Dr Z Preview of This Weekend and Some Thoughts on the Class Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCPatriot

On the Roster
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/01/15/playoffs/1.html

Money quote:

"Talk about dumb, out-of-control teams. The Chargers lost to the Patriots mainly because New England was more professional, i.e., they didn't play idiot ball, as San Diego did. I don't need to go into the litany of stoopids the Chargers were guilty of, the "attitude" penalties, head butts, bumps, grinds, shoves ... the dropped balls, the fumbles, all of which cost dearly. Simply unprofessional, which was kind of surprising for a team at this level.

A big thing was made out of some Patriots imitating Shawne Merriman's Lights Out sack dance after the game. Merriman ran down Brady for a zero-yards pursuit sack in the fourth quarter, but aside from that, he was practically invisible. Hey, pal, if you're gonna turn a spotlight on yourself, be ready for its heat as well as its light."

Well said.

You knew Z. would get out the Ginsu knife.

After reading this paragraph, I dont believe that Dr. Z has been following Josh McDaniels around too much.

You've got to at least test Indy with a bit of a run game, but I don't think New England will do it the way K.C. and Baltimore did, with big guys. I think they'll do it from multiple wideouts, with traps and counters inside, setting up play-action passing.

I believe he has the right idea, but dont expect to see it.

I try to keep out of second guessing the offense, (I was literally screaming for them to run in the second half), but I'd say this game begs for the play action.

Their entire run defense is predicated on sanders filling the gap and I'd love to catch him guessing wrong a few times.

For some reason I think Maroney is going to play a major role in this game. He had a nice little game in the first one (12 for 63 I think) and his speed on that carpet could be intersting to watch.

I agree with you, and Doctor Z, because it makes sense.

However, from what we have seen this year, practically nothing in the way the offense has been called makes any sense.
12-4 and winning 2 playoff games and the offensive play calling doesn't make any sense ? What kind of an obsessive nut case are you ? Your head must hurt with the infantile one track mind cramping your brain. You must have 2000 posts repeating this same drivel over and over and over and over again. Give it a rest and give us a break will you please.

Not only that, but you are a person without a shred of honor, to wit:

Many of you disagree with my stance on the play calling of Josh McDaniels. Many have said that the wide receivers and the quarterback havent had enough time to know each other.

So, if that is correct, then with the two week layoff, the opportunity for them to get to know each other better, to practice together, to learn plays together, to listen and learn together, as well as to possibly heal some of the minor injuries that have kept them off the field for some games....

Assuming that all of this will end now, because they have had more time together, and that we should have all the WR's available as well as the two/three tight ends, and even some of the banged up offensive linemen...

Here's the deal.

If the offense sputters again, and believe me this is NOT what I want to see happen, but if it does, and there are no excuses left to cover up for the poor play calling, then will you agree that the problem, in all probability, lies with Josh McDaniels and not the players, or the players not knowing one another?

On the other hand, if the offense moves the ball well, in the manner that I think they can, with inside passing routes, some screens thrown in, some play action passes... maybe even a deep post, and a running game that is not forced into defenses that are geared to stop the run..... then I will not say one more word, the rest of the season, about Josh McDaniels.

Fair deal??????
Thank you Josh McDaniels, Bill Belichick, and all of the other coaches. And especially thank you to Tom Brady and the receivers. It will be SOOO wonderful to not have to hear all of the critiques of the playbook and play calling for the rest of the season. It doesn't get any better than that.

You can't have much more of a balanced offensive day than this:
27 rushing downs
27 passing downs to 7 different receivers.
...5 to Watson and 5 to Caldwell for the folks wondering when those receivers were going to show up.

2 rushing TDs by Dillon for those folks who thought he was washed up
2 passing TDs by the somewhat maligned Jackson and Gabriel

Well scripted first drive of the game for a TD.

Oh my, oh my. Life is good. Oh, heck. Make that "Life is Great".
Maybe I should have known better than to think that you would honor your commitment.

After reading this paragraph, I dont believe that Dr. Z has been following Josh McDaniels around too much.

You've got to at least test Indy with a bit of a run game, but I don't think New England will do it the way K.C. and Baltimore did, with big guys. I think they'll do it from multiple wideouts, with traps and counters inside, setting up play-action passing.

I believe he has the right idea, but dont expect to see it.

1.) The OP posted a quote that was about the lack of class shown by San Diego, not a hatchet job on McDaniels.

2.) Only idiots would whine about the lack of play action passing when the team actually does use it on occasion, and has used it with success. And, before you get defensive, use your brain to think back to Daniel Graham catching a certain throw in the end zone off of play action. This is not a big play action team, and hasn't been since before McDaniels took over the position, but it uses it successfully in spots.

3.) This offense was the #7 scoring offense this season, despite all the personnel turnover and early season turmoil. It just put up 24 points against the team that was the #7 scoring defense in the league. This was accomplished despite Brady stinking up the joint for most of the game. The team, with the offense you are still complaining about, is now going to the AFC Conference finals.

So, please, don't start up again with the knocking on McDaniels crap. It's inappropriate under the circumstances, shows a lack of understanding of football and is just so worn out that it should be a source of embarrassment to you that you can't overcome the foolish need to ***** about it.

1.) The OP posted a quote that was about the lack of class shown by San Diego, not a hatchet job on McDaniels.

2.) Only idiots would whine about the lack of play action passing when the team actually does use it on occasion, and has used it with success. And, before you get defensive, use your brain to think back to Daniel Graham catching a certain throw in the end zone off of play action. This is not a big play action team, and hasn't been since before McDaniels took over the position, but it uses it successfully in spots.

3.) This offense was the #7 scoring offense this season, despite all the personnel turnover and early season turmoil. It just put up 24 points against the team that was the #7 scoring defense in the league. This was accomplished despite Brady stinking up the joint for most of the game. The team, with the offense you are still complaining about, is now going to the AFC Conference finals.

So, please, don't start up again with the knocking on McDaniels crap. It's inappropriate under the circumstances, shows a lack of understanding of football and is just so worn out that it should be a source of embarrassment to you that you can't overcome the foolish need to ***** about it.

Actually what SHOULD be a "source of embarrassment" is your pathetic constant obsession with bashing NEM.

1. The OP was about the Chargers as well as the Pats possible strategy against the Colts on Sunday - therefore, an opinion given on that possible strategy is quite appropriate for this thread

2. First you claim NEM is an idiot for whining about lack of play action passing, then proceed to conclude that this is not a big play action passing team. Hmmmm...then NEM ISN'T an idiot for whining about a LACK of play action passing, since YOU claim that the Pats do not use a lot of play action passing. Perhaps you should review the things you write before calling others idiots as you would look less like a fool by doing so.

3. At best, the Pats offense is inconsistent (for whatever reasons). I've watched the games and I'm still amazed that they broke into the top ten - this is definitely a case where statistics are misleading.

One would swear that some of you are related to McDaniels from your exaggerated reactions to the rantings from a fan. NEM is annoyingly redundant but messageboards are places for fans to express their feelings about a team, whether it's approval or frustration.

Getting back to football, while Indy's run D may be predicated on Sanders shooting up into the gap, their pass rush is predicated on running around the lineman real fast.

Play action takes a bit of time to carry out, and takes the QB deeper into the backfield, and that is very susceptible to a good outside rush. Since the Colts 1-gap in the front, their run rush isn't much different from their pass rush, and they all have the speed to recover and close on Brady. Screens would be nice, but the Colts are now jamming with their corners, and their linebackers are fast too, so nuts to that as well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/01/15/playoffs/1.html

Money quote:

"Talk about dumb, out-of-control teams. The Chargers lost to the Patriots mainly because New England was more professional, i.e., they didn't play idiot ball, as San Diego did. I don't need to go into the litany of stoopids the Chargers were guilty of, the "attitude" penalties, head butts, bumps, grinds, shoves ... the dropped balls, the fumbles, all of which cost dearly. Simply unprofessional, which was kind of surprising for a team at this level.

A big thing was made out of some Patriots imitating Shawne Merriman's Lights Out sack dance after the game. Merriman ran down Brady for a zero-yards pursuit sack in the fourth quarter, but aside from that, he was practically invisible. Hey, pal, if you're gonna turn a spotlight on yourself, be ready for its heat as well as its light."

Glad to hear (read) someone is being realistic on this celebration thing.

Actually what SHOULD be a "source of embarrassment" is your pathetic constant obsession with bashing NEM.

1. The OP was about the Chargers as well as the Pats possible strategy against the Colts on Sunday - therefore, an opinion given on that possible strategy is quite appropriate for this thread

2. First you claim NEM is an idiot for whining about lack of play action passing, then proceed to conclude that this is not a big play action passing team. Hmmmm...then NEM ISN'T an idiot for whining about a LACK of play action passing, since YOU claim that the Pats do not use a lot of play action passing. Perhaps you should review the things you write before calling others idiots as you would look less like a fool by doing so.

3. At best, the Pats offense is inconsistent (for whatever reasons). I've watched the games and I'm still amazed that they broke into the top ten - this is definitely a case where statistics are misleading.

One would swear that some of you are related to McDaniels from your exaggerated reactions to the rantings from a fan. NEM is annoyingly redundant but messageboards are places for fans to express their feelings about a team, whether it's approval or frustration.

Hey, slick.... I've been very nice to NEM of late. I was, in fact, one of the people who told Digger to put a sock in it once NEM had apologized and said he'd mellow out. Feel free to ask him. Furthermore, on another thread in the past few days, I pointed out, in a friendly manner, that he and I disagree about McDaniels but I still hoped that he enjoyed the game and that I hoped the Patriots would win so he would have another week to critique the O.C. Seriously, if you're going to chastize me, know what the hell you're talking about. Now, on to your other points.

1.) The OP focused on a quote that was about class. It wasn't about McDaniels. The title of the thread and the post of the OP didn't match. If NEM wanted to take a crack at McDaniels, he could have started a thread about it, rather than have this thread jump the tracks.

2.) The team is not a big play action team, but uses it successfully when they do utilize it. That's because they don't OVERUSE it. Seriously, use your head. You are talking about a team that uses a lot of spread formation and shotgun. It's pretty tough to run play action from that. What NEM is complaining about, essentially, is the STYLE of offense being run by a team that's won 3 of 5 Super Bowls and could be on its way to making it 4 of 6. That, my good poster, is idiotic.

3.) Points scored:

In other words, they were held under 10 points twice all season, scored between 10-19 points another 3 times, and scored 20 points or more 11 times. This team averaged over 24 points per game. All this while dealing with the loss of the team's top two receivers from the previous season and the loss of Watson and Graham for 7 total games when the offense was built largely around the tight ends.

Cincinatti, the #8 scoring team, had 6 games under 20 points, although never went under 10. Dallas, the #4 team, had 4 games under 20 and 1 game under 10. #3 Chicago had 5 games under 20 and 1 game under 10. #2 Indianapolis have 5 games under 20 points. #5 New Orleans had 4 games under 20 points. Philly, the #6 team, was second best of all these teams, with just 2 games under 20 points, with only San Diego (1 time under 20) being 'better'.

So, looking at the teams in the Patriots' area as far as points scored, their scoring numbers aren't abnormally inconsistent after all. It's not a case of misleading stats, so much as a case of too many spoiled Patriots fans whining because the team was very good/great, not perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye