PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft for Defense and use FA for offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was hoping that the Patriots would finally acknowledge their weakness drafting offensive (skill) players and their strength chosing offensive FAs.

Clearly the Patriots are much better stocking the offense with FAs, but it does not appear as if the Patriots will take that route this year. Maybe it is too early to tell, but this would be the year to do so without taking a cap hit. It remains to be seen if the Patriots can even come out of this FA period with talent comparable to last year, but staying the same never works well in pro football (unlike baseball) because of players' short careers. Teams have to continuously upgrade their talent to keep the same record as the year before but the choices are fading for the Patriots...at least in free agency

So, in a year with the deepest WR class in many moons, we should sign Antonio Bryant and forego the abundant talent at WR?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Patriots have drafted Deion Branch, David Givens, Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, Bethel Johnson and Julian Edelman.

On that basis, it seems their record is hit or miss, not totally abysmal. And I'll argue that they have missed out as often on WRs. Donald Hayes or Joey Galloway,e tc.

There is still almost seven weeks before the draft. We have used up 2 days out of the 50 days between the start of free agency and the draft. We have signed four players this offseason: Wilfork, Banta-Cain, Neal and Patten. We have tendered Mankins and Gostkowski. It seems that we have indeed been signing some free agents on bot sides of the ball.

In any case, I do expect us to sign a running back, a tight end and a wide receiver in the next 7 weeks. And no, I will not be unhappy if this doesn't happen in the next two days of this 50 day period.

Just draft quality players that will be good in their first year and very good by year four. I'll take a punter at this point... it's better than a cornerback or wide receiver that ends up playing three games as a Patriot.

If spiller, or one of those other magical offensive players fall to us, I wouldn't be crying if we got them. I'm fine with getting some 2nd picks for our defensive rebuild this year if we can get some crazy weapons on offense.

It's an offense driven league right now, might as well go with the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes