PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Down Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.0bese

Rookie
Reaction score
As I write this I keep thinking how BB will probably make a fool out of me so file this away and shove it back in my face at seasons end. It might be time to close the door on the Patriots, as we know them. I can’t believe they have maintained this level of play for so long or that it has taken other NFL teams this long before they started to pull us apart. It began last year when every team wanted some Part of the Pats formula and continues now. First they striped us of our coordinators and then moved on to the assistant coaches, now it’s the players. They over pay for everything Patriots, from a WR who are not legit number ones to an aging LB. I mean no disrespect to Givens or McGinest, but what can the Pats do? Spend outrageous money to keep these players or bring in high priced free agents in hopes of keeping the dynasty for one more year or do just what I think they are doing. Look for solid free agents at the right price and build through the draft. We don’t need that stud player right now but we do need to fill in for the solid players that we are losing and keep ourselves out of Cap trouble so we can afford the star player when we have retooled the team. In the end I think we will have a competitive team this year but not at the same level we have been used to. In a year or two we will be back with dynasty II which is a lot better IMHO then going the way of the Cowboys or the Rams trying to bail water as the boat slowly sinks.

get real , and come back at training camp

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

**inhale**

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

**inhale**

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

**inhale**

Ah, now I feel better.

Mr.0bese said:
As I write this I keep thinking how BB will probably make a fool out of me so file this away and shove it back in my face at seasons end. It might be time to close the door on the Patriots, as we know them. I can’t believe they have maintained this level of play for so long or that it has taken other NFL teams this long before they started to pull us apart. It began last year when every team wanted some Part of the Pats formula and continues now. First they striped us of our coordinators and then moved on to the assistant coaches, now it’s the players. They over pay for everything Patriots, from a WR who are not legit number ones to an aging LB. I mean no disrespect to Givens or McGinest, but what can the Pats do? Spend outrageous money to keep these players or bring in high priced free agents in hopes of keeping the dynasty for one more year or do just what I think they are doing. Look for solid free agents at the right price and build through the draft. We don’t need that stud player right now but we do need to fill in for the solid players that we are losing and keep ourselves out of Cap trouble so we can afford the star player when we have retooled the team. In the end I think we will have a competitive team this year but not at the same level we have been used to. In a year or two we will be back with dynasty II which is a lot better IMHO then going the way of the Cowboys or the Rams trying to bail water as the boat slowly sinks.

If you'd just keep the same screen name you'd have about 80 posts by now.

How about we run a little IP check on new posters with less than 10 posts?

Might be illuminating.

Maybe Email verification?

Are there rules here on posting with more than 1 account?

I don't know I'm, (relatively), new.

Just a tip. The guys with the stripes aren't co-ordinators. They're called referees.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought this was a place to exchange thoughts about the team and have some adult conversations. Is it so hard to consider that in a league that is designed to keep a level playing field, and make it difficult to stay on top, that the Pats might fall victim even for a year or two. I’m not whining I am expressing an opinion. IMO the Pats may be doing the right thing if they are indeed following this strategy. As for Ray Clay, if check up on poster is your thing, go ahead but I think it might be better to get a life. Sorry to inconvenience you with a different idea, I will now refrain from any more replies and go back to lurking.

Mr.0bese said:

If you have been lurking on here a long time you might have noticed an inordinate amount of new posters that sound very similar.

If this doesn't apply to you, don't take the burn.

I was accused of being NEM when I started on a different Pats board.

Mr. Obese...

Mr.0bese said:
Wow, I thought this was a place to exchange thoughts about the team and have some adult conversations. Is it so hard to consider that in a league that is designed to keep a level playing field, and make it difficult to stay on top, that the Pats might fall victim even for a year or two. I’m not whining I am expressing an opinion. IMO the Pats may be doing the right thing if they are indeed following this strategy. As for Ray Clay, if check up on poster is your thing, go ahead but I think it might be better to get a life. Sorry to inconvenience you with a different idea, I will now refrain from any more replies and go back to lurking.

Mr. Obese, I had less of a problem with your post than most here seem to, but I think I can identify the reason behind the (over)reaction. You seem to think that the loss of these particular players constitutes a regression of some kind for the Patriots. So while I think you're on board with most of us in terms of accepting "The Patriots Way," it sounds as though you are yourself overreacting to the "losses." I think many of us here believe that "it ain't over," and that the personnel attrition over the last two years has been less tangible than the big names make it appear.

Patten, Andruzzi, Ted Johnson, Roman Phifer, The Ty Law who had barely played - these were not impactful losses, really.

Now it's Givens, McGinest and, possibly, AV - I think most of us believe Givens was overvalued, and that he deserved the pay-day, just not here. Many of us are bummed by the loss of #55, but think we will find a way to replace (or go on without) his leadership on and off the field. Adam - well, it stinks, but giving a kicker 3+ mill per year is ridiculous.

My point is, none of these guys is named Brady, Seymour, Branch, Warren, Wilson, Bruschi, etc... The nucleus AND MORE are still here. We have suffered precisely ZERO critical losses, with McGinest coming closest. And so I think all of us - myself included - tend to be a bit itchy on the trigger finger, especially given the number of chicken little posts far more hysterical and less well thought-out than yours. Apologies, but you can blame the 12-year olds currently being this messageboard coup.

Don't just lurk. Yours is a pov worth hearing. Buck up.

Last edited:
Interesting

..thought Mr. Obese. I've been wondering lately if the Pats braintrust has decided that now would be the right time to make the changes needed to position the team for several years of future success at the price of making a strong SB push this year more unlikely. It certainly fits the conservative approach that has characterized the Pats during the Bellicheck regime. The changes include cleaning up the cap, lowering the team age, training new employees (both rookies and FA's).

On the other hand, none of these changes eliminate the Pats from SB contention as long as the core is healthy. As I said, it just makes it less likely at least from the POV of acquiring, training, and integrating new players.

The wildcard I think is the schedule though. It is agruably weaker that in previous years and this may allow us to both reload on the run and make a plausible run at the SB. If we are lucky enough to miss the ingury bug that has plagued us for the last couple of years, we could *still* do it. I mean who scares you? Pittsburgh? Seattle?

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Patten, Andruzzi, Ted Johnson, Roman Phifer, The Ty Law who had barely played - these were not impactful losses, really.
Now it's Givens, McGinest and, possibly, AV - I think most of us believe Givens was overvalued, and that he deserved the pay-day, just not here. Many of us are bummed by the loss of #55, but think we will find a way to replace (or go on without) his leadership on and off the field. Adam - well, it stinks, but giving a kicker 3+ mill per year is ridiculous.
I agree quite a lot with all you have said..espe about the new breed of posters..The one player I believe was an impactful loss was Ted Johnson...
Maybe it was as much about the timing of that..the day BEFORE training camp
as his value as a run stopper. Basically, he was not replaced adequately until
Vrabel was moved inside...to me that had a large impact on the start of the season...the roughness of it..the lack of being able to stuff things inside.
I agree Given was over valued...no question and McGinest's loss will be hard to deal with..I think as much from a locker room perspective than his playing..
That can be changed with either an OLB like Peterson..and/or an ILB like a Lewis..not that I think either will happen..it is just what one dreams of..best case..when one wishes to spend money..AV is different..I really hope they can keep him...reasonable money..which is what they are offereing..maybe even throwing a bit more his way..NOT overspending... But other than AV..really impact?? I think the team will find solutions..they always do.

Oh, stick around Mr. You have some valid points and expressed them quite well. Hopefully you just struck a raw nerve because there HAVE been a lot of 'sky is falling' posts. So post for the folks who take your posts for what pertinent thoughts you might have.

In a funny money year, it might well be a sound strategy to hunker down and do the best you can and stay positioned to sign some really good free agents next year when there is going to be a lot less money on the table. If Seymour is at all smart, he's not very happy about what next year may look like. In fact, if he's smart, he (and Branch) should probably take reasonable deals and get the money now without the risk of career ending injury this year.

It could also be a good year to get ahead of the curve with the last couple year's rookies and this year's new rookies to see if extra playing time could accelerate the playing capability of the NEXT McGinest, Givens, Branch, Vinatieri, Bruschi, and (on and on). PatSox23 had some VERY good points that should give you a more positive outlook !!

BUT, keep the faith and a stout heart. As has been the case in some past years, there may be some reasonably priced but very solid free agents left out there even this year after the first rush of money is over. And some of those rookies might really step up !! While it may be a longer shot, it's certainly not all that far fetched to think there could be another superbowl trophy this year - honest !!

Come on guys, Mr. Obese's opinion wasn't worth throwing him under a bus. Because he's showing 4 posts he's considered a troll of some sort? What about this was only his fourth post? Please post more often!
My take goes back to BB on 60 minutes. He said NFL players were like college players, you only had them for 3 to 4 years. I think we've been fortunate to hold on to some of these guys for as long as we have. Paying Givens and McGinist those dollars translate into big bucks for Branch and Seymour with nothing left over for the next tier of Patriot free agents. If your waiting for the big splash, its not going to happen. They will fill the holes with players left on the market, players cut from teams (some from teams who mismanaged free agent money) and the draft. Don't ever forget the picture of the Patriots running out onto the field together before they played Rams. That's what we have to remember, as thats what this is all about. Don't forget the outrageous number of injuries we've had the last two years and yet still played at a high level. Again, that has a direct bearing on what's happening today. As someone posted the other day, our OC has had a year to grow as did our two rookie offensive linemen. In addition, our redshirt lb. should contribute this year and if we are fortunate to have a fairly injury year I can't see where anyone is going to be excited to play us.

I admit, I didn't even read the first post in the thread. I was laughing hysterically at the title. I didn't even need to read the post.

If you are seriously thinking this may be a down year after 4 days of free agency then you need some powerful medication (or you're already on some powerful medication). As far as I can remember, the Pats haven't made a single significant signing in the first week of free agency since BB got here.

We could sign Julian Peterson or Eric Moulds tomorrow (or when he gets cut) and all of a sudden the people asking "DOWN YEAR?" are going to be saying "THIS IS THE BEST PATRIOTS TEAM YET!!!"

Take a chill pill, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back