PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game 3/14/14 1.0

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's begin our annual Patriots draft game.

As of now before comp picks are awarded, the Patriots have picks #29,62,93,&125.they have 2 6th round picks and 1 7th.

Rules:
1.You may pick a player rated up to 3 slots above the Patriots #29 pick or any player rated below #29.
2. Rounds 2,3,&4 you may pick a player rated 5 slots above the above the Patriots pick # or any player rated below that #.
3. Rounds 6 & 7 you may pick any player rated in that round but none not rated in that round. Example: a 6th round pick cannot be rated a 5th round pick and a 7th round pick cannot be rated a 6th round pick.
4. NO TRADES: You can do a trade draft AFTER you have done the draft by the rules above.
5. For this exercise we will use the CBS Sportsline rakings.
NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
6. No mocking other peoples drafts until after you have done your draft to be mocked.

Good Luck and happy drafting.

Ok I'll go first.
#29 Jace Amaro TE Tex Tech (alt Truitt DT- ND)
#74 Weston Richburg C Colorado State
#93 AJ MCCarron QB, Alabama ( trade Mallett for a draft choice)
#125 Carun Reid DT Princton
6th Walt Aikens Wr Liberty- ranked #207
6th Deandre Coleman- DT Cal Ranked #200
7th John Urshel OG, Penn State.

I have seen some of these payers ranked higher or lower on different sites and publications. I hope the Patriots try to trade down with pick #29, unless a player falls in their lap.

29. Rasheed Hageman DT
62. Weston Richburg C
93. CJ Fiedorowicz TE
125. Christian Jones LB
6th. Colt Lyerla TE
6th. Jeff Janis WR
7th. Jonathan Dowling FS

Not very happy I missed out on A couple more dt's. Overall I'd be pretty happy with this draft though.

1. Stephon Tuitt - DT - Notre Dame
2. Jordan Matthews - WR - Vandy
3. Dennis Swanson - C - Arkansas
4. Antone Exum - DB - Va Tech
6. Max Bullough - LB - Mich St
6. D'Anthony Thomas - RB - Oregon
7. Zach Kerr - DT - Delaware

26 Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
62 Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
93 A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
125 Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
6 Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie State
6 De'Anthony Thomas, KR, Oregon
7 Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg

7. Zach Kerr - DT - Delaware

Kerr at #305 is a major anomaly on their board, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted by round 4.

More broadly, I'm having a ton of trouble with this and other mocking exercises this year because I can't find anybody I want to spend #29 on. Barring a surprise fall, I'd be looking hard for a trading partner. I ended up with:

29. Jimmy Ward S
62. Dominique Easley DT
93. CJ Fiedorowicz TE
125. Christian Jones LB
6th. Zack Kerr DT
6th. Gator Hoskins HB
7th. Dustin Vaughan QB

29 - Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
62 - Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville
93 - Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
125 - Christian Jones, LB, Florida State
6th - Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon
6th - Colt Lyerla, TE, Formerly of Oregon
7th - John Urschel, OG, Penn State

Kerr at #305 is a major anomaly on their board, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted by round 4.

More broadly, I'm having a ton of trouble with this and other mocking exercises this year because I can't find anybody I want to spend #29 on. Barring a surprise fall, I'd be looking hard for a trading partner. I ended up with:

29. Jimmy Ward S
62. Dominique Easley DT
93. CJ Fiedorowicz TE
125. Christian Jones LB
6th. Zack Kerr DT
6th. Gator Hoskins HB
7th. Dustin Vaughan QB

I know. I was just going by OP's rules:) There usually isn't a great prospect at 29. I think that's why we like to trade down. If we let Vince walk, I wouldn't be against going DT 1 and 2 if the right ones are there. I like Odell Beckham if he's there. He'd be more Gronk insurance than the te's. If Gronk can't go, I just want a te who can block. The wr's are better receivers than the te's and in theory help the passing game more than Gronk Lite.

More broadly, I'm having a ton of trouble with this and other mocking exercises this year because I can't find anybody I want to spend #29 on. Barring a surprise fall, I'd be looking hard for a trading partner.

Yup. That's why (1) I didn't bother with this exercise, and (2) I keep coming back to either trading up for Aaron Donald or trading back for Dominique Easley.

Yup. That's why (1) I didn't bother with this exercise, and (2) I keep coming back to either trading up for Aaron Donald or trading back for Dominique Easley.

More than one way to skin a cat. Drafting like that suits the Steelers and Giants pretty good. Draft the BPA. They're not as good as the Pats. But, they ain't shabby.

The prospect rankings are pretty stale. You look at who their analysts are taking even in a one round mock and there not like the rankings. They have moved some guys up like Donte Moncrief and Phillip Gaines who lit up the combine but overall they need one of their analysts to go through and update them.

The prospect rankings are pretty stale. You look at who their analysts are taking even in a one round mock and there not like the rankings. They have moved some guys up like Donte Moncrief and Phillip Gaines who lit up the combine but overall they need one of their analysts to go through and update them.

It seems as if there is big differences in the ratings of players by different draft services this year. I've seen some players ranked high 2nd by some and 4th by others.

Perhaps it's because this draft is deeper and more talented (according to some of the "experts") at most positions, that explains the variance in rankings.

Also there doesn't seem to be that one
love.gif
player for most here. YET!

love.gif

Yep, I am totally binkyless! (I don't count anybody I expect to be gone in the top half of round 1.)

A few players do give me that "Patriots feeling" -- e.g. Joel Bitonio -- but nobody makes me plot and dream. :)

It seems as if there is big differences in the ratings of players by different draft services this year. I've seen some players ranked high 2nd by some and 4th by others.

Perhaps it's because this draft is deeper and more talented (according to some of the "experts") at most positions, that explains the variance in rankings.

love.gif

That is part of it.

Aaron Donald has reach Barwinian binki-status on the board.

Yep, I am totally binkyless! (I don't count anybody I expect to be gone in the top half of round 1.)

A few players do give me that "Patriots feeling" -- e.g. Joel Bitonio -- but nobody makes me plot and dream. :)

There's a few players right there for me but they're not super binkies like Gronk, Watt or Barwin to name a few. I really like Donald but not to the point of trading a first and a second to get him like some are advocating. Ebron could be one but he'll be gone.

Kyle Fuller, Jimmie Ward, ASJ, Phillip Gaines, Kyle Van Noy and Christian Jones have all been on the cusp of being must haves but there just not quite binkies.

The Barwinian evolution just hasn't happened for me.

I would love for him to fall to 29 to see if Bill would pick him. Actually I would love for Bill to write a book just on their year to year draft process and who they almost picked, what deals fell apart, etc. The rumors that their entire draft room groaned when the Eagles took Stewart Bradley. You know you're a draft nerd when you have dreams of him writing that book when he walks away.

#29,62,93,&125

29 Brandin Cooks (Hageman, Shazier, Ward)
62 Dominique Easley (Watkins, Landry, Quarles)
93 Joel Bitonio
125 Christian Jones (Caraun Reid)
6 Kevin Pierre Louis
6 Aaron Colvin
6. Ben Malena
7. Blake Annen

#29 Ra'Shede Hageman DT 6'6 310. Offers tremendous potential as well as flexibility to line up on the inside of the formation. If I'm gambling in round 1, this is a guy who is hard to pass up. Has some bust potential, but proper coaching might turn him into a beast.
#74 Donte Moncrief WR 6'2 220. Gives us size and explosive ability on offense.
#93 Travis Swanson C 6'5 312. Protecting Brady in the upcoming season is a priority and we just cut Wendell.
#125 Dion Bailey S 6' 210 lbs. A ballhawking safety who has had experience playing linebacker as well at a big program (USC). Compares to Weddle.
6th Phillip Gaines CB 6' 193. An understudy for Revis and insurance in case of injury.
6th Brandon Coleman WR 6'6 225. A Rutgers product. Need I say more? The experiment I'd like to try, can we convert him to cornerback or safety? He'd make one heckuva towering defender.
7th Brent Urban DE 6'7 295. Can't pass on this kid's athleticism and size at this point in the draft. He may be raw, but let's see if BB can mold him into a monster.

I like the Jimmie Ward love here :)

But unfortunately....

29. Ra'Shede Hageman
62. Telvin Smith
93. CJ Fiedorowicz
125. Philip Gaines
6a. Matt Patchan
6b. Michael Campanaro
7. Zach Kerr

If I was to pick two players to be Patriots right now, it's probably Hageman and Telvin Smith which is why I have them one and two here. It kills me not to have ASJ. In reality, I'd probably trade up from 62 to get him in this scenario.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back