PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Downside to franchising Cassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryjane

Banned
Reaction score
If he can't be traded, he might make more money than Brady. Hard to deny him a starter's job or at least give him opportunity to get it if he's making that much.

What do you think? How much is the franchise tag for QBs?

Be hard to have that much locked up in QBs, but it might be worth it :rocker::eat2:

This is a link to just the latest thread on the subject. Don't be one dimentional...read. :D

It's a decision/option we or they don't even need to ponder before next February, and a lot can happen between now and then...

It would be foolish to franchise him. I think people are overestimating his value.

The Pats would never franchise Cassel. That would mean they would be paying him the average of the top five salaries of quarterbacks in the NFL. There is no way he is worth that much, and doing that would cripple the Pats salary cap position - and cause them to have to dump several other players.

The Pats would never franchise Cassel. That would mean they would be paying him the average of the top five salaries of quarterbacks in the NFL. There is no way he is worth that much, and doing that would cripple the Pats salary cap position - and cause them to have to dump several other players.

They are projecting at $25M under the 2009 cap, you don't franchise until late February and if you tag to trade prior to the draft he's gone by mid April if not a lot sooner leaving you with 2009 picks you didn't have before...

The Pat's franchised Tebucky Jones when they knew he was marginal and some stiff gave them a nice package of picks for him... It's called getting value for an asset with a market. The JETS franchised John Abraham for a second time when they could not afford to pay him and still got a first for him from Atlanta...

I agree..IF there was ANY thought of that..it would be then NOT now...and I think the only reason would be part of a franchise and trade situation...honestly..I think it will not happen...top 5 QBs?? no...

They are projecting at $25M under the 2009 cap, you don't franchise until late February and if you tag to trade prior to the draft he's gone by mid April if not a lot sooner leaving you with 2009 picks you didn't have before...

The Pat's franchised Tebucky Jones when they knew he was marginal and some stiff gave them a nice package of picks for him... It's called getting value for an asset with a market. The JETS franchised John Abraham for a second time when they could not afford to pay him and still got a first for him from Atlanta...
Good point, I hadn't considered that angle. I was primarily responding to the OP's comment that it would "be hard to have that much locked up in QBs, but it might be worth it." The point I was trying to make was that I can't see BB/SP actually paying Cassel that much and committing that high a percentage of the budget to one position, i.e. franchising Cassel and keeping (and paying) him.

If he can't be traded, he might make more money than Brady. Hard to deny him a starter's job or at least give him opportunity to get it if he's making that much.

Be hard to have that much locked up in QBs, but it might be worth it :rocker::eat2:
How can you suggest franchising a QB when you have no idea of the cost of such a move?

And what is the logic of giving him a shot at starting because he makes startes money, that you gave him because he couldn't be traded?

The thread initiator is behaving like a Troll

Let's root for Cassel as SB43 MVP. Then we tag and trade him. Tell me a SB MVP ain't worth at LEAST a high fourth... :rolleyes:

before we talk about signing him or franchising him, lets see him dominate for a few games

Maybe this post was premature? I don't think so!

Cassel WILL improve. BB has confidence in him, we should too.

Not sure if he will end up needing a franchise tag though.

Maybe this post was premature? I don't think so!

Cassel WILL improve. BB has confidence in him, we should too.

Not sure if he will end up needing a franchise tag though.

Are you for real? I really cannot tell if your are posts meant to be taken seriously.

Are you for real? I really cannot tell if your are posts meant to be taken seriously.

I'm just saying that we might not need the franchise tag on him. Last week everyone was assuming we would use it, but now I think that may not be necessary...which is a good thing, kind of, except that I'd LIKE it to be necessary, that is I'd like Cassel to play to his potential and be WORTH IT.

I'm just saying that we might not need the franchise tag on him. Last week everyone was assuming we would use it, but now I think that may not be necessary...which is a good thing, kind of, except that I'd LIKE it to be necessary, that is I'd like Cassel to play to his potential and be WORTH IT.

Oh really, everyone was? Interesting.

Nice try. Forget it, it's clear what you are now.

Smoking a little bit of your namesake before that post? It is way too early to think about this (I think they have until after the SB to make that decision).

If everything comes together for him in week eight or nine and he gets them to 10 or 11 wins, then they'll want to keep him. If he shows that he can't lead a very good team to a .500 record, then there might be a market for him as a backup somewhere, but other teams are going to have to ask the key question: if he couldn't get a 16--0 team to nine wins, what's he going to do for us?

Downside to franchising Cassel? Is this a joke??

There is ZERO downside of franchining him! ( Well only one downside & that he might be disgruntled with the tag when he is sure to get multiple muli year multi mil $ offers. ) I'm betting that BB already has plans to slap the tag on him & we're looking at AT LEAST a 1st & a 3rd for a QB with the talents of Cassel.

Cassel personifies poise, an absolute rock in the pocket, he wills himself not to go down in the face of the rush, all the while never taking his eyes off his downfield recievers. Clearly Cassel is a rare talent & after his gem in the SD game I'm seriously not missing TB at all.

Downside to franchising Cassel? Is this a joke??

There is ZERO downside of franchining him! ( Well only one downside & that he might be disgruntled with the tag when he is sure to get multiple muli year multi mil $ offers. ) I'm betting that BB already has plans to slap the tag on him & we're looking at AT LEAST a 1st & a 3rd for a QB with the talents of Cassel.

Cassel personifies poise, an absolute rock in the pocket, he wills himself not to go down in the face of the rush, all the while never taking his eyes off his downfield recievers. Clearly Cassel is a rare talent & after his gem in the SD game I'm seriously not missing TB at all.

OK, now you're spoofing me, fair enough.

But last week he was looking really good. Maybe franchising is a little much for a guy w/o a lot of experience.

But I still think he improves enough to be a very good QB by year end. Although, as I mentioend in another thread, I could see them bringing in a vet QB to give him a break so his confidence doesn't get shot.

They probably won't though...too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes