PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Flutie Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Doug Flutie Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacky Roberts said:
The NFL is probably the most watered down of the HOFs. Flutie should get consideration for what he's done.

How is the NFL HOF the most watered down?
And what exactly did Flutie do in the NFL that would warrant HOF consideration?

And while we're at it. Warren Moon is not in the HOF due to his CFL exploits. He has almost 50,000 NFL passing yards. Multiple 3000 yard seasons and was one of the first full time African American quarterbacks. Not to metntion that at the time of his retirement he was third on the NFL all time passing yards list. Anyone who thinks Flutie should be in Canton needs to spend some time reviewing some of the bios at http://www.profootballhof.com/ and then come back here and tell us that his NFL career stacks up.

Last edited:
jimmyjames said:
How is the NFL HOF the most watered down?
And what exactly did Flutie do in the NFL that would warrant HOF consideration?

Sigh. You realize Canton is not the "NFL Hall of Fame", right? It is the "Pro football hall of fame". Professionally, Flutie had a stellar career and is worthy of consideration. Look at Joe Namath's stats and tell me his enshrinement doesn't show how watered down the HOF is. Namath is the most overrated athlete in US history. Here, I'll do it for you:

Namath (Hall of Famer):

AFL stats: 15,487 yards, 97 TD, 104 INT, 50.2 completion rate
NFL stats: 12,176 yards, 76 TD, 116 INT, 50.0 completion rate.

For the record, Flutie had 14,715 NFL passing yards, 86 TDs and 68 INTs with a 54.7 completion rate (all stats better than Namath).

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
Sigh. You realize Canton is not the "NFL Hall of Fame", right? It is the "Pro football hall of fame". Professionally, Flutie had a stellar career and is worthy of consideration. Look at Joe Namath's stats and tell me his enshrinement doesn't show how watered down the HOF is. Namath is the most overrated athlete in US history.

It's pro in name only. It's the NFL Hall of fame. Take a look at the selection process, scroll down to the lsit of cities and tell where you see Saskatchewan chef. http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Last edited:
I don't see any way you could justify Flutie in the HoF. It says Pro Football, but honestly the only Pro Football that matters is the NFL. You can't put the best CFL players into the HoF, cause that doesn't make them among the elite in football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacky Roberts said:
Ok, now tell me how many AFL players you see in there.

You know that the AFL merged with the NFL right? Therfore all AFL stats are considered NFL stats.

Jacky Roberts said:
Sigh. You realize Canton is not the "NFL Hall of Fame", right? It is the "Pro football hall of fame". Professionally, Flutie had a stellar career and is worthy of consideration. Look at Joe Namath's stats and tell me his enshrinement doesn't show how watered down the HOF is. Namath is the most overrated athlete in US history. Here, I'll do it for you:

Namath (Hall of Famer):

AFL stats: 15,487 yards, 97 TD, 104 INT, 50.2 completion rate
NFL stats: 12,176 yards, 76 TD, 116 INT, 50.0 completion rate.

For the record, Flutie had 14,715 NFL passing yards, 86 TDs and 68 INTs with a 54.7 completion rate (all stats better than Namath).

I think you just made more of an argument for Namath NOT being in the Hall of Fame versus Flutie being inducted. Namath had a 4000 yard passing season, an historic Super Bowl win, and led the NFL in passing yards 3 times.

I don't think Namath makes the Hall today, but times have changed.

jimmyjames said:
You know that the AFL merged with the NFL right? Therfore all AFL stats are considered NFL stats.

They did merge, but at the time, the AFL was considered a lesser league with players not good enough to play in the NFL. This is why the Jets Super Bowl win over the Colts was such an upset.

Murphys95 said:
I think you just made more of an argument for Namath NOT being in the Hall of Fame versus Flutie being inducted. Namath had a 4000 yard passing season, an historic Super Bowl win, and led the NFL in passing yards 3 times.

I brought up Namath just to show that the HOF is watered down. He's the classic example.

"Pro" football hall of fame

Some very stupid people keep posting about the "NFL hall of fame in Canton" or saying Flutie belongs in the CFL hall of fame but not the NFL one in Canton....morons, read the name of the damn place! Pro Football Hall of Fame. It is similar to the laughable "world series" of baseball, American arrogance knows no limits it seems. Hmm, didn't the USA have a dismal result at the true world cup of baseball in Cuba recently?
Be that as it may, whether Doug Flutie belongs in the Pro football hall of fame is a close call..his CFL record should neither be discounted nor overemphasized. As a CFL and NFL fan I realize that the CFL is not at the same level, but neither is it a bush league that might invite grandmothers to play...just ask any of the many NFL players who have played there before or after their NFL time. I think some of you cement heads need to realize the good ole USA isn't the only place in the universe - just because something happens outside your borders doesn't mean it is worthless. Have another bag of Fritos and a Bud.

Wow, how to make friends and influence people there, buddy; 3 posts and you feel confident in referring to posters here as "morons" and "cement heads."

We don't eat Fritos, by the way; we eat Tringles --- stackable tomato crisps, if you didn't know --- and we don't drink Bud --- we drink only the finest Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
DarthPatriot said:
...Rohan Davey tore up nfl europe now if he has a soso journeyman career in the nfl does he go to the hall of fame.

This may be the dumbest post I've read in quite a while. :bricks:

Hey everyone! No, I did not die, yadda-yadda. Very busy year at college! Didn't do so well, might I add! :p

For those who don't remember me, I am thought to be a troll. :)

Anyways, I don't think H.O.F. is Flutie worthy. :).
What do I really think? Flutie has had a great carrier, with awsome stats... but I don't think he earned himself the H.O.F. ... don't worry however, Brady has already earned himself a spot.

If Cappalletti isn't in tear the place down.

BradfordPatsFan said:
If Gino is not in the HOF, why should Flutie go in? I understand that it may be the "pro football" hall of fame but if one of the greatest football players of all time isn't in because he did most of his damage in the AFL and not NFL, then I doubt that you can argue for Flutie who did most of his work in Canada and the USFL.
IN Canton I see them use 3 names, for chrissakes, in stating the HOF's iidentity

Here Goes
Pro Football Hall of Fame---yes. he only got in 15,000 yds worth of passing in nfl, but isn't he a three-time league MVP? doesn't he hold almost all the CFL passing records?
NFL Hall of Fame: no
and "National Football Museum", dba the "Pro Football Hall of Fame": yes.
that's who they say they are, in their Mission Statement.
--http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/missionstatement.jsp:
look i'm not parsing words here.seems to me that a player who performend well in the nfl, who was something os a cult figure, and absolutey tore up the CFL, is deserving of inclusion
i don't know how you can get 20 people sitting around a table to agree on a single NAME for an hall, a symbol, as important as this. but no matter what, he's there already for The Pass. and he's still a cult figure.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
Part of the reason Moon got in the Hall was because of the combination of his CFL and NFL career. So why wouldn't Flutie's CFL career be considered also? I am not a huge Flutie fan (I was 5 when he threw the hail mary), but that would seem a little ridiculous to me. I realize Moon threw for 49,000 yards but it was in a run & shoot offense. I am not saying he should but you can't discount his CFL career.

* Moon had a much better career in the NFL than Flutie. The CFl is a pro league, but so are the monor league's in baseball and I don't know that that's considered with thier HOF. Nor is college play, high school play or pickup games. It wouldn't completely shock me if he got in either. There isn't any set criteria and there's example's of guys who probably should be in that aren't. When it comes to people voting, you never know what you'll get stuck with, or who'd get in the HOF.

This thread is maddening. i just don't see how anyone could take a realistic look at Flutie's NFL career and say he belongs in the Hall. The CFL is a second tier league to the NFL and the rules are not even the same.

I understand that Canton is called the pro Football HOF, and that anyone can be nominated. But if you look at the inductees there are only three people enshrined there with CFL ties:

Warren Moon: 50,000+ NFL passing yards, multiple 3000 and 1 40000yard passing season, 9 pro bowls, one the furst full time African American QB's, thrid on the all time NFL passing yards list when he retired
Bud Grant: Coached the Vikings to 11 division titles, 4 super bowls
Marv Levy, 8 or 9 division titles, 4 super bowls

The selection commitee is composed of 39 members: 32 local writers that represent each NFL team and 6 at large writers (NFL comumnists like Len Pasquerelli, Peter king and Michael Wilbon)
The Board of Directors is composed of past and former NFL owners like Pat Bowlen and Lamar Hunt.

It's a NFL entity regardless of the name.

Flutie had a long and storied career but honestly never did anything in the NFL that would warrant hall consideration.

davo53 said:
I think some of you cement heads need to realize the good ole USA isn't the only place in the universe - just because something happens outside your borders doesn't mean it is worthless. Have another bag of Fritos and a Bud.

Just for you Davo:

ATT00345.bmp

Of course, I am just kidding. You C'nooks are welcome to sit down and share a bowl of Tringles with us anytime.

Last edited:
I will double check Moon's stats....

PatsSteve1 said:
* Moon had a much better career in the NFL than Flutie. The CFl is a pro league, but so are the monor league's in baseball and I don't know that that's considered with thier HOF. Nor is college play, high school play or pickup games. It wouldn't completely shock me if he got in either. There isn't any set criteria and there's example's of guys who probably should be in that aren't. When it comes to people voting, you never know what you'll get stuck with, or who'd get in the HOF.

in the NFL....but I believe that he had a much more successful career in the NFL than Flutes....and had a great CFL career as well.....

what a great friggin post!

jimmyjames said:
This thread is maddening. i just don't see how anyone could take a realistic look at Flutie's NFL career and say he belongs in the Hall. The CFL is a second tier league to the NFL and the rules are not even the same.

I understand that Canton is called the pro Football HOF, and that anyone can be nominated. But if you look at the inductees there are only three people enshrined there with CFL ties:

Warren Moon: 50,000+ NFL passing yards, multiple 3000 and 1 40000yard passing season, 9 pro bowls, one the furst full time African American QB's, thrid on the all time NFL passing yards list when he retired
Bud Grant: Coached the Vikings to 11 division titles, 4 super bowls
Marv Levy, 8 or 9 division titles, 4 super bowls

The selection commitee is composed of 39 members: 32 local writers that represent each NFL team and 6 at large writers (NFL comumnists like Len Pasquerelli, Peter king and Michael Wilbon)
The Board of Directors is composed of past and former NFL owners like Pat Bowlen and Lamar Hunt.

It's a NFL entity regardless of the name.

Flutie had a long and storied career but honestly never did anything in the NFL that would warrant hall consideration.

Great post Jimmy!!!!.....Thanks for the stats......that is exactly what I figured about Moon..;..Flutes really accomplished NOTHING in the NFL....putting him in the NFL hall of fame would cheapen it......Now the Canadien HOF and College HOF......definitely

well.......

Murphys95 said:

Well they shouldn't........all pro sports seem to be cheapening themselves......it's like Pam Anderson getting a star on the hollywood walk of fame.........which used to be reserved for the GREAT actors, actresses and entertainers that paid their dues for years for that recognition......CHEAP......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey