PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dowling ready for full offseason workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I wouldn't go there yet, BTM.

If Dowling is significantly injured another yr, then we can start to make that assumption.

Sometimes sh!t happens, and that may have been the case with Dowling this yr.

The guy has not played a full season since high school, and suddenly he is going to be iron man? Look we can start the Ras-I to IR countdown clock now, my bet is that he doesn't make it out of training camp. Counting on him would be a mistake.

BTW did anyone else see Ras-IO's brother from another mother, Shawn Crable on the NFL Network during their coverage of the "regional scouting combine" at the Jets place? I'm pretty sure he pulled a hammy running the 40.

The guy has not played a full season since high school.

Why do people keep saying this when it is blatantly untrue and we have provided the links time and time again to show that it is not true?

to recap for the 100th time:

Ras-I didn't play the opening game his freshman year because he was deep on the depth chart. He did get into the second game, played well, and then played in every game his freshman year. His sophomore year he did miss one game -not sure why. Then in his junior year he played and started in every single game.

To summarize, he missed 2 out of 35 games, only one of them possibly due to injury, in three seasons, period.

His senior year was a mess, we all know that. Broken ankle, following hamstring and calf issues, out after only 5 games, missing 7. But this notion that he has been injured for 9 seasons straight or something is just bizarre.

He missed 8 games in four years due to injuries in college. If that freaks you out, you must have been a basket case when we picked Rob Gronkowski, who missed 16 games in 3 years due to injuries in college and was rumored to have career-threatening spinal stenosis.

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see what Pats have in Jeff Tarpanian and Markel Carter. Maybe Carter can contribute this year. Pats are getting younger and the kids have to step up their game if they want to stick on the roster.

This year will be like a rookie TC for Cannon and a semi-rookie TC for last years draftees. Want to see what Vereen has as well :rocker:

Ridley is gonna have a breakout year..just a feeling :cool:

Dowling and one of Ridley/Vereen need to step up next year at their positions. If Dowling proves to be a viable outside starting CB and we develop a dangerous run game, you can pretty much book this team in the SB.

Preferably I'd also love to see us land a guy like Goldson and keep DMC-Dowling-Arrington at CB with Moore providing depth at both positions. Another option I could see if Dowling-Arrington-Moore CB tandem with McCourty moving to FS.

The guy has not played a full season since high school, and suddenly he is going to be iron man? Look we can start the Ras-I to IR countdown clock now, my bet is that he doesn't make it out of training camp. Counting on him would be a mistake.

BTW did anyone else see Ras-IO's brother from another mother, Shawn Crable on the NFL Network during their coverage of the "regional scouting combine" at the Jets place? I'm pretty sure he pulled a hammy running the 40.

Well that's just not true.

i hope the guy stays healthy. the few times he was out there this year he looked the part. and seemed to play pretty good

I just won't post then...
Don't act like you would be punishing me. I'm just saying making a post saying you are giving up a guy because he got injured in his rookie year seems like a waste of webspace.

Preferably I'd also love to see us land a guy like Goldson and keep DMC-Dowling-Arrington at CB with Moore providing depth at both positions. Another option I could see if Dowling-Arrington-Moore CB tandem with McCourty moving to FS.

You have to think that Goldson's agent is going to take a really good year by Goldson and turn that into a ton of money. I can't see BB landing Goldson, but anything is possible.

You have to think that Goldson's agent is going to take a really good year by Goldson and turn that into a ton of money. I can't see BB landing Goldson, but anything is possible.

It's definitely going to cost us, but it's a move that could be well worth the money. If McCourty plays to 2010 form with legit safety help, this defense and it's improving pass rush could honestly be top 10 next year.

Some of you people are real *******s.

Goldson is going to get tagged per the mediots.

Goldson is going to get tagged per the mediots.

Bummer, I was psyched when the Pats worked him out last offseason. Makes sense that he went back and signed a one-year deal with the 49ers, though- he was pretty much banking on 2011 unfolding for him exactly as it did, so I'm sure he intends to cash in on that now. If he was going to come to New England for less, he would have last year.

I'm waiting to see what Pats have in Jeff Tarpanian and Markel Carter. Maybe Carter can contribute this year. Pats are getting younger and the kids have to step up their game if they want to stick on the roster.

This year will be like a rookie TC for Cannon and a semi-rookie TC for last years draftees. Want to see what Vereen has as well :rocker:

Ridley is gonna have a breakout year..just a feeling :cool:

The fact that it was a fumbling problem that derailed Ridley is a good thing (relative to other cause for derailing), IMO. Lots of RBs come into the league with ball security issues--Kevin Faulk being the prime Patriots example that I can think of--but it's clearly something that can be fixed with enough repetition and training.

Never claimed he was going to be "an iron man," not quite sure where you think I came anywhere close to saying that.

I said that you can't write a guy off because of one yr, and that sometimes sh!t happens. My theory was to wait another yr before becoming pessimistic. You seem to have your own theory and that's fine too, I respect your opinion.

Considering that he was a day one starter as a rookie, and he looked pretty good at times as a bigger, physical CB, I myself will give him another yr.

Never claimed he was going to be "an iron man," not quite sure where you think I came anywhere close to saying that.

I said that you can't write a guy off because of one yr, and that sometimes sh!t happens. My theory was to wait another yr before becoming pessimistic. You seem to have your own theory and that's fine too, I respect your opinion.

Considering that he was a day one starter as a rookie, and he looked pretty good at times as a bigger, physical CB, I myself will give him another yr.

Why? Pretty sure he's never given anyone a single reason to respect his opinion. Guy's a troll.

I would agree with your post if it wasnt for this one sentence. I just cant get behind this guy. :confused2:

I think it's telling that these are 2 quotes that I found from sportswriters just today regarding Ihedigbo's play for the Pats last yr:

1. "In the defensive backfield, former University of Massachusetts' safety James Ihedigbo had a surprising year for the Pats."

2. "James Ihedigbo was given more responsibility in 2011 than at any point in his career, and he handled it admirably."

Like I said, I agree with you that there should be an upgrade in talent, but where we seem to differ in opinions is whether or not Ihedigbo can offer a backup/depth role here for 2012.

Regardless, I certainly don't want to see him starting anymore. It will all depend on BB's thoughts as to whether or not McCourty will play a lot of safety in 2012. If so, we aren't nearly in the bad situation that we perceive at the moment. My guess is that's he's viewed as a pure CB again, but that may change if Belichick is not able to correct his mistake from last yr in this yr's draft (where the position seems weak), or FA.

I would love to have McCourty and Dowling switch roles. Have Dowling as the RCB and in nickel have him move to FS(6'1 200) That way we can utilize Sterling Moore as well on 3rd with him as your NB. I just think Dowling's Frame and athleticism lend very well to him taking on that role part time if we don't go safety in FA.

Anyone know if he got any safety reps @ Virginia?

I know he was a safety in high school, and the fact that he brought that up at all tells me that he didn't in college.

I would love to have McCourty and Dowling switch roles. Have Dowling as the RCB and in nickel have him move to FS(6'1 200) That way we can utilize Sterling Moore as well on 3rd with him as your NB. I just think Dowling's Frame and athleticism lend very well to him taking on that role part time if we don't go safety in FA.

You would rather have Dowling playing the nickle/slot CB role than Arrington? It seemed as though Arrington did a pretty good job of covering Cruz in the SB.

To my knowledge, when we discussed the option of Dowling playing the slot last yr, he did not do that very much (or maybe it was not very well?) when he was at Virginia. Most were of the impression that Leigh Bodden would be the one moving to the slot last yr (before Dowling's injury and Bodden's release).

I would like to have Moore and Dowling as outside CB's with Arrington in the slot. That would either leave McCourty as exclusive free safety, or allow McCourty to play full-time CB with Dowling and Moore battling for the other outside spot. The loser of that battle could be the exclusive dime back, and offer a nice depth role in case of injury.

One way or another, this secondary is getting improved. I think they are still a player--maybe two away, depending on Belichick's view and thoughts on how to use Devin McCourty.

I do think that we'll see both Dowling and McCourty being able to offer some versatility in training camp practice reps at both positions of CB and S. This way in case of injury or worst case scenario, we have more options. It will be interesting to see how Belichick approaches the secondary in free agency + the draft. That should possibly give us a glimpse of how McCourty may be primarily used next yr.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing