PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Day for a man they call Kool-Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakes781

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...55697B81E818E80D86257160001243E1?OpenDocument

After more than three hours of watching and waiting, Laurence Maroney needed to blow off some steam. He had been photographed and feted by about 200 friends and family members at a draft party in his honor Saturday at the Herbert Hoover Boys and Girls Club.

So, he and about a dozen friends from his neighborhood in Hanley Hills and Normandy High moseyed down to the gym for a game of pick-up basketball. Maroney drove the lane, dunked and hung on the rim. He stole the ball from a young cousin, then let the kid steal it back from him. Working up a sweat, he took off his jacket, which held his cell phone.

About 10 minutes into the workout, a relative burst into the gym, urging Maroney to get his phone. Someone - no one was quite sure who - had called Maroney's mom, Terri Terrell, because he got no answer on Maroney's phone.

Maroney excused himself so quietly that the game went on. He picked up the jacket and the phone and talked as he made his way back to the celebration. Terrell met him in the hall, where he was overheard saying "Yes, sir," No, sir," to the phone.

"It's the Patriots, isn't it? You're going to New England!" Terrell said.

"No, Mom," Maroney said. "Just some old friend."

Maroney quietly talked on the phone, stationing himself alone in front of the TV. As Paul Tagliabue walked to the podium, Maroney pointed at the screen, expressionless. Only Terrell was sure that the Patriots had selected Maroney with the 21st pick.

"I knew. He doesn't say 'Yes, sir,' to a friend," she said.

Tagliabue announced Maroney's name and the throng let forth an exuberant whoop. He and his mother hugged for a minute, then Maroney made his way to the hallway in search of a quiet spot and moment. Finding none, he erupted.

"Super Bowl bound! It's a great feeling," Maroney said.

Asked what he knew about New England and coach Bill Belichick, Maroney said, "They've been there. That's all I need to know."

Maroney's nickname has been Kool-Aid since the day he tried to put out a fire with a pitcher of the stuff.

maroney30lrg.jpg

my favorite line is he says "Super Bowl bound"

his
Nickname
Is
Kool Aid ????????

Great!!! Kool-AID!!

Given our Jim Jones jones for all things Belichick, it's kind of perfect that Maroney's nickname is "Kool Aid."

Last edited:
didn't all the journalists say that he was in the bathroom when the pats called?

bakes781 said:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...55697B81E818E80D86257160001243E1?OpenDocument

After more than three hours of watching and waiting, Laurence Maroney needed to blow off some steam. He had been photographed and feted by about 200 friends and family members at a draft party in his honor Saturday at the Herbert Hoover Boys and Girls Club.

So, he and about a dozen friends from his neighborhood in Hanley Hills and Normandy High moseyed down to the gym for a game of pick-up basketball. Maroney drove the lane, dunked and hung on the rim. He stole the ball from a young cousin, then let the kid steal it back from him. Working up a sweat, he took off his jacket, which held his cell phone.

About 10 minutes into the workout, a relative burst into the gym, urging Maroney to get his phone. Someone - no one was quite sure who - had called Maroney's mom, Terri Terrell, because he got no answer on Maroney's phone.

Maroney excused himself so quietly that the game went on. He picked up the jacket and the phone and talked as he made his way back to the celebration. Terrell met him in the hall, where he was overheard saying "Yes, sir," No, sir," to the phone.

"It's the Patriots, isn't it? You're going to New England!" Terrell said.

"No, Mom," Maroney said. "Just some old friend."

Maroney quietly talked on the phone, stationing himself alone in front of the TV. As Paul Tagliabue walked to the podium, Maroney pointed at the screen, expressionless. Only Terrell was sure that the Patriots had selected Maroney with the 21st pick.

"I knew. He doesn't say 'Yes, sir,' to a friend," she said.

Tagliabue announced Maroney's name and the throng let forth an exuberant whoop. He and his mother hugged for a minute, then Maroney made his way to the hallway in search of a quiet spot and moment. Finding none, he erupted.

"Super Bowl bound! It's a great feeling," Maroney said.

Asked what he knew about New England and coach Bill Belichick, Maroney said, "They've been there. That's all I need to know."

Maroney's nickname has been Kool-Aid since the day he tried to put out a fire with a pitcher of the stuff.

maroney30lrg.jpg

Nice find. Great piece.

hmmm LoMo or Kool-Aid.. i like both. :) Cant wait for him to suit up

PatsChick87 said:
his
Nickname
Is
Kool Aid ????????

Yeah he's even got his car all pimped out with the logo on the hood.

Awesome.

the story I mean...not just the nickname.;)

I have visions of him running through D-lines the way the Kool Aid Guy runs through brick walls (a la Family Guy).

bakes781 said:
Yeah he's even got his car all pimped out with the logo on the hood.

OH YEAH!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back