PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D'Qwell Jackson

I think you're underestimating the guy. He's been the leader of the Browns' defense for years, and that defense isn't bad.

He's much better than Dane Fletcher - they're not really close in talent and production - and if he came here, he'd play a ton of snaps, even without any injuries to the others.

I'm with Deus on this: we need another QUALITY linebacker. In addition to adding that veteran presence at the position BB considers vital, it allows the Pats to get creative with Collins - and with Hightower, who I could see getting snaps as a DE in certain situations.
I'll never understand the Fletcher love on this board. He's a decent backup but, nowhere near D'Qwell.

Signed with Colts

Don't we usually wait for the sales?

Four years, 22 million...kind of pricey, depending on guarantees, but he'll be a solid and smart presence in the middle of that Defense.

The Colts have a ton of money to spend and get another cheap year of Andrew Luck. Make a big splash in FA now and try to get into that upper tier?

He would have instantly upgraded the LB corps at $5.5/year. So much for that.

giphy.gif

Four years, 22 million...kind of pricey, depending on guarantees, but he'll be a solid and smart presence in the middle of that Defense.

The Colts have a ton of money to spend and get another cheap year of Andrew Luck. Make a big splash in FA now and try to get into that upper tier?

Well they'll have to do it via free agency, because they already wasted their first round pick.

Doesn't strike me as a smart allocation of $$ given the talent at LB in the draft.

I'd easily pay that for a proven coverage LB that is good against the run as well, especially considering the current cap space the Pats have even without the impending restructure/cut of Vince Wilfork (who has an $11M cap hit). But I do agree that LB is deep in the draft.

Would have liked him, but oh well. Pats probably would have had to pay more than the Colts because he has a better chance at playing time in Indy than here I'm guessing.

do we know if he even came here for a visit? Do we know if he even WANTED to?

Would have liked him, but oh well. Pats probably would have had to pay more than the Colts because he has a better chance at playing time in Indy than here I'm guessing.

suggestion he did not accept better offer

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m

Benefit of being financially set like D’Qwell: You can choose a team based on where you want to be. I'm told he turned down more elsewhere

I'd easily pay that for a proven coverage LB that is good against the run as well, especially considering the current cap space the Pats have even without the impending restructure/cut of Vince Wilfork (who has an $11M cap hit). But I do agree that LB is deep in the draft.

Let me rephrase:

Given what we already have at LB, I'd rather spend beaucoup coin on an elite/borderline elite player at a position of perennial weakness (here's looking at you, TJ Ward). It's not simply a question of whether we can afford Jackson, because, hell, I wanted him. I just think if we're going to make splashes I'd rather it be for Bryant, Houston, or even Michael Johnson.

Let me rephrase:

Given what we already have at LB, I'd rather spend beaucoup coin on an elite/borderline elite player at a position of perennial weakness (here's looking at you, TJ Ward). It's not simply a question of whether we can afford Jackson, because, hell, I wanted him. I just think if we're going to make splashes I'd rather it be for Bryant, Houston, or even Michael Johnson.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. The way I see it, there's no way we can add guaranteed upgrades to every position that we'd LIKE to improve. There isn't enough money for that. So the debate becomes which areas do you definitely want to improve? IMO, linebacker already has two younger players that have the potential to upgrade themselves just through growth (Hightower, Collins), so it's lower on the priority list for me.

Safety doesn't have that, so a guaranteed upgrade there would be a better use of resources.

Similar at DT or DE (3rd guy for the roation), G/C, and TE. These are all positions I would prioritize in FA over LB. If a good LB falls to us in the draft, that's a great place to add one IMO.

Let me rephrase:

Thing is we can make splashes at those positions as well as filling a need at LB. Not sure if you noticed, but our LB's (with the exception of Collins) are not exactly fleet of foot and have a propensity for getting absolutely smoked in coverage against RB's and TE's. We could use a proven body in that area. But, that said, it's not being reported that he turned down more elsewhere because he wanted to be in Indy. Will be interesting to see if one of those teams is the Pats.

Thing is we can make splashes at those positions as well as filling a need at LB. Not sure if you noticed, but our LB's (with the exception of Collins) are not exactly fleet of foot and have a propensity for getting absolutely smoked in coverage against RB's and TE's. We could use a proven body in that area. But, that said, it's not being reported that he turned down more elsewhere because he wanted to be in Indy. Will be interesting to see if one of those teams is the Pats.

Apparently he had no interest in signing here. Its a moot point and not on the front office.

I'm not a capologist, but I'm not sure we'd be able to sign Talib, Edelman, Ward, a defensive end, and Jackson.

I suppose it depends on what happens with Wilfork.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back