.

Somehow Woodhead is widely perceived as just a "gimmick" or "good story." Try digging into the numbers and comparing his size, speed, quickness and production with the elite 3rd-down backs of the past decade. You'll find that in stature and athleticism he's a dead ringer for Leon Washington, and that the numbers he put up this season compare well with the best seasons of Washington, Darren Sproles, Kevin Faulk, etc. And unlike Green-Ellis, Woodhead already signed a contract extension. I think you can write his name in as 3rd-down back for the next few years.

True. In 14 games, Woodhead handily beat all of Faulk's stat averages (pro-rated for 14 games) except one - fumbles. Faulk averaged 2.25 fumbles per 14 games (though the majority were early in his career); Woody had one all year.

In fairness, Faulk was also the Pats primary KR from 1999-2002, averaging 34 returns for 787 yds per season (23.1 yds/KR) and scoring twice on KRs in his career - numbers that, of course, Tate beat easily this season. [Note: Tate's receiving numbers and total YfS were also better than Faulk's seasonal averages.]

True. In 14 games, Woodhead handily beat all of Faulk's stat averages (pro-rated for 14 games) except one - fumbles. Faulk averaged 2.25 fumbles per 14 games (though the majority were early in his career); Woody had one all year.

In fairness, Faulk was also the Pats primary KR from 1999-2002, averaging 34 returns for 787 yds per season (23.1 yds/KR) and scoring twice on KRs in his career - numbers that, of course, Tate beat easily this season. [Note: Tate's receiving numbers and total YfS were also better than Faulk's seasonal averages.]

i think if faulk comes back its more out of respect than talent at this point. Woodhead is more talented then faulk at this stage of his career. We still need a pounder though. i love Woodhead, i mean LOVE Woodhead. but i saw him get picked up and thrown around alot last year on contact. we could use a guy that gets yards on his own, can make people miss and break tackles. Ingram???...a man can dream...

This makes no sense. Faulk and Woodhead are the 3rd down backs for the foreseeable future, and while picking up another after 2011 to replace Faulk and cover the role with Woodhead makes sense moving GReen-Ellis into it doesn't. I can see bringing in a power back and a speedster to fill out RB and replace Morris and taylor but changing obvious roles doesn't make much sense to me.

View attachment 3539

:ugh: Woody and Faulk are not 3rd down backs -- they're change-of-pace backs to employ on any down.

That's definitely a better term to fit the reality of modern offenses, but I think "3rd-down-back" is typically taken to mean that role. (You still call a safety a safety even when he's blitzing, right?)

It should also be noted that Woodhead is a pretty damn good zone back. He's got very good plant and burst ability and cuts quite well. He's a different player than Faulk who is more of a footwork guy. Woodhead is a small slasher. Different games.

Is Tate anything more than a Kick Returner?

If he does not have a year two leap this year, I almost think he becomes a career ST Kick Returner.

Is Tate anything more than a Kick Returner?

If he does not have a year two leap this year, I almost think he becomes a career ST Kick Returner.

The only guy the Pats have had during BB's tenure who put up better KR stats than Tate did this season was Ellis Hobbs (for one season).

In terms of receiving (I posted the stats in another thread), Tate's one-year production nearly surpassed the THREE-year total production of Bethel Johnson and Tate caught a better % of his targets.

So, y'know, not shabby for a "rookie" 3rd-rounder who had been effectively out of football for nearly two years.

Yup!!

Sproles is the guy I compared him to. Looking at the numbers last year for Woodhead in 14 games vs Sproules best numbers.

Woodhead

97/547 5.6 Rushing
34/379 11.1 Receiving
926 yards from scrimmage

Sproles

61/330 5.4 Rushing (2008)
59/520 8.8 Receiving (2010)
840 yards from scrimmage (2009)

Pretty impressive.

Yup, Yup!!

Somehow Woodhead is widely perceived as just a "gimmick" or "good story." Try digging into the numbers and comparing his size, speed, quickness and production with the elite 3rd-down backs of the past decade. You'll find that in stature and athleticism he's a dead ringer for Leon Washington, and that the numbers he put up this season compare well with the best seasons of Washington, Darren Sproles, Kevin Faulk, etc. And unlike Green-Ellis, Woodhead already signed a contract extension.

I think you can write his name in as 3rd-down back for the next few years.

Yup, Yup, Yup!!

It should also be noted that Woodhead is a pretty damn good zone back. He's got very good plant and burst ability and cuts quite well. He's a different player than Faulk who is more of a footwork guy. Woodhead is a small slasher. Different games.

Yup.

That 36 Yard BLAST against Indy was a CLASSIC CutBack Run. :cool:

I saw Danny WoodHead coming a MILE away, and I was NOT alone, on that.

Those who're consumed with the notion that you have to draft a Back in the first 2 or 3 rounds to get a major impact player...are ~ respectfully submitted ~ deluding themselves BADLY.

Danny WoodHead's got some Magic...And there's every reason to think he'll be an integral part of MULTIPLE Championship Drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down