PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Flutie Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Doug Flutie Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Should Doug Flutie be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Yes/No?

I say yes because it's the "PRO" Football Hall of Fame and all that he accomplished in the CFL and NFL should be worthy of serious consideration and ultimately induction.

MrTibbs said:
I say yes because it's the "PRO" Football Hall of Fame and all that he accomplished in the CFL and NFL should be worthy of serious consideration and ultimately induction.

Yup.

BB sounds as though he's giving his endorsement...

"He is a guy that adds a lot to this game of football, has added a lot through his great career -- running, passing and now kicking." - from after Miami game

He's done more for PRO football than Vinatraitor ever will.

21 Years is one heck of a career.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FLUTIE FLIES THE COOP

Long-time pro quarterback Doug Flutie announced his retirement from the NFL on Monday, more than 21 years after capping his college career with a with one of the most famous Hail Mary plays in football history -- and winning the Heisman Trophy.

And Flutie will return to his roots in the next stage of his career, working as an college football analyst for ABC and ESPN.

At the pro level, Flutie played in the CFL and the NFL. But he started out with the USFL, and Sports Illustrated asked whether Flutie could be the savior for the league with ambitions larger than its bank accounts.

After the USFL finally packed it in, Flutie landed with the Chicago Bears, where he threw 46 passes during the 1986 season. He then spent three years with the Patriots -- starting nine games in 1988 -- before trying his hand in Canada.

In eight seasons with the CFL, Flutie became a superstar with the B.C. Lions, Calgary Stampeders, and Toronto Argonauts. He was named the league's most outstanding players a record six times, and he threw for more than 6,000 in two different seasons. His teams won three Grey Cups, and he was the MVP of each game.

In 1998, Flutie returned to the NFL, joining the Buffalo Bills. He started 30 games in three seasons with the Bills, earning two Pro Bowl nods. After the 2000 season, Flutie was on the losing end of a much-publicized quarterback controversy with Rob Johnson. Flutie landed in San Diego, where he started all 16 games during the 2001 season. Thereafter, he gave way to Drew Brees but remained with the team for three more years as a backup. He returned to New England 18 years after he first signed with the Patriots, finsihing his career as the backup to Tom Brady.

Flutie punctuated one of the most unique and lengthy pro football careers by converting an extra point -- via a drop kick -- on his last NFL snap.

"If that ends up being my last play, it wouldn't be bad," Flutie said after the game.

Only days after some folks in the media debated whether Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith should make it to the Hall of Fame, we think that Flutie merits far more serious consideration than Smith. It is, after all, the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Flutie's unique path, and extreme success, are the kinds of thing that should be inspiring kids with an interest in the sport long after we're all taking a permanent nap in a pine box.

Besides, if Flutie lands a spot in Canton, he'll likely be the only Hall of Famer who was winless for his collegiate career against the West Virginia Mountaineers. . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. CFL Hall of Fame, yes.

NFL HOF no, but should probably be HOF NE player.

I say yes, isnt he 3rd alltime in passing yards for a career in pro football?

PatsChick87 said:
NFL HOF no, but should probably be HOF NE player.
Pro Football HOF, no. He was a great college player (Heisman, Hail Mary), and a great CFL player (6 MVPs), but his NFL and USFL stats and career accomplishments do not rise to HOF caliber. And the CFL is a MINOR LEAGUE... heck, even Michael Bishop can play there.

Patriots HOF: sorry, no again. His two stints with the Pats do not add up to much. Other than his famous drop kick, what about his Patriots career would justify inducting him? He is only 12th on the team's all team passing yards list, behind such immortals as Mark Wilson, Mike Taliaferro, Butch Songin, Hugh Millen and Matt Cavanaugh. Heck, he only has 50% of the passing yards that Millen has! Get real, folks!

PatsSaintsSox said:
I say yes, isnt he 3rd alltime in passing yards for a career in pro football?
He doesn't even have 15,000 passing yards in the NFL...

And I don't think CFL counts towards the HOF, or at least certainly shouldn't. I mean, my grandmother could tear it up in that league.

Isnt it May 15th, not April 1st?????????

I started laughing when I saw the question then realized people are saying yes.
He is not even close to close to being in the discussion.

Nope!

As far as I know, Canton is strictly for the NFL.

If he were to get in, it would be more for name recognition then anything else, and it would diminish the honor of making it to the HOF.

AndyJohnson said:

That is certainly true. After posting above I read the nfl.com article on his retirement. What really stood out in there (apropos this question) is that he spent most of his NFL career as a backup.

Honestly, Flutie has had some great NFL moments and certainly had great college and CFL careers, but I really don't get all the commotion about him.

AndyJohnson said:

My respect for your opinions is at an all time low....VERY low.....

I'd say yes if you count what he's done in the CFL and in college. His story as a football player is really an inspiration. Here's a guy who bounced around but found a lot of success and managed to make a lot of good memories. That drop kick was just the cap stone to a great career.

Now if you are going on NFL career alone, then I'd say it would be a tough argument to get him in. But I'd think we all know Doug Flutie is more of a player than just what he showed in the last 8 years in the NFL.

There's absolutely no way he gets into the NFL Hall.

Based on reason, I was about to vote No, even though I was always a Flutie fan, despite his attending BC where my ******ed brother went, but seeing PatsSteve1 and others voting, I'll vote Yes for the dwarf scab, my man Flutie, the always winner at Foxboro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats726 said:
My respect for your opinions is at an all time low....VERY low.....

Well you had better start making a list, because Vinnie Testeverde has a better shot at the Hall than Flutie does.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Gino is not in the HOF, why should Flutie go in? I understand that it may be the "pro football" hall of fame but if one of the greatest football players of all time isn't in because he did most of his damage in the AFL and not NFL, then I doubt that you can argue for Flutie who did most of his work in Canada and the USFL.

Is Warren Moon in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back