PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dowling ready for full offseason workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would rather have Dowling playing the nickle/slot CB role than Arrington? It seemed as though Arrington did a pretty good job of covering Cruz in the SB.

To my knowledge, when we discussed the option of Dowling playing the slot last yr, he did not do that very much (or maybe it was not very well?) when he was at Virginia. Most were of the impression that Leigh Bodden would be the one moving to the slot last yr (before Dowling's injury and Bodden's release).

I would like to have Moore and Dowling as outside CB's with Arrington in the slot. That would either leave McCourty as exclusive free safety, or allow McCourty to play full-time CB with Dowling and Moore battling for the other outside spot. The loser of that battle could be the exclusive dime back, and offer a nice depth role in case of injury.

One way or another, this secondary is getting improved. I think they are still a player--maybe two away, depending on Belichick's view and thoughts on how to use Devin McCourty.

I do think that we'll see both Dowling and McCourty being able to offer some versatility in training camp practice reps at both positions of CB and S. This way in case of injury or worst case scenario, we have more options. It will be interesting to see how Belichick approaches the secondary in free agency + the draft. That should possibly give us a glimpse of how McCourty may be primarily used next yr.

Your preaching to the choir bro. That's exactly what I was saying, I'm not touting Dowling at the star. Dowling as RCB with McCourty at LCB. I don't think there will be much of a battle honestly. If Dowling is completely healthy, TC will open with him getting 1st string reps. I actually like Sterling Moore better in the slot, but Arrington is capable there as well. I just think the secondary would be much better served getting McCourty back to his rookie status as a corner full time. Dowling gives us that opportunity by taking over FS part time. We have to deal with the possibility that the upgrade at safety could be marginal. The draft is very shallow at safety and the FA crop is really lackluster. There's Branch, Griffin and Goldson(franchise tag). All of whom will command top dollar and the drop off afterwards is of a cliff like nature.

I say bring Dowling along slowly at FS and increase his reps as he becomes more acclimated later in the year.

Last edited:
Your preaching to the choir bro. That's exactly what I was saying, I'm not touting Dowling at the star. Dowling as RCB with McCourty at LCB. I don't think there will be much of a battle honestly. If Dowling is completely healthy, TC will open with him getting 1st string reps. I actually like Sterling Moore better in the slot, but Arrington is capable there as well. I just think the secondary would be much better served getting McCourty back to his rookie status as a corner full time. Dowling gives us that opportunity by taking over FS part time. We have to deal with the possibility that the upgrade at safety could be marginal. The draft is very shallow at safety and the FA crop is really lackluster. There's Branch, Griffin and Goldson(franchise tag). All of whom will command top dollar and the drop off afterwards is of a cliff like nature.

I say bring Dowling along slowly at FS and increase his reps as he becomes more acclimated later in the year.

until something pops......drafting this guy was one of the biggest flops last year

I would love to have McCourty and Dowling switch roles. Have Dowling as the RCB and in nickel have him move to FS(6'1 200) That way we can utilize Sterling Moore as well on 3rd with him as your NB. I just think Dowling's Frame and athleticism lend very well to him taking on that role part time if we don't go safety in FA.

Anyone know if he got any safety reps @ Virginia?

Why would you want to put the bigger injury risk at safety?

Guys seriously did you all feel that Devin McCourty played Safety that well? I was not impressed...what an enigma.

He's clearly very talented but his injury history is not promising at all.

You would rather have Dowling playing the nickle/slot CB role than Arrington? It seemed as though Arrington did a pretty good job of covering Cruz in the SB.

To my knowledge, when we discussed the option of Dowling playing the slot last yr, he did not do that very much (or maybe it was not very well?) when he was at Virginia. Most were of the impression that Leigh Bodden would be the one moving to the slot last yr (before Dowling's injury and Bodden's release).

I would like to have Moore and Dowling as outside CB's with Arrington in the slot. That would either leave McCourty as exclusive free safety, or allow McCourty to play full-time CB with Dowling and Moore battling for the other outside spot. The loser of that battle could be the exclusive dime back, and offer a nice depth role in case of injury.

One way or another, this secondary is getting improved. I think they are still a player--maybe two away, depending on Belichick's view and thoughts on how to use Devin McCourty.

I do think that we'll see both Dowling and McCourty being able to offer some versatility in training camp practice reps at both positions of CB and S. This way in case of injury or worst case scenario, we have more options. It will be interesting to see how Belichick approaches the secondary in free agency + the draft. That should possibly give us a glimpse of how McCourty may be primarily used next yr.

Ideally I would like to see
LCB McCourty
RCB Dowling
Nickel FA who could start if Dowling cant/doesnt
Dime Arrington
Fighting for roster spot Moore, Williams, Day 3 draft pick
S Chung
S FA
3rd S Day 2 FA
4th S Barrett/Lockett/Ihedigbo

Ideally I would like to see
LCB McCourty
RCB Dowling
Nickel FA who could start if Dowling cant/doesnt
Dime Arrington
Fighting for roster spot Moore, Williams, Day 3 draft pick
S Chung
S FA
3rd S Day 2 FA
4th S Barrett/Lockett/Ihedigbo

I would be fine with this too, of course.

In my opinion, I'd be willing to have Moore trade spots with the dime, have Arrington play the star, and let a lower level FA fight it out with Williams and a day 3 draft pick.

I'd love to have a decent FA safety, but for some reason I feel a bit pessimistic that BB will pull the trigger with what's out there, although I have not fully looked at the entire list of potential FA's either in regards to lower level players.

I'm also fine with McCourty continuing to move to FS in subs at times, or even full-time, continuing the experiment from last yr (if BB feels as though that is the best approach, of course).

Ihedigbo as the #4th safety is also fine with me, maybe even preferred. I'm just not sold on Barrett, Lockett, or Ventrone.

I like this defensive backfield a lot. Excellent speed and good ball skills. Defensive backs need a few years to become competent in the NFL and start emerging as dependable and highly valued around age 25 and hit their primes at age 27 or so.

And they get hurt. These guys are running at top speed, doing very athletic things and involved in collisions and full-speed falls. DBs play Special Teams for their speed and tackling ability.

There are a couple of stories floating around about the Competition Committee expanding rosters so teams can add defensive backs, because teams want to carry at least 8 but do not want to sacrifice LBs and must have depth at DL. Edelman became an 8th DB in effect.

The Pats are looking to assemble a group of six or seven guys who can cover and be interchangeable. This group - Chung, McCourty, Arrington, Barrett, Moore, Ihedigbo, Edelman and Dowling gives them that. They got better as the season progressed, especially when Chung returned. They played well in the playoffs as a group. They'll be better next year with an off-season together.

I suspect there will be several new guys in camp, both FAs and draftees, which will be good. But I also think chemistry of the unit is important which is why Merriweather got dumped.

Last edited:
I know it's been said but improve the OLB/DE pass rush and these guys instantly all become better

I also wonder whether McCourty may stay in a FS role, I thought he looked pretty good there with Moore at RCB and Arrington in the slot. Up against one of the best WR groups in the NFL in the Giants i thought they did very well. Dowling would then project to play LCB

Why would you want to put the bigger injury risk at safety?

For one, I think his injury situation is becoming overstated. I also think if your putting Dowling at FS part-time when we are in Nickel or Dime he won't be making many plays at the LOS either.

The move is more about McCourty than it is Dowling honestly. McCourty helps this D a ton by getting back to his rookie level of play. He needs to be at CB 100% of the time to accomplish that imo.

The real issue is that I believe safety will only improve marginally with what's out there. I expect a lower level signing and/or a rookie @ FS.

I like this defensive backfield a lot. Excellent speed and good ball skills.

Were we watching the same secondary? :confused:

Defensive backs need a few years to become competent in the NFL and start emerging as dependable and highly valued around age 25 and hit their primes at age 27 or so.

What research tells you that this is the case? I am quite puzzled by McCourty most of all though. 1st year he comes out gangbusters and looks like an all-pro his rookie season. 2nd year he is just simply AWFUL. Offenses picked on him on purpose. What happened to him, was McCourty playing with a hidden injury or what? Can anyone also tell me what happened to Bodden? The timing of when he got cut really puzzles me. Why would you dump a veteran CB down the stretch and be forced to stick in untested players like Molden and Moore?

Dowling has potential if healthy, but that's the key word there. Health. There are a number of other players I would have rather taken in the draft considering the limited production we got out of Dowling.

The Pats secondary needs a serious bolstering. FS and another CB are key adds on the offseason shopping list.

Were we watching the same secondary? :confused:

What research tells you that this is the case? I am quite puzzled by McCourty most of all though. 1st year he comes out gangbusters and looks like an all-pro his rookie season. 2nd year he is just simply AWFUL. Offenses picked on him on purpose. What happened to him, was McCourty playing with a hidden injury or what? Can anyone also tell me what happened to Bodden? The timing of when he got cut really puzzles me. Why would you dump a veteran CB down the stretch and be forced to stick in untested players like Molden and Moore?

Dowling has potential if healthy, but that's the key word there. Health. There are a number of other players I would have rather taken in the draft considering the limited production we got out of Dowling.

The Pats secondary needs a serious bolstering. FS and another CB are key adds on the offseason shopping list.

Bodden was hurt. Needed surgery. No conspiracy.

Leigh Bodden - New England Patriots - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The entire secondary needs a facelift. Are people confident with McCourty starting? He was ****ing terrible this year. Has there been a worse defensive captain on defense? I don't know. But I'm not confident in any of them.

For one, I think his injury situation is becoming overstated. I also think if your putting Dowling at FS part-time when we are in Nickel or Dime he won't be making many plays at the LOS either.

The move is more about McCourty than it is Dowling honestly. McCourty helps this D a ton by getting back to his rookie level of play. He needs to be at CB 100% of the time to accomplish that imo.

I still blame the lockout on most of McCourty's struggles throughout last year, I think he needed that offseason to build off his last season. Hopefully, a full offseason will help him this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back