PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Fun - Trade for D. Davis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
If Houston decides they want to keep the top pick and draft Bush maybe we could help them by trading for Domanic Davis who just signed a 3yr $21 million deal. If we win the SB then our no. 1 isn't worth much and I don't think it would be enough to get Davis by itself. But, maybe our first and our third for Davis? Maybe a switch of fourths could be added in. Remeber we have Baltimore's third also, and an extra fourth too. The devil is in the details here of course but the real question is would Davis be worth trading for at all? Given his youth, fixed salary, proven production as a hard nosed runner, he seems an attractive replacement for Dillon. We'd never get him for a second alone like Dillon but a very low first rounder plus one of our thirds (and maybe a switch of fourth round picks) might seem like a pretty good deal...

Just having fun here....

I think we needs to address on defense. I wouldn't be totally
shocked if we drafted Lendale White -rb USC. But, I want a cb
and s. I'm a PSU fan and was impressed with FSU safety P.Watkins.
I'd love to get a cb in round 1 and maybe someone like him in round 2.
It wasn't a beatuy pageant in the Orange Bowl last night and this
morning. But, it was a brutal battle old school fans like myself enjoyed.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
If Houston decides they want to keep the top pick and draft Bush maybe we could help them by trading for Domanic Davis who just signed a 3yr $21 million deal. If we win the SB then our no. 1 isn't worth much and I don't think it would be enough to get Davis by itself. But, maybe our first and our third for Davis? Maybe a switch of fourths could be added in. Remeber we have Baltimore's third also, and an extra fourth too. The devil is in the details here of course but the real question is would Davis be worth trading for at all? Given his youth, fixed salary, proven production as a hard nosed runner, he seems an attractive replacement for Dillon. We'd never get him for a second alone like Dillon but a very low first rounder plus one of our thirds (and maybe a switch of fourth round picks) might seem like a pretty good deal...

Just having fun here....

I think Bellichick would prefer more of a powerback, though you can't argue with Davis' production. If/when the Texans take Bush, Davis will come cheaper than a #1 pick. I would prefer to draft a runningback to learn from Dillon. I'm not so sure Dillon is done. I was a huge Larry Johnson fan going into the 2003 draft, and though I like Ty Warren, Larry Johnson sure would look good in a Pats uni right now (We drafted Warren over Johnson), I say we draft a developmental back. Lendale White sure would look good in a Pats uni next year.

Here's the RB I'd want out of this draft class... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/deangelowilliams.html

That said, I dont think we're going to spend our 1st on a RB. It's a historic draft year for LBs, and hopefully BB will find someone who fits his system and profile from the list of Greenway, Hodge, Brooks, Sims, Carpenter, Ryans, Howard... or a DE tweener like Dumervil or Lawson. Someone to fill the gap when McGinest retires, or take up the slack since TJ retired.

Brady'sButtBoy said:

Just having fun here....

I would rather take Jonathan Wells of their hands.

we should try to get Chester Taylor from the Ravens.

rookBoston said:
Here's the RB I'd want out of this draft class... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/deangelowilliams.html

That said, I dont think we're going to spend our 1st on a RB. It's a historic draft year for LBs, and hopefully BB will find someone who fits his system and profile from the list of Greenway, Hodge, Brooks, Sims, Carpenter, Ryans, Howard... or a DE tweener like Dumervil or Lawson. Someone to fill the gap when McGinest retires, or take up the slack since TJ retired.

maybe I'm dreaming, but give me Kiwi or LenDale please...

Dominick Davis is one of the most overrated players in the league. Beyond that, he's constructed of tissue paper.

SoonerPatriot said:
Dominick Davis is one of the most overrated players in the league. Beyond that, he's constructed of tissue paper.

Overrated? I haven't hardly heard two words about him the entire season. A running back that manages 2 1,000 yd season and almost a third behind that O line is alright by me. I don't know where you got the whole tissue paper thing either. He played in 14 and 15 games his first two seasons and only got hurt this season. I would give up a 3rd. for him no questions asked.

huskeralk said:
Overrated? I haven't hardly heard two words about him the entire season. A running back that manages 2 1,000 yd season and almost a third behind that O line is alright by me. I don't know where you got the whole tissue paper thing either. He played in 14 and 15 games his first two seasons and only got hurt this season. I would give up a 3rd. for him no questions asked.

Im not one who thinks a 1,000 yard season over 16 games is something that should elevate a back to elite status. There have been a lot of backs over the years who have had 1,000 seasons. Some of them have been very good. Others, not so much. James Allen? Lamar Smith?

According to NFL.COM Davis has played in 11 games this year and finished the season with 976 yards rushing and a whopping 2 TDs. In 2003, he missed four games. One has to wonder if Houston is so fond of him, why then would there be talk of them wanting Bush? It's not as if there aren't needs all across the Houston roster.

That said, I agree. I would probably give up a 3rd but with minimal expectations.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
Im not one who thinks a 1,000 yard season over 16 games is something that should elevate a back to elite status. There have been a lot of backs over the years who have had 1,000 seasons. Some of them have been very good. Others, not so much. James Allen? Lamar Smith?

According to NFL.COM Davis has played in 11 games this year and finished the season with 976 yards rushing and a whopping 2 TDs. In 2003, he missed four games. One has to wonder if Houston is so fond of him, why then would there be talk of them wanting Bush? It's not as if there aren't needs all across the Houston roster.

That said, I agree. I would probably give up a 3rd but with minimal expectations.

I agree, normally a 1000 yd. rusher isn't impressive but when a guy does that behind a line as bad as the Texans, it's nothing to sneeze at. Also, like I said, he played in 14 games his rookie season and 15 in his second. I'm not sure where you're getting the 4 missed games from. Also, he's not that small, he's listed at 5'9" 221 lbs. That's like a little bowling ball.

huskeralk said:
I agree, normally a 1000 yd. rusher isn't impressive but when a guy does that behind a line as bad as the Texans, it's nothing to sneeze at. Also, like I said, he played in 14 games his rookie season and 15 in his second. I'm not sure where you're getting the 4 missed games from. Also, he's not that small, he's listed at 5'9" 221 lbs. That's like a little bowling ball.

Like Travis Henry of the Titans ?

I think batman would be a good addition to the running game.

For the love of God will people PLEASE get off of the Lendale White wagon? He is WAAYYY overrated. W/O reggie Bush he isn't even a name. Way to slow.

KDPpatsfan said:
For the love of God will people PLEASE get off of the Lendale White wagon? He is WAAYYY overrated. W/O reggie Bush he isn't even a name. Way to slow.

dude--I think you have it backwards--this guy is EXACTLY the punishing back that the Patriots could use.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=LenDale%20White*

Pros: very powerful runner between the tackles; it is very hard to bring him down; knows how to and when to sqaure his shoulders; his feet always keep moving which helps him move the pile; effective breakaway speed; has good hands and is a solid target in the passing game although he is frequently replaced in those situations by Reggie Bush. Might be the best goalline rusher in the country (has 19 TDs this year, 47 in his career most coming from inside the 10 yard line). One of the best power rushers to come out in many years. As he has never carried the full load he has less mileage on his legs than Cedrick Benson, for example, had last year. Great size. Should be able to carry 30
Cons: Because of Reggie Bush being in the same team he has gone somewhat unnoticed compared to other RBs. Does not have as good speed as other RBs (although he is a power rusher who does not need 4.3 speed). Might go lower than he should because of the RB talent in this year's draft

so am i going ot be the only one here who thinks the texans would be complete morons to draft bush? they have way bigger needs than him.. they should trade out and get multiple picks.. they need an oline.. i think theyd be better off keeping davis.. if they were that one player away, yea draft him.. but he isnt going to put that team in the superbowl let alone the playoffs if carr is still going down 70+ times a season.

and to answer the original posters question.. i wouldnt trade for davis.. he is injured all the time..

Chris said:
so am i going ot be the only one here who thinks the texans would be complete morons to draft bush? they have way bigger needs than him.. they should trade out and get multiple picks.. they need an oline.. i think theyd be better off keeping davis.. if they were that one player away, yea draft him.. but he isnt going to put that team in the superbowl let alone the playoffs if carr is still going down 70+ times a season.

and to answer the original posters question.. i wouldnt trade for davis.. he is injured all the time..

nope--I agree--let some team over spend for him--trade trade trade trade trade...

and I also wouldn't want Davis here...

Brady'sButtBoy said:

Just having fun here....
D&C discussed this exact issue on WEEI this a.m. with a caller. They said the Pats would never spend a 1st on a RB. FWIW.

Was that caller you?

Flying Fungi said:
Olandis Gary anyone?

Olandis Gary is the product of the Denver O line. I thought that was fairly common knowledge. Unless of course you're saying that Davis is the product of that dominating Houston O line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back