PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Flutie Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Doug Flutie Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cfl Hall Of Fame - - - Yes

Usfl Hall Of Fame - - - Sure

Nfl Hall Of Fame - - - Nfw!!!

Merely Adequate In The Nfl. Never Great!! Doesn't Deserve It.

No. Are there going to be Arena football "greats" inducted, too?

Sure he's got some good numbers, but he's been around for 21 years. More of a compiler than anything. There is something to be said for longevity, especially in pro football (or semi-pro in the case of the CFL), but hanging on should hardly qualify for enshrinement.

From the Pro Football Hall of Fame website:

The Method of Selection of Enshrinees:
Election of new members to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is solely the responsibility of the 39-member Board of Selectors, a committee largely made up of sports writers. Each NFL city has one representative with two from New York City, because of its two teams. There also is a representative of the Pro Football Writers Association, and six are at-large representatives.
The Selection Committee meets each year on the day before the Super Bowl to elect a new class of enshrinees. To be elected, a nominee must obtain 80 percent of the vote of those selectors in attendance. Present rules call for the election of between three and six new enshrinees each year. Any fan may nominate any pro football contributor or player simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only limitation is that a player must have been retired at least five years and a coach must be retired. Other contributors (owners, administrative personnel, etc.) may be nominated and elected while they are still active.
http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/release.jsp?release_id=932

Interestingly enough I can't find anything that limits it to just the NFL but according to the criteria listed above I can't see Flutie getting in nor do I think he deserves it. It would be interesting if they did put in a section for other leagues like CFL, Arena, NFL Europe. But as for having a bust no way. I was at the hall last year and they did have some stuff from the USFL but most of those guys went on to be NFL players who were in the hall anyway, Young and Kelly come to mind.

PatsRI said:
From the Pro Football Hall of Fame website:
...a committee largely made up of sports writers. Each NFL city has one representative with two from New York City, because of its two teams...

Shouldn't those reps be from the Times of Trenton and the Star-Ledger? Where's the love for East Rutherford? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Flutie has had a football career unique in the annals of the sport. He's a one-of-a-kind of many ways. There would be nothing conventional about electing him to the HOF, but there was nothing conventional about his career either. I say yes. Do it.

sarge said:
Nope!

As far as I know, Canton is strictly for the NFL.

If he were to get in, it would be more for name recognition then anything else, and it would diminish the honor of making it to the HOF.

Ok that was what I wasn't too sure of. I didnt know if the HOF was strictly for the NFL.

AndyJohnson said:
Isnt it May 15th, not April 1st?????????

I started laughing when I saw the question then realized people are saying yes.
He is not even close to close to being in the discussion.

I have to agree with AJ and the others saying no. He's not ever close. By what measure would one say that he's worthy?

SoonerPatriot said:
The idea of Flutie in the HOF is LAUGHABLE. He doesn't have the stats and more importantly his impact on pro football was minimal. The hail mary was neat -- 22 years ago -- but had nothing to do with the NFL and when you think about it, was Flutie's high water mark in football.

He threw for over 43,000 yards in the CFL and another 17,000+ in the NFL... that is more yards than Dan Marino... more yards than any other QB ever with exception of Warren Moon.

Moon was recently inducted into the HOF. I don't think he would have been inducted if his efforts in the CFL weren't considered. If you add up his yards in both leagues, he threw for more yards than any QB ever... more than Dan Marino. Here are two QBs who didn't do a whole lot beyond having long careers and a Sh!t load of passing yards.

Doug Flutie is right smack in the middle of Marino and Moon in passing yards if the CFL is considered. Dan Marino and Waren Moon never won a SB championship and they were inducted. Flutie may not have won a SB Championship, but he did win three CFL championships (grey cups) and was the league MVP 6 times.

If the Pro Football HOF is not limited to the NFL, then I think he should be inducted. For those of you who think he did nothing special in the CFL, read what Belichick has to say about it:

"His accomplishments up there are more than legendary"

Sounds like a pretty good endorsement to me.

Last edited:
Part of the reason Moon got in the Hall was because of the combination of his CFL and NFL career. So why wouldn't Flutie's CFL career be considered also? I am not a huge Flutie fan (I was 5 when he threw the hail mary), but that would seem a little ridiculous to me. I realize Moon threw for 49,000 yards but it was in a run & shoot offense. I am not saying he should but you can't discount his CFL career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even close. He's had a good career and his story is a great one but he shouldn't even make the ballot debate, nevermind serious consideration.

the highlight of his carreer was during his college years- COLLEGE! NOT NFL. yes, it was a good drop-kick. but that does not justify hall of fame status.

I think it comes down to whether Canton is strictly NFL or not. If it is strictly NFL, clearly Flutie did not accomplish enough in the NFL (though I think many Flutie fans would argue that NFL attitudes had something to do with that). But if it is not strictly NFL, then I think there is no doubt that Flutie's dominance in the CFL should make him a shoo-in. Yes, the CFL is a lesser league, for the most part, but it is also a different league, with different rules, that provides an outlet not just for lesser players, but also for players - like Flutie, I would argue - who were not a good fit for the NFL for other reasons.

Arena league? I don't know anything about Arena football, but I can imagine Arena players in the Hof. The bar would have to be a lot higher. But it seems to me that if you had a player who was dominant in Arena football and for whom a case could be made that their reason for not making a major impact in the NFL did not necessarily have to do with insufficient talent, such a player should be considered for Canton.

Surely we can all agree that as great as the NFL is, it is not league were coaches and owners like to experiment. Almost everyone likes to go for the sure thing. When someone does have success with an innovation, you don't see everyone else suddenly innovating. You see everyone imitating the innovation that worked!

If you don't fit the mold in the NFL, they typically can't use you. I'm not saying that as an absolute. It's more of a tendency, but a pretty strong one.

Has there ever been a player who didn't fit the mold as much as Flutie? As long as he's been in football, he's been a kind of running joke for many. That's how much this guy didn't fit the mold. We will never know what he could have done in the NFL in his prime, but what we can say is that even though he was not a good fit in the NFL and even though in most of the situations he was in there was considerable reluctance about committing to him, he did manage to have some success at the beginning of his career and considerably more at the tail end. Obviously, his stint in Buffalo was the high point of his NFL career. Even there he had to struggle against that old reluctance to rely on him, the preference for the guy who fit the mold and he was sliding down the backside of his career, physical skills not quite what they were. His one full year at the helm in SD, he passed for a career high in yards, but there was no doubt that he was a step slower and probably not quite the gun slinger he had once been (not that he ever had a strong arm).

I think it's amazing what Flutie did accomplish in the NFL, despite the way the deck seemed to be stacked against him, and I think there's no way to dismiss the fact that he didn't just star in the CFL, he completely dominated the league while he was there. That alone tells you that he was more of a misplaced talent than an inadequate talent.

"Pro" football HOF = yes. Obviously 'no' to the NFL Hall. Certainly 'yes' to the College HOF.

Doug Flutie = Rudy x 100... but that still doesn't get him in at Canton

he doesn't have the numbers, but as a 5' 9" QB, his career was never about the numbers

Unfortunately Flutie's career just defies classifcation - from BC to the USFL to his first go-round with the NFL, he continued to "grow" - just not in height.

He took his leadership and skills to the next level in the CFL, dominating that league until he finally was given the respect due in the NFL. Even then coaches just couldn't fully convince themselves to fully commit to him - and they paid the price for their lack of foresight

So based on his NFL football career, Flutie doesn't deserve to get in - but that's the NFL's fault more than his own

Brady,
Grogan,
Plunket,
Eason,
Kinsbury,
Davey,
Casall,
and 5 or 6 other Patriot QB's who's names escape me have a better chance.

This has got to be a joke.

glecco said:
Brady,
Grogan,
Plunket,
Eason,
Kinsbury,
Davey,
Casall,
and 5 or 6 other Patriot QB's who's names escape me have a better chance.

This has got to be a joke.

It's not the NFL Hall of Fame, it's the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He'll get some consideration due to his Canada Days just like Warren Moon did.

Moon had a much better NFL career than Flutie. I really don't see Doug getting in.

There are many good football player who do not get in the HOF.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
He threw for over 43,000 yards in the CFL and another 17,000+ in the NFL... that is more yards than Dan Marino... more yards than any other QB ever with exception of Warren Moon.

Moon was recently inducted into the HOF. I don't think he would have been inducted if his efforts in the CFL weren't considered. If you add up his yards in both leagues, he threw for more yards than any QB ever... more than Dan Marino. Here are two QBs who didn't do a whole lot beyond having long careers and a Sh!t load of passing yards.

Doug Flutie is right smack in the middle of Marino and Moon in passing yards if the CFL is considered. Dan Marino and Waren Moon never won a SB championship and they were inducted. Flutie may not have won a SB Championship, but he did win three CFL championships (grey cups) and was the league MVP 6 times.

If the Pro Football HOF is not limited to the NFL, then I think he should be inducted. For those of you who think he did nothing special in the CFL, read what Belichick has to say about it:

"His accomplishments up there are more than legendary"

Sounds like a pretty good endorsement to me.

You are wrong. Flutie had a combined 58,179 passing yards in his career. Damon Allen - a CFL legend and possibly the greatest player ever in Canada - is one of only three players to throw for over 60,000 yards in a pro football career. I take it he gets your endorsement too or no because he's not from Mass and didn't play for BC and the Patriots?

PATSNUTme said:
Moon had a much better NFL career than Flutie. I really don't see Doug getting in.

There are many good football player who do not get in the HOF.

The NFL is probably the most watered down of the HOFs. Flutie should get consideration for what he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back