PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game- wanna play

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We all know that draft list and mocks mean very little this time of the year. Even my draft day list means very little.

so, here's draft game. Go to the GBN site http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm.

They just published a top 205 players list efff 2/9/06. Using that ranking list pick for each pickthey have:21,52,75,86,105,117,132,181,212.

Rules: you can't pick players listed before the number pick of the Patriots. The first two round you can only pick a player ranked from 21-32 1ST Round and 52-64 for the Second Round.

After that you can only pick player ranked at or after the Patriots pick and before the next Patriot pick. In other words for #75 you can only pick a player ranked between 75 and 85.

As the list is only 205 ranked players you can add anyone ranked after 181 or not even ranked.

OK. Everyone get it?

#21 Bobby Carpenter OSU enough to play inside, fast enough to play outside.
#52 Charles Spencer -Big road grader gaurd from Pitt
#75 CedricGriffen CB Tex Bigger CB who could play Safety
#86 Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford I love this kid
#105 Jason Avant, WR Mich
#117 Leon Washinton RB, Fla St could be a good find
#132 Nate Salley FS-big hitter
#181 Kevin Boothe OG, Cornell
#212 Jeff King, TE VA tech- we always draft a TE

OK= pick it apart but not until after you do yours

Ok heres my listing and going off the rules I would have picked a couple of players I liked ranked lower which I will list too but with that being said here is my listing.

#21 Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State (I would have selected Richard Marshall)
#52 Greg Blue S Georgia ( I would have selected Darnell Bing)
#75 Andrew Whitworth OT LSU
#86 Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame
#105 Fred Roach LB Alabama
#117 Johnny Jolly DT Texas A&M
#132 Dwayne Slay S Texas Tech
#181 Lawrence Vickers FB Colorado
#212 Rocky Mcintosh LB Miami

Ok, I'll play! I realize now that I may have picked a couple players ranked lower than allowed...but why isn't that allowed, anyway?

#21 Manny Lawson, DE - even before the season started, this was a guy who leaped out at me. Risky, but with huge upside as an OLB.
#52 Darnell Bing, S - exceptional athlete for the position
#75 Andrew Whitworth, OT - Not a world-beater, but ready to start and succeed at RT.
#86 Babatunde Oshinowo, DT - I'm not as high on him as some, but NT prospects are hard to come by and this is solid value.
#105 Kai Parham, LB - Another solid value pick who should fit the Patriots' scheme well.
#117 Mike Bell, RB - Does everything pretty well.
#132 Stanley McClover, DE - An absolute steal here. Yes, he's an awful lot like Lawson...that's fine with me.
#181 Cory Rodgers, WR - underrated playmaker, and a terrific KR
#212 David Anderson WR - considered to have the best hands in the country
(If you like, substitute Brandon Marshall for one of the WRs to add size.)

You know something? This is TOO good a draft. I'd make an overall criticism of the GBN board that they're dramatically undervaluing 3-4 style defensive players. I shouldn't be able to walk away with Oshinowo, Parham AND McClover starting late in round 3. In fact, I'll bet they're all gone before #86 on draft day.

This game turned out to be a lot harder than it looked. Every pick there was a couple different guys I wanted, or in one case 0 guys I wanted.

21. This pick came down to Antonio Cromartie CB FSU and Manny Lawson DE/OLB NC State for me. I am a huge Cromartie fan so I went with him, since he has the ability to be a shutdown CB and I was able to get a DE/OLB later in the draft.

52. Since I passed on Lawson in the 1st Tapp and Wimbley were both appealing but I decided instead with Daryn Colledge OT Boise State to sure up our OL. Can play OT or OG.

75. Maybe a slight reach but I went with Todd Watkins WR BYU. If I didn't already have Cromartie I would have picked Cedric Griffin.

86. I went with Pat Watkins S FSU simply because I think this was the best value I was going to get at safety considering Dwayne Slay missed the 117-131 by one slot.

105. This was an easy one: Kai Parham LB Virginia.

117. This was a horrible group of players. I didn't want any one of them and would have gladly grabbed another player from the next bracket. But since I couldn't I went with Sir Henry Anderson NT Oregon State to be Wilfork's backup. If I could have gotten Slay here I would have taken Derek Hagan WR Arizona State instead of Pat Watkins and solved our WR issues with 2 quality rookies, but it didn't work out that well.

132. So many players here that I wanted, especially Mike Haas, Greg Jennings, and Danieal Manning, but Stanley McGlover DE/OLB Auburn is a steal at this spot and solves our need for a tweener

181. I went with Kedric Golston DE/DT Georgia to add some depth at that position. The player I really wanted was David Pittman, but since I already added Cromartie that is already 4 young CBs in Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, and Cromartie and I think 5 would be overdoing it. Other options here could be WR that aren't on the list such as Cody Rodgers TCU or Jeremy Bloom Colorado.

212. I went with a player who wasn't on the list in Cedric Humes RB Virginia Tech. Not really sure why he wasn't on there but he is a steal here. I would have liked to have gotten an RB earlier but this was good value and he should be able to fit our system.

I would have liked to have drafted a TE but just didn't find one in a position I wanted. I think a draft like this would fill all our needs with 2 young LBs, 2 young DBs, a solid OL with the ability to contribute right away, 2 young DL to add depth, a speedy WR and a powerful RB.

Last edited:
OK PatsNutMe I'll play along

I'll never be hired by the Patriots Scouting staff but......

#21 Bobby Carpenter LB This kid a patriot material but I like Laurence Maroney if on the board
#52 Joseph Addai RB No brainer
#75 Daniel Bullocks SS
#86 Maurice Stoval WR this is stealing here
#105 Kai Parkam LB another solid steal here
#117 Zaif Streif OT why not? he's a bull
#132 Dwayne Slay FS I see Eugene Wilson playing corner this year
#181 Cooper Wallace TE we always take a tight end
#212 I have no idea on this pick...... a kicker?
:rocker: :rocker:

PATSNUTme said:
We all know that draft list and mocks mean very little this time of the year. Even my draft day list means very little.

so, here's draft game. Go to the GBN site http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm.

They just published a top 205 players list efff 2/9/06. Using that ranking list pick for each pickthey have:21,52,75,86,105,117,132,181,212.

Rules: you can't pick players listed before the number pick of the Patriots. The first two round you can only pick a player ranked from 21-32 1ST Round and 52-64 for the Second Round.

After that you can only pick player ranked at or after the Patriots pick and before the next Patriot pick. In other words for #75 you can only pick a player ranked between 75 and 85.

As the list is only 205 ranked players you can add anyone ranked after 181 or not even ranked.

OK. Everyone get it?

#21 Bobby Carpenter OSU enough to play inside, fast enough to play outside.
#52 Charles Spencer -Big road grader gaurd from Pitt
#75 CedricGriffen CB Tex Bigger CB who could play Safety
#86 Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford I love this kid
#105 Jason Avant, WR Mich
#117 Leon Washinton RB, Fla St could be a good find
#132 Nate Salley FS-big hitter
#181 Kevin Boothe OG, Cornell
#212 Jeff King, TE VA tech- we always draft a TE

OK= pick it apart but not until after you do yours
Out of idle curiosity, what prompted you to limit the available choices so severely? Couldn't we have more fun ripping each other if the 21st selection got to use all the players available from 21-52?

In the mean time:
#21 Manny Lawson DE/OLB NC State
#52 Joel Klopfenstien TE Colorado
#75 Joe Toledo OT Washington
#86 Gerrick McPherson CB Maryland
#105 Montavious Stanley DT Louisville
#117 Kai Parham ILB Virginia
#132 Brian Iwuh ILB/SS Colorado
#181 David Pittman CB Northwest State (LA)
#212 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida

:p UDFA Brandon Guillory DE/OLB LA-Monroe
UDFA Eric Henderson DE GA Tech
UDFA Daniel Federkeil DE/DT Calgary
UDFA Chris Gocong DE Cal-Poly
UDFA P.J. Pope RB Bowling Green
UDFA P.J. Daniels RB GA Tech
UDFA David Anderson WR Colorado State
UDFA Ed Hinkel WR Iowa
UDFA Maurice Avery WR Memphis
UDFA Bob Dockerty TE Wisconsin-Oshkosh
UDFA Brad Butler OT Virginia
UDFA Jabari Levey OT South Carolina
UDFA Richard Collier OT Valdosta State
UDFA Todd Londot C/OG Miami (Ohio)
UDFA Jason Palermo OG/C Wisconsin

#21, DE/OLB Manny Lawson, NC, without a doubt
#52, OT Darryn Colledge, Boise, reminds me of Mankins and Kaczur
#61, RB Joseph Addai, LSU (trade up using #75 + #105)... I cant find anyone worth the pick at #75
#86, WR Hank Baskett, New Mexico, big target with good hands
#117, LB Tim McGarigle, Northwestern, one of my favorite college players, a tackling machine
#132, QB Brett Basanez, Northwestern... back to back Wildcats!? what are the odds
#181, SS Jarrad Page, UCLA, big, physical and athletic
#212, DE Mike Kudla, Ohio State, playmaker

I find it amazing that the talent suddenly "runs out" after about #70.

Results:
- Lawson is the heir apparent at Willie's position
- Colledge replaces Ashworth and could squeeze Kaczur to RG if Neal chooses free agency
- Addai provides good all around RB play backing up Dillon and Faulk
- Baskett is the big WR target the Pats haven't had in years
- I see McGarigle as a very Don Davis type of a player for us, maybe to replace Larry Izzo eventually as the heart and soul of the ST.
- Basanez takes the #3 QB spot; I've seen enough from Cassel to give him the backup position. With that, I'd rather draft a #3 QB instead of signing a journeyman. Basanez will turn some heads in pre-season.
- Page follows in the line of Dexter Reid, Guss Scott and James Sanders. Big play potential on ST, plus a quality prospect at SS.
- Kudla was an underappreciated player at OSU. Reminds me of Vrabel coming out of college.

Another way to cut this:

#21, DE/OLB Manny Lawson, NC, without a doubt
#32, CB Richard Marshall (trade up using #52 +#75)
#86, WR Hank Baskett, New Mexico, big target with good hands
#105, OG Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota, 4-year starter w/great mobility
#117, LB Tim McGarigle, Northwestern, one of my favorite college players, a tackling machine
#132, QB Brett Basanez, Northwestern... back to back Wildcats!? what are the odds
#181, SS Jarrad Page, UCLA, big, physical and athletic
#212, DE Mike Kudla, Ohio State, playmaker

This version is a bit better, because we get two legit starters, Baskett who should develop into a solid #2. Setterstrom has the tools to replace Neal as a rookie, if needed. The rest of the draft class is the same.

I lose out on Addai, but that's no big deal-- I think we're fine at RB for another year. And Setterstrom isn't as versatile as Colledge on the OL. But, in exchange we land Marshall, who projects as a legitimate #1 CB for us.

This is better. Aligns with our needs more closely.

Actually , I don't agree with GNB rankings on some.

As far as the rules are concerned, there have to be some rules in any game and that is what I came up with.

The rankings are going to change almost every two weeks. So, if someone else wants to set up a new game based on a different list and rankings, that will be great.

So far I like everyones list.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Out of idle curiosity, what prompted you to limit the available choices so severely? Couldn't we have more fun ripping each other if the 21st selection got to use all the players available from 21-52?

In the mean time:
#21 Manny Lawson DE/OLB NC State
#52 Joel Klopfenstien TE Colorado
#75 Joe Toledo OT Washington
#86 Gerrick McPherson CB Maryland
#105 Montavious Stanley DT Louisville
#117 Kai Parham ILB Virginia
#132 Brian Iwuh ILB/SS Colorado
#181 David Pittman CB Northwest State (LA)
#212 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida

:p UDFA Brandon Guillory DE/OLB LA-Monroe
UDFA Eric Henderson DE GA Tech
UDFA Daniel Federkeil DE/DT Calgary
UDFA Chris Gocong DE Cal-Poly
UDFA P.J. Pope RB Bowling Green
UDFA P.J. Daniels RB GA Tech
UDFA David Anderson WR Colorado State
UDFA Ed Hinkel WR Iowa
UDFA Maurice Avery WR Memphis
UDFA Bob Dockerty TE Wisconsin-Oshkosh
UDFA Brad Butler OT Virginia
UDFA Jabari Levey OT South Carolina
UDFA Richard Collier OT Valdosta State
UDFA Todd Londot C/OG Miami (Ohio)
UDFA Jason Palermo OG/C Wisconsin

I did it to make it a little more difficult and to be a PIA, which I'm good at.

When more realistic ratings come out over the next 2.5 months we can do this a gain maybe every couple of weeks. The GBN list was the first that I have seen so far that went over 200 and was recent and free.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
So far I like everyones list.

Me, too. Except I'm cooling off on Stanley McGlover, who seems a bit too popular. I want to like him because he fits our physical profile for LB.

But I did some more reading on his situation, and some interviews with him. It seems clear from what I've read that the kid should not have come out this year. He is too immature to realize he's not mature. The physical tools are latent, but the football skills haven't totally set in. He reads a bit like a vapid and distracted version of Tully Banta-Cain, who was a star in college too.

Another year would have made him a Day One pick, but now he's likely to be camp fodder-- he's got a 50/50 shot at latching on with the team that drafts him.

Reminds me a bit of Greg Lee, good talent, but bad decision making. If you cant manage your life, how are you going to focus on the game?

Just curious....

Hey all, I already posted a list based on PATSNUTme's parameters....
What possible scenerio do any of you seeing us getting Detroits #9 so we can take lendale white... Our 1st plus a third rounder and next years 3rd? I would like to move up this year for white but I doubt BB does it, more likely they trade down to later in the round for carpenter at 27 to 30. I may have the up and down terms screwed up but you all know what I am saying.

Feep_FLA said:
Hey all, I already posted a list based on PATSNUTme's parameters....
What possible scenerio do any of you seeing us getting Detroits #9 so we can take lendale white... Our 1st plus a third rounder and next years 3rd? I would like to move up this year for white but I doubt BB does it, more likely they trade down to later in the round for carpenter at 27 to 30. I may have the up and down terms screwed up but you all know what I am saying.

Not going to happen.

By the book, to trade from #21 to #9 would take our 2nd (#52) and 3rd (#75). Or our 3rd this year and 1st next year. That's too steep a price for White. I wouldn't even do it for Chad Greenway.

What I might do is trade up from #21 to #16, which would only cost us our 3rd rounder, if either White or Greenway slip that far. BB has shown a willingness to move up for a player he likes in the first: Graham and Warren were both trade up situations.

Here's the standard value chart for trading draft picks. It's not exact, but GMs use it as a rule of thumb. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8358748

that would be too much

Ouch, that would be too steep to move to #9. I would never do that. Thanks for the weblink Rook. The more I look at our position the more I like Bobby carpenter. Just a hunch.

patchick said:
Ok, I'll play! I realize now that I may have picked a couple players ranked lower than allowed...but why isn't that allowed, anyway?

#21 Manny Lawson, DE - even before the season started, this was a guy who leaped out at me. Risky, but with huge upside as an OLB.
#52 Darnell Bing, S - exceptional athlete for the position
#75 Andrew Whitworth, OT - Not a world-beater, but ready to start and succeed at RT.
#86 Babatunde Oshinowo, DT - I'm not as high on him as some, but NT prospects are hard to come by and this is solid value.
#105 Kai Parham, LB - Another solid value pick who should fit the Patriots' scheme well.
#117 Mike Bell, RB - Does everything pretty well.
#132 Stanley McClover, DE - An absolute steal here. Yes, he's an awful lot like Lawson...that's fine with me.
#181 Cory Rodgers, WR - underrated playmaker, and a terrific KR
#212 David Anderson WR - considered to have the best hands in the country
(If you like, substitute Brandon Marshall for one of the WRs to add size.)

You know something? This is TOO good a draft. I'd make an overall criticism of the GBN board that they're dramatically undervaluing 3-4 style defensive players. I shouldn't be able to walk away with Oshinowo, Parham AND McClover starting late in round 3. In fact, I'll bet they're all gone before #86 on draft day.

If we could,on draft day, walk away with your picks, I'd be walkng on air.

I agree with your acessmetn of the GBN rankings. But, so far , they are the only rankings that go up through 200, from a somewhat reliable soarce that I've seen so far.

It's still 21/2 months until the draft.

I'd love this to happen...

But I think some of the rankings are skewed. Still I'd be ecstatic if the Pats could pull this one off.

#21 Manny Lawson, DE - Wille Mac's successor
#52 Darnell Bing, S - same for Rodney
#75 Derrick Martin CB outstanding athlete from a small program
#86 Hank Baskett - Big possesion WR with great hands
#105 Kai Parham, LB - I'm OK with him but I'd take Roach here as well.
#117 Tim Day - TE with great hands and good speed
#132 Dontrelle Moore - Slippery RB with well developed skills
#181 Calvin Lowry SS - Another safety from a strong program
#212 James Wyche DE - Great player on a bad team so overlooked, OLB conversion.

UDA Garrett McIntyre DE Fresno State (WAC Defensive player of the year)
UDA Jeremy Bloom WR/KR from Colorado who is also a skier
UDA Chris Gocong raw DE/OLD from a small program. This year's TBC.
UDA Terrance Pennington T gotta take another homey (NM)

Guys that I couldn't fit that I would love:

Steve Fifita stumpy NT and run stuffer
Cook - Center from NM. Unusual C who can play either T position.

By the numbers on day one....
21 - Ashton Youboty (21) CB Ohio St
52 - Joseph Addai (65) RB LSU
75 - Spencer Havner (83) LB UCLA
86 - Maurice Stovall (89) WR ND
Day one fills major areas of concern, day two is BPA.

*Ashton Youboty CB
Davin Joseph OG
Elvis Dumervil DE
Maurice Stovall WR
Dawan Landry SS
Fred Matua OG
David Thomas TE
Scott Ware SS

By the numbers day 1

#21 Manny Lawson or Bobby Carpenter
#52 Martin Nance wr has to fall one spot
#75 Daniel Bullocks ss big hitter, in the rodney mold
#86 Hank Baskett wr big, tall target w/speed

Give or take one player here or there, there is not one draft here that I wouldn't be happy with.

That's why the real draft by BB and Scott will look nothing like any of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes