Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dr. Laura Schlessinger

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Announced that she will not be renewing her show to "REGAIN her 1st amendment rights"

?

Now, I heard what she said, and quite franly, the N-word is offensive, but even I had a hard time being offended by the way she was using it. I was more offended by her "Don't NAACP me" crap.

All and all, she doesnt understand the 1st amenment, and how it is in place so that the GOVERNMENT can't curb her right to expression. People can get as p!$$ed at her as they want, is as much their right to complain as it is her right to say some dumb stuff.

She said she was sorry, and I'm cool with that. She is making a marter of herself, and her justification is bordering on moronic.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I heard it too. It wasn't offensive. What was offensive was the behavior of some in the black community that she was describing. I got her point. What tools like Al Sharpton didn't get was that, in suggesting she was a racist, they themselves were being selectively racist. If Dr. Laura can't say it, no one should. You shouldn't be able to throw the word around just because you're black.

Disclaimer: I'm not black, but some of my best friends aren't, either.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Oh...and Dr Laura is a dried-up old self-righteous hag. Nearly everything she says comes off as freakin nasty! She will parlay this in the old white reverse-racism whining community into a new career like Palin has. What's the under-over on the amount of days she gets a speaking part at a "Take Back America" rally.
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think she knows what the first amendment is . I can see where she's coming from though. Your response is reasonable too but what's a maret?

Anyway she should have said" don't Sharpton me"

Sharpton: Dr. Laura’s n-word rant was ‘despicable’ | Raw Story
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

MARTER....not maret....I type too fast and hit send without caring...I changed it...If you say it with a french silent "t" it sounds classy... 'Ma-ray'

I'd agree with your Sharpton line...I heard about her remarks before I actually heard them, and was expecting it to be way worse. It wasnt, the caller kinda flew off the handle a bit too.

her 1st amendment rights are still protected...she is fighting a shadow for her own honor. kinda futile if you ask me. She is totally parlaying this into something it should never be...wait.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +335 / 1 / -9

Whista is right, if it's a sin for me to say it then it is also a sin for the Black comedian to say it.

If the Black community truly wants the "N" word to be completly GONE then they too must stop using it.

Very Important In Ridding Society Of The "N" Word:
    HOLLYWOOD MUST STOP USING IT
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

some COMEDIANS' job is to offend you to laughter. Sometimes using offensive language is part of the schtick. Black COMEDIANS dont speak for the black community. Just like Larry the Cable Guy doesnt speak for all white people. Their job is satire. Dave Chapelle wrestled wiuth this during the 3rd season of his show. Its the main reason he walked away from $50 million. He was being painetd by most as teh voice of all blacks, when all he was really trying to do was make everyone laugh.

Hip-Hop Artists use the word in many different ways, sometimes to offend, sometimes to create a bond...but either way 50 Cent doesnt speak for the black community the same way that Marylin Manson doesnt speak for the entire white community.
  8. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Makes sense. Bill Cosby was a popular comedian, did he use the word? I have no idea I'm just asking. And I agree, there's nothing funny about that word, but I remember a youtube comedy commercial or something called "N, PLEASE!". Everyone thought it was funny. Everyone= different colorsLOL:rolleyes: (qualify everything youbetcha)
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The historical comedic use of the N word by black comics can really be summed up by Richard Pryor. Who built his career on the offensive use of the word, and later regreted the tone it set. I think MORE than that...when we are using comedians as the pilar for societal decency...we are screwed.
  10. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Absolutely. OT I know but it's like people who get their news from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. I love those guys and they do what they do very well. News sources though? :bricks:
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +335 / 1 / -9

Again:
    If the word keeps being used it will never go away, they will have to "live with it"
  12. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

somewhat OT:

Both sides are guilty when it comes to being upset over the use of the word.

Blacks who claim that any utterance of it by a white person is racist are wrong. The word can be discussed. It can also be used to piss somebody off; that may be insensitive, but that's the point.

Whites who claim that they should be able to use it freely because a hip-hop artist or comedian does it are idiots.

Like a lot of words, especially ones that can be offensive, it often comes down to context, and it's usually clear how the word is being used.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This is true.
    Check out this genius piece from Chapelle:

YouTube - The Niggar Family
  14. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Blacks use the word all the time and reverand devil dog never says a word about it.

Axs him boud it
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Just watched the UTube from Wistah's post, pretty funny. Your post, not so much. Were you going for satire?
  16. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Which black so called leader is calling her a racist?

Jesse "Hymie town" Jackson?
    or
    Al "Tawana Brawley did not lie" Sharpton.

What about Rev "Church Rant" Wright?

Those guys know a lot about racism.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

Caribou Barbie is weighing in after Schlessinger's "Gotcha" moment... interesting how Palin chimes in, after Schlessinger did not support her in the last election...

Palin's Tweets, she is sounding more and more half baked...