Dr Z pats tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/11/22/power.ranks/index.html

New England Patriots (7-3)
Let's take a look at all-pro DE/DT Richard Seymour. Against the Colts he stomped on Tarik Glenn's head and got fined for it. Albert Haynesworth did the same thing and got bounced for five games. I watched Seymour when the Pats lost to the Jets. Biggest dog you've ever seen on the field. No effort, no technique, I mean tight ends were steering him around like a VW. OK, maybe he was hurt. You never know with this club. Against the Packers' struggling O-line he was Mr. All-Pro again, hustling, making plays. I'm not saying this is indicative of the team as a whole ... I mean the Green Bay game was a Belichick dissection at its best. They took away Favre's favorite receiver, Donald Driver, by smothering him with Troy Brown, backed up by a safety, and thus rendered Favre helpless. I'm just saying that there's something weird going on here, when you have to worry about guys laying down on you.

locker room material.... thank you Dr. Z, nothing like getting called out for playing like a dog by the national media

I like Dr. Z but Glenn's helmet was on, unlike the Haynesworth incident. It wasn't an overly dangerous act which is why he was fined not suspended.

Are we back to that "They hate their coach" stuff?

Maybe I have to watch that tape another 5 times, but it looked to me as though he stepped on his chest, not his face. Still bad, dirty football, but no where near as bad as stepping on his unprotected face and going back for seconds as Haynesworth did.

There has been an explanation--Seymore was cut blocked--which is also no excuse, but was provocation. However, saying Seymour's stomp was the same as Haynesworth's is just not looking at the evidence.

I will agree they played horribly against the Jets, pukey in fact.

Finally, the word you want in your last sentence, Dr. (Is this Dr. as in Dr. J) is lying, not laying!

Regarding the Seymour dogging it...I've noticed this myself, but with some caveats: I think Seymour is best suited as a DT. When the Pats have gone to a 4-3 and he shifts inside, he looks dominant. I think his switch to a 3-4 DE in 2003 may benefit the D as a whole, but did not benefit him personally. He's asked to focus on controlling 2 gaps which is a hugely important task, but it's not sexy like bull-rushing up the gut against overmatched guards. I think he gets mentally lost at times, especially against the supposedly inferior teams like the Jets. However, he seems to take his game up a notch when needed (like vs. Green Bay). The bottom line is that I don't worry about Seymour come January because he knows when to crank it up a notch.

If you remember the 80s Celtics, Robert Parrish was on record as "pacing" himself during the season. Seymour's play reminds me of this.

Regards,
Chris

New England Patriots (7-3)
Let's take a look at all-pro DE/DT Richard Seymour. Against the Colts he stomped on Tarik Glenn's head and got fined for it. Albert Haynesworth did the same thing and got bounced for five games. I watched Seymour when the Pats lost to the Jets. Biggest dog you've ever seen on the field. No effort, no technique, I mean tight ends were steering him around like a VW. OK, maybe he was hurt. You never know with this club. Against the Packers' struggling O-line he was Mr. All-Pro again, hustling, making plays. I'm not saying this is indicative of the team as a whole ... I mean the Green Bay game was a Belichick dissection at its best. They took away Favre's favorite receiver, Donald Driver, by smothering him with Troy Brown, backed up by a safety, and thus rendered Favre helpless. I'm just saying that there's something weird going on here, when you have to worry about guys laying down on you.

Thanks Dr. Z for proving once again what an overrated POS you are.

Maybe he's hurt? You never know?

I guess that would require doing some basic research.

Hmmmmm I wonder if having a 200 Lb. player fall on your arm and bend it backward at the elbow would affect your ability to hold tight ends?

I guess since he went back and played with it the following week, you assume he was never injured.

I'm telling you this Dr. Z is the biggest fraud going. Just because he tells you he watches lots of film doesn't mean he really prepares.

My guess is he's more of a wino than a connoisseur. And his wife's probably a red headed hag.

If you don't think Sey was still feeling the effects of the injury, I have a little test for you.

Put you left hand on a desk, elbow up. Take a 20 lb. weight, (1/10th of what fell on Seymour) and smash it on the elbow part.

Bang it against a wall occasionally for an hour every Sunday, then tell me how it feels in a couple weeks.

At least you will know a little more about Seymour's condition than the renowned sports expert.:D

I agree with the fact of Sey's really poor play against the Jets. I had a front row view and focused on the DL. Yes, Hill was even worse and got pulled, only to return to the perrenial inactive status against GB. I don't know why Sey played so poorly against the Jets, injury or desire, but pulling him was a rational response.

Put me in the camp that says Warren really, really helps Sey produce. I think that at this juncture Richard Seymour is the most over rated, under achieving Patriot. That's a shame.

I too have felt Seymour is overrated. Because he isn't full tilt all the time.
I was worried when he got his big contract that this would happen.
He's got his money and will play but rarely will we see 100% effort all the time. Maybe in the playoffs ... one can only hope.
I am disappointed with him.

Dr.Z is a complete idiot and one of the most whiny negative writers out there. Hes a fraud. The last thing Ive ever heard about Seymour is lack of effort, which is different from not playing well. I think its insulting to Seymour to question his heart, when he has veterans surrounding him who wont let him slack off, and vice versa.

Battaglia said:
Dr.Z is a complete idiot and one of the most whiny negative writers out there. Hes a fraud. The last thing Ive ever heard about Seymour is lack of effort, which is different from not playing well. I think its insulting to Seymour to question his heart, when he has veterans surrounding him who wont let him slack off, and vice versa.

The reason that's the last thing you've heard is because he's been "slacking off" only most recently, and its been covered everywhere from this messageboard to Reiss' mailbag to, now, Dr. Z. So he's a "complete idiot" because he's writing what he and others are seeing, instead of lovingly knitting Seymour a fuzzy warm monogrammed jockstrap?

Injured or not, Seymour was not flying around the field in most of the games this year like he was at Green Bay, where we all saw him and Junior Seau, recovering from a failed A-gap blitz, run down Greg Jennings 26 yards down the field. Did he do that because he's now playing well, or did he do that because he's now playing hard, pissed off? You're goddamn right its insulting to be written up for lack of effort - I expect that's why we saw Seymour hunt down Jennings like he wanted to eat him.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Thanks Dr. Z for proving once again what an overrated POS you are.

Maybe he's hurt? You never know?

I guess that would require doing some basic research.

I'm telling you this Dr. Z is the biggest fraud going. Just because he tells you he watches lots of film doesn't mean he really prepares.

Maybe you should do some research. A fraud? He is one of the rare guys who does some solid research work across all teams. Two years ago, when the Pats lost badly to the Steelers @ Heinz field in the regular season, there was not a single analysis in the entire NE media why Brady got sacked so many times. He was the only one who provided excellent information on why Ashworth (I might be wrong about the player), who never practiced at left tackle was suddenly asked to play that position when the regular back-up also went down. In addition to that, he provided a lot more information on why the Pats performance was an aberration and true enough, we beat them solidly later.

Dr. Z might make outlandish bets like picking the Fins to win the SB and talk a lot about wine, but that doesn't mean that he is a fraud.

[/QUOTE] And his wife's probably a red headed hag. [/QUOTE]

Is there any need to get personal? Oh I know, you are going to retort that he mentions his red-haired wife in every column. That doesn't give you any right to call someone's wife a hag in a public forum.

[/QUOTE] If you don't think Sey was still feeling the effects of the injury, I have a little test for you. Put you left hand on a desk, elbow up. Take a 20 lb. weight, (1/10th of what fell on Seymour) and smash it on the elbow part. Bang it against a wall occasionally for an hour every Sunday, then tell me how it feels in a couple weeks. At least you will know a little more about Seymour's condition than the renowned sports expert.:D[/QUOTE]

Most players play with some kind of injury and that's the reason why they are pros and earn good $s. If he cannot play, Seymour himself would have sat out (or BB would have made him sit). If he suited up, he must have been confident about playing to his ability.

What Seymour did at the Colts game was inexcusable. Period.
Seymour played a bad game against the Jets. Period.

No point in attacking a columnist or diverting the topic into meaningless exercises about how to experience a player's pain.

NYCPatsFan said:
Maybe you should do some research. A fraud? He is one of the rare guys who does some solid research work across all teams. Two years ago, when the Pats lost badly to the Steelers @ Heinz field in the regular season, there was not a single analysis in the entire NE media why Brady got sacked so many times. He was the only one who provided excellent information on why Ashworth (I might be wrong about the player), who never practiced at left tackle was suddenly asked to play that position when the regular back-up also went down. In addition to that, he provided a lot more information on why the Pats performance was an aberration and true enough, we beat them solidly later.

Dr. Z might make outlandish bets like picking the Fins to win the SB and talk a lot about wine, but that doesn't mean that he is a fraud.
And his wife's probably a red headed hag. [/QUOTE]

Is there any need to get personal? Oh I know, you are going to retort that he mentions his red-haired wife in every column. That doesn't give you any right to call someone's wife a hag in a public forum.

[/QUOTE] If you don't think Sey was still feeling the effects of the injury, I have a little test for you. Put you left hand on a desk, elbow up. Take a 20 lb. weight, (1/10th of what fell on Seymour) and smash it on the elbow part. Bang it against a wall occasionally for an hour every Sunday, then tell me how it feels in a couple weeks. At least you will know a little more about Seymour's condition than the renowned sports expert.:D[/QUOTE]

Most players play with some kind of injury and that's the reason why they are pros and earn good $s. If he cannot play, Seymour himself would have sat out (or BB would have made him sit). If he suited up, he must have been confident about playing to his ability.

What Seymour did at the Colts game was inexcusable. Period.
Seymour played a bad game against the Jets. Period.

No point in attacking a columnist or diverting the topic into meaningless exercises about how to experience a player's pain.[/QUOTE]

He studies individual players. That's his shtick. It's a team game and I find his analysis of current teams extremely lacking quite often.

To slam Seymour and say "I don't know if he's hurt", when the least bit of research would reveal he came back immediately from having Harrison fall on his outstretched arm is lazy journalism in the least.

A lot of people have said the severe hyperextension was the nost gruesome thing they've seen since Theisman's broken leg.

I think Z is so into his minutiae of grading individual players he fails to keep up with current players and teams.

By going out of his way to slam Seymour without checking his injury status he confirms my belief.

[/QUOTE] And his wife's probably a red headed hag. [/QUOTE]

He called Seymour lazy without bothering to find out if he's injured.

I didn't bother to find out if his wife's good looking.

Equivalent. Except for the fact he's a famous writer and I'm not.:D

NYCPatsFan said:
He was the only one who provided excellent information on why Ashworth (I might be wrong about the player), who never practiced at left tackle was suddenly asked to play that position when the regular back-up also went down.
Just to protect Ashworth's good name, he was on IR. Gorin got shuffled to LT after Light went down (which is why remarks in training camp calling him a swing tackle had me screaming in agony), while they tried both Hochstein and Neal at RT to try to find some way to protect Tommy.

I didn't have a DVR to tape and rehash player performance before last year, so I'll just say Seymour is playing at or above the level he played in for each of the first 10 games last season. This is about the time he started coming to life and being the dominant player of legend.

I believe he's been called out this year (and not just by Dr. Z in the media) because Ty Warren has used his off-season work to elevate his pass rush, mediots notice pass rushes and get confused by run stuffers who are usually on the bottom of a pile (look how many times a well known player standing next to the pile gets the credit from an announcer while his lesser known teammate is pulled from the bottom of the pile clutching the RB's drumstick). Ty has been dominant the way they expect Seymour to be and it gets noticed.

Sey did get a late start off PUP in Training Camp, that plus the elbow has slowed him like the knee injury last year. I don't consider his play as bad as implied by Z and I'm not worried about it going forward - especially with a media blaze starting to flicker under his backside.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm not worried about it going forward
Amazing that we're even talking about the DL. They're very very good. Warren's been good all year, Wilfork has been inconsistent, but the new turf might help him and Seymour is getting healthy. Plus, this is their time of year.

Now what I'd like to see is better pass-blocking from the tackles against the good defenses. But that would be another thread, and for that sort of thing, I'll wait for the new server.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I
I believe he's been called out this year (and not just by Dr. Z in the media) because Ty Warren has used his off-season work to elevate his pass rush, mediots notice pass rushes and get confused by run stuffers who are usually on the bottom of a pile (look how many times a well known player standing next to the pile gets the credit from an announcer while his lesser known teammate is pulled from the bottom of the pile clutching the RB's drumstick). Ty has been dominant the way they expect Seymour to be and it gets noticed.

You neglected to mention that Ty Warren has been and continues to be a dominant part of the run stuffing D. Case in point, the Jets game where Warren was out and the Jets ran up the middle for 1st down yardage all day, despite Wilfork et. al. I often watch the DL closely and excepting Sunday's game and one other I watched closely, Sey's game has been below his par this season.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Just to protect Ashworth's good name, he was on IR. Gorin got shuffled to LT after Light went down (which is why remarks in training camp calling him a swing tackle had me screaming in agony), while they tried both Hochstein and Neal at RT to try to find some way to protect Tommy.

I would guess it was because he was a former tight end.

richpats said:
Some of these SI guys you have to take with a grain of salt (King especially, though I like Banks the best).

Banks isn't bad. I like Pat Kirwan a lot.

I guess some people like Z because he supposedly breaks down tape on individual players.

I really don't know, but I tend to find his exhaustive film study less credible based on his lack of knowledge of the current teams and players.

It would be difficult to search for articles to prove my point, but he's no different from most of these writers or announcers.

If he's too busy analyzing the footwork of the Lions third string center to pay attention to the current season,and that's your thing, I apologize.

PatsWickedPissah said:
You neglected to mention that Ty Warren has been and continues to be a dominant part of the run stuffing D. Case in point, the Jets game where Warren was out and the Jets ran up the middle for 1st down yardage all day, despite Wilfork et. al. I often watch the DL closely and excepting Sunday's game and one other I watched closely, Sey's game has been below his par this season.

* maybe teams will start double teaming Warren and leave Seymour singled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes