PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game #2 3/3/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mostly borrowing from PATSNUTme, here, but note that, to make things a little more realistic, I'm expanding the ranges slightly on the later picks.

Lets' start the annual series of draft games.Don't worry about looking foolish, I do it for a living and am still standing.

So here's how it will work this time.

Using the list below, make your Patriots picks.

For first-round picks and pick 33, you can choose a player ranked no more than THREE slots ahead (e.g., as high as #14 for #17, etc.).
For day two picks (anything from 34-96), you can choose a player ranked no more than SIX slots ahead.
For day three picks (anything after 96), you can choose a player ranked no more than TEN slots ahead.

NFL Draft - 2011 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Here are the Patriots picks as of now:17,28,33,60,74,92,123,156,&184

After you have made those picks, you can do trades as long as they make sense using the trade value board. [Note: same rules as above apply; if you have the Pats trade down to 43, for example, they can take a player at 37 or lower.]

The Huddle Report - NFL Draft Research and Analysis

NO MOCKING ANYONE'S MOCK UNTIL YOU HAVE POSTED YOUR MOCK SO IT CAN BE EQUALLY MOCKED.

There are no winners or losers unless you are a Jets fan. this is just to see where the thinking is for players at this time.

17,28,33,60,74,92,123,156,&184

17+28 = 1610
12+44 = 1660

12 = Robert Quinn, DE, NC

33 and 92 to move up to 26

26 = Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

44= Danny Watkins, G, Baylor

60 = DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

74 = Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College

123 = Owen Marecic, FB/TE/LB, Stanford

156 = Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

184 = Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford.

My reasoning:

Quinn is going to be a monster at NFL level.
Carimi opposite Vollmer (If we sign Light, then Carimi doesn't get forced to start)
Watkins can start opposite Connolly. If we re-sign Mankins, then he competes with Connolly for the start.
Murray can catch the ball, run the ball and fits nicely into our backfield. If he's gone, I take Todman.
Herzlich could make an inspirational speech each week that would have 45 players kicking the door down to play. And he's still got to get healthy from the cancer.
Marecic fills a need.
McElroy can compete with Hoyer and maybe get on the Practice Squad.
Whalen is a developmental prospect. I think he can be an NFL receiver.

This draft fills the needs and brings in 3-4 possible starters at the opening of the draft as well as Marecic.

Last edited:
My "Lots of trades" mock

17 - DE Watts

*Trade* Pats send #33 & #74 (800 points) to KC for #21 (800 points)

21 - OLB Kerrigan

*Trade* Pats send #28 & #156 (689) to Denver for #46 & #67 (695)

*Trade* Pats send #46 (440) to Philly for #54 & #103 (448)

54 - C/G Wisniewski

*Trade* Pats send # 60 and #184 (318) to Seattle for #57 (330)

57 - WR Baldwin

67 - T/G Ijalana

*Trade* - Pats send #92 & #103 (220) to Detriot for #75 (215)

75 - RB Thomas

124 - OLB/DE Romeus

The start of the draft with 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92, 124, 156 & 184
The end the draft with 17, 21, 54, 57, 67, 75 & 124

And Get:
17 Watt
21 Kerrigan
54 Wisniewski
57 Baldwin
67 Ijalana
75 Thomas
124 Romeus

DE, OLB, G/C, WR, G/T, RB, OLB/DE

I was just tryting to figure out a way to get Watt and Kerrigan in the same draft along with 2 OL, RB and a WR and this is what happened.

17,28,33,60,74,92,123,156,&184

17+28 = 1610
12+44 = 1660

12 = Robert Quinn, DE, NC

33 and 92 to move up to 26

26 = Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

44= Danny Watkins, G, Baylor

60 = DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

74 = Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College

123 = Owen Marecic, FB/TE/LB, Stanford

156 = Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

184 = Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford.

My reasoning:

Quinn is going to be a monster at NFL level.
Carimi opposite Vollmer (If we sign Light, then Carimi doesn't get forced to start)
Watkins can start opposite Connolly. If we re-sign Mankins, then he competes with Connolly for the start.
Murray can catch the ball, run the ball and fits nicely into our backfield. If he's gone, I take Todman.
Herzlich could make an inspirational speech each week that would have 45 players kicking the door down to play. And he's still got to get healthy from the cancer.
Marecic fills a need.
McElroy can compete with Hoyer and maybe get on the Practice Squad.
Whalen is a developmental prospect. I think he can be an NFL receiver.

This draft fills the needs and brings in 3-4 possible starters at the opening of the draft as well as Marecic.

I was thinking of a way to get Quinn. I like it.

Trade 17+74 = 1170 for 25+37 = 1250 (I think that's close enough)
Trade 33 = 580 for 46+89 =585
Trade 184 = 18.8 for 202+224 = 15.6

25. Mike Pouncey OG
28. Justin Houston OLB
37. Muhammad Wilkerson DL
60. Kendall Hunter RB
89. Ahmad Black SS
92. Jarvis Jenkins DL
123. Greg Romeus OLB
156. Zach Hurd OG
202. Derek Hall OT
224. DeAndre Brown WR

Last edited:
17 DE Watt
21 DE Kerrigan
42 WR Terry Smith (or Hankerson)
60 OG/C Weisnewski
74 RB Murray
92 OT Carpenter
138 OG/C Moffitt
186 RB Scott

TRADES
28 plus 92 for 21
33 for 42 + 104 + 92
104 + 123 for 92
156 + 202 for 138

I would fail my own mock for choosing a WR in the 2nd. However, I was able to do this only because I knew I could get Carpenter and Moffitt. Otherwise, I would have drafted Watkins at 42.

No trade version.

17) OLB Aldon Smith. Binky extraordinaire. Smooth, explosive, agile, balanced, and ferocious. And also, this: Missouri's Smith says OLB move suits him fine - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

28) RT Derek Sherrod. Good movement skills and consistent player, although maybe not elite. Will develop well under Scar. Vollmer moves to the left to form an elite run blocking T/G tandem with Mankins.

33) DE Muhammed Wilkerson. Rugged, durable, productive; needs to improve his leverage and pad level, but disengages from blocks almost at will. Needs some development, but should become a long-term answer at the position.

60) RG Benjamin Ijalana. Extremely athletic for his size, and has all pro potential. First round lock if he played for a bigger program.

74) CB/FS Ras-I Dowling. Asomougha redux. Needs to stay healthy.

92) RB Roy Helu Jr. Love this guy's character and running style. Wish he'd improve his overall strength, so he breaks tackles better, but otherwise he's a great pick up, and an excellent athlete.

123) DE/OLB Greg Romeus. Could end up being the steal of the draft, or could end up out of the league due to injuries. Well worth a fourth round gamble.

156) OC Brandon Fusco. Someone I respect described him as "mobile, agile, hostile"; in other words, the perfect Patriots offensive lineman.

184) CB/ST Buster Skrine. Unreal athlete; great competition for Wilhite & Butler.

High risk/reward draft. Not sure how I feel about it, honestly. Last year, most people would have been happy with Dowling and Romeus in the first, but who knows how they'll recover from their various injuries. By the way, Dowling often looks like a receiver when he goes up for the ball, and I'd love to see him play offense in some subpackages. He's extremely athletic, very fast, and can track the ball with the best of them.

I'll try to work on a trade version in the next few days. I'm not so good at follow up, though, so this might be all you get. :p

Last edited:
Trade 1

Send: 28 + 33 + 74 + = 1460
Recieve: 7 = 1500

Trade 2

Send: 156 + 184 = 48.8
Recieve: 142 + 206 = 45

7. Von Miller OLB Texas A&M Has been compared to Derrick Thomas need i say more
17. J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin By far the best 5-tech in the draft
60. Marcus Cannon OT TCU AT 6'5" and 358 this guy is a beast
92. Jordan Todman RB UCONN Short, compact, and fast
123. Austin Pettis WR Boise State The more physical of the Boise recievers
142. James Brewer OT Indiana Another big boy on the line
206. Derek Hall OT STanford A guard conversion

16. Aldon Smith, OLB
Trade: 28 + 60 for 20 + 116
20. J.J. Watt, DE
When I got to #16 and saw both players still available, I got greedy. It's a good feeling.
28. Derek Sherrod, OT
Solid value for a legitimate OT.
33. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE
Mmm, a complementary pair of DEs with different strengths who will look very, very nice on either side of Wilfork. Isn't the front 7 looking nifty now?
74. Colin Kaepernick
Keep developing QBs. It pays.
92. James Carpenter, OT/OG Alabama
Steady, experienced, ready.
116. Greg Romeus, OLB
I can't resist rolling the dice. I think he's worth it.
Trade: 123 for 159 & 191
156. Derrick Locke, RB
Yeah, he's another Danny Whitehead. Like that's a bad thing?
159. Brandon Fusco, C
An ideal developmental center -- and a Brandon. Sit and learn.
184. Buster Skrine, CB
One of the most intriguing athletes in the draft. Tons of potential.
191. Denarius Moore, WR
Here's betting that he'll look a lot better in a real offense.

EDIT: looking through previous posts, I see I've picked 6 of the same players as Reamer! Even the likes of Brandon Fusco and Buster Skrine. Eerie. And what's more, I originally had Ras-I Dowling, too, but swapped in the QB at the last minute.

Last edited:
16. Aldon Smith, OLB
20. J.J. Watt, DE
When I got to #16 and saw both players still available, I got greedy. It's a good feeling.
28. Derek Sherrod, OT
Mmm, a complementary pair of DEs with different strengths who will look very, very nice on either side of Wilfork. Isn't the front 7 looking nifty now?
74. Colin Kaepernick
116. Greg Romeus, OLB
156. Derrick Locke, RB
159. Brandon Fusco, C
184. Buster Skrine, CB
191. Denarius Moore, WR

EDIT: looking through previous posts, I see I've picked 6 of the same players as Reamer! Even the likes of Brandon Fusco and Buster Skrine. Eerie. And what's more, I originally had Ras-I Dowling, too, but swapped in the QB at the last minute.

Take out Kaepernick for Dowling (as reamer has) and this is basically the ideal mock. Aldon and Watt is not fair for the other 31 teams. Also getting Sherrod and Wilkerson makes me want to take off all my clothes and run around (not that there's anything wrong with that).

A fine set of players. But you are sooooooo greedy: 3 front sevens in the 3, and four front seven players in the first four rounds!

16. Aldon Smith, OLB
20. J.J. Watt, DE
28. Derek Sherrod, OT
74. Colin Kaepernick
116. Greg Romeus, OLB
156. Derrick Locke, RB
159. Brandon Fusco, C
184. Buster Skrine, CB
191. Denarius Moore, WR

A fine set of players. But you are sooooooo greedy: 3 front sevens in the 3, and four front seven players in the first four rounds!

Yeah, it's a big meal. :) But that's this draft in a nutshell, don't you think?

WR has two blue-chippers -- too rich for my blood -- then a lot of nothing. Safety has nothing, followed by more nothing. RB's not much better. CB features only a small handful of NFL-ready players. TE and ILB, yikes, thank heavens we don't need them this year. The QB crop is fine...if you don't expect them to start for a couple of years.

So that leaves the lines. OL lacks true blue-chip talent but has some good players, so I took a few scattered through the draft. And DL is stacked.

Last edited:

Actually, here's the true sign of patchick's greed:

20. J.J. Watt, DE
28. Derek Sherrod, OT

She wants to trade her pick and make it too!
385_smiley_face_cop.gif

Busted!

That explains a lot! :rofl:

Plays like a scene out of "Key Largo" with Ms. Patchick as Johnny Rocco.

Frank McCloud: He knows what he wants. Don't you, Rocco?
Johnny Rocco: Sure.
James Temple: What's that?
Frank McCloud: Tell him, Rocco.
Johnny Rocco: Well, I want uh ...
Frank McCloud: He wants more, don't you, Rocco?
Johnny Rocco: Yeah. That's it. More. That's right! I want more!
James Temple: Will you ever get enough?
Frank McCloud: Will you, Rocco?
Johnny Rocco: Well, I never have. No, I guess I won't.

Trading 33 and 74 for 21 also:

17 Watt DE
21 Solder OT
28 Houston OLB
60 Wisniewski G/C
92 Gates WR
123 Romeus OLB
156 Locke RB
184 Henery K

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about football, especially college FB, but love reading the stuff here on the board. Thanks to you all. So just for fun....

17 DE/OLB Ryan Kerrigan - Leader of Purdue defence, team captain, 4 year player, Academic All American. Can he play OLB? not sure. Will see time in sub package this year and get after the QB.

28 OT Derek Sherrod - 4 year player, team captain, All SEC, Light insurance. Last of the round 1 OTs, good time to take one, or might get a nice trade.

33 DE Cameron Heyward - 4 year starter, team captain, versatility on DL, routinely double teamed, has the length. Last of the 5 techs available.

60 DL Sam Acho - 4 year player, Won Academic Heismann, CFPA award for college player that most increases effectiveness of his team. Showed versatility and unselfishness by playing at 5 tech in 2010, film room junky. This pick is an attempt to improve 3rd down pass rush. There are some good players at this spot – Wisniewski was mighty tempting for a total OL overhaul.

74 OL Clint Boiling - 4 year starter, played multiple spots on the line. All SEC.

90 RB Shane Vereen - Was interested in D Murray and Thomas, but this guy seemed to have many of their strengths and less of their weaknesses. Can run hard and elusively, brave pass blocker and routinely catches the ball. Junior but graduated this December.

123 FB Owen Maracic - 4 year player, Won the award for most versatile player in college football. All American. Can block, and also run and catch a little, may give more deception in the offense and his blocking may allow Gronk to release more?

156 OL Brandon Fusco - 4 year starter, all American, team captain, we know the Patriots have scouted him.

184 OC Jake Kirkpatrick - Rimington award winner.

The philosophy of this mock draft was all about continuing to get very smart, hard working, experienced team captains on defence and offense who will buy into the system rather than athletic questions. I’ve chosen two DE/OLBs that I am assuming can help in a 3rd down 4 man line situation this year to improve the pass rush, but also have the ability to move around, with hopefully one being able to take up the OLB role in the future. Heyward is the best player at the right value for me at 5 tech. All of the defensive players have luxury of time to develop.

In the offense we possibly need more NFL ready players on the line and RB. I had the choice of Sherrod or Watkins, I prefer the chances of getting a starting guard later so chose Sherrod with Boiling later, plus two developmental OCs.

I have chosen two versatile tough HB/FBs that will hopefully allow to the O to continue to disguise and change offensive plays at the line.

Last edited:
Is everyone posting what THEY want the Pats to do or what they feel the Pats WILL do?

Is everyone posting what THEY want the Pats to do or what they feel the Pats WILL do?

Your choice. Some people do it the former way, some the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots