Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dow up 420 Points

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Mar 18, 2008.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who was it that was in here panicking last week when there was, like, a half hour blip where the DJIA dropped 300 points...? Boy don't you sure feel silly now, huh..?

2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I bet that 420 points is gone by Friday.

3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Do you not understand inflation or currency?
    If the fed doubles the amount of dollars in circulation and your house dollar value goes up less than double, do you think you just made money?

4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

you asking me? because i dod understand it.

isn't that what bush is doing with the tax refund? and we get to borrow this money from china?

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 12 / -11

Invest heavily in this market Obi. What better way is there for you to show your faith in the market?

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

It's silly to get all happy or sad about a day, week, month or year. But, despite the naysayers, the market is a good place to be and now will look like an especially good time when we can look back at it.

Patters - I'm all in, baby :D

7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm in as well. Bottom feeding, picking up strong names on weakness, making some money...even though my friends laugh at me for investing like a little old lady (strong biz, good dividends, no speculation in sight. LOL).

8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why does good economic news upset you so much..?

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have a well diversified portfolio, which includes some fixed income and it includes some market securities. I enjoy long term gains because I do not panic or react to every single little blip.

If you were to invest in the market today (with a diversified portfolio), I can't guarantee you what will happen next week... but I can guarantee you with absolute 100% certainty that you will have a solid rate of return and profit after 10 years.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 14 / -28

But somehow this does not translate well in our day to day lives, gas and diesel are still through the roof, food prices are increasing and there are record numbers of foreclosures.. guess the news is good for some, but for most not too much of a difference..

11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some people simply HATE to see anything good happening today in America. If Bill Clinton or another Dem were in the White House, these naysayers would suddenly become "you go, man/girl", celebrating in the streets, probably buying more cocaine, marijuana, and hiring more $2000 an hour prostitutes, even as their wives had to watch on.

But since it is happening while a Repub is in the White House, it is only spun as "bad news".

Such partisanship. The children of James Carville and Paul Begala.

//

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's how I've always invested. I'm not greatly influenced by the daily trends of the market as 95% is with good, strong stocks right now. Slow and steady wins the race. I make my cash selling crack to CIA agents...that's my high-risk sector.

Seriously though, I don't like how these big corps are liquidating over speculation. I really hate when the feds bail out these guys who come in and buy the stock at a discount. Banks are trading bad debt for good with the help of the feds and they don't even have to report it publicly. There's a lot of back-room dealing going on between the public and private entities. This governmental support of the economy for the sake of limiting shareholder losses is bogus. The Fed is just another welfare agency for the rich, and I'm sick of bailing out these undisciplined investors who win even when they lose. It supports an artificial economy and does not allow for natural market corrections. This is not a free market or capitalism. Brace yourselves. The government cannot support the economy forever. The interest rate cannot go negative.

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So you're the one making the crack the CIA distributes in LA to finance their illegal activities? Damn skippy! I've always heard rumors about you, but never believed it.

The biggest problem as I see it is that, just like every other aspect of the current nanny state, the bailouts are being expected and demanded. Wall Street stamps it's collective feet and holds it's collective breath and the market drops 400 and the 24/7 news channels go balls to the wall apesh!t over it which leads to more panic which leads to the fed jumping in where they're not really needed.

In other words, if once or twice the fed said "sod off. you got into it, get out of it of fold", I wonder what would happen? It might be bad for a little while, but even Cramer was hoping Bear would actually fold, as he thought that might produce an actual hard bottom.

I don't like the government messing in the economy any more than absolutely necessary.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

The fed actually did that to Bear. After they were sold they opened the discount window to brokerages, if they'd done it 24 hours earlier it's almost a guarantee Bear would still be around today. In fact it's entirely possible the Bear board will reject the $2 per share offer and try to save itself by playing by today's rules and borrowing from the discount window.

15. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I must've missed that part. Hmm. Oh well, more reading for me I guess.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

CNBC - Kudlow & Company. Must see TV, although most of it is over my head :(

17. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

18. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

O spare us.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

It's kind of cute, he just personifies the negative liberal. He makes me laugh in a pathetic kind of way. We want to raise everyone up, he wants to bring everyone down just like his party.

20. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

The number of tents is Up by 400 points . :rolleyes: