PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Double standard or more anti-Pats bias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdly Metro

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was reading a blog by John Walters of NBC Sports after the BCS championship game and he brought up the idea that most of the country (including the president elect) are clamoring for a college football playoff in the interest of "fairness" and to make sure the best teams (like 13-0 Utah and 13-1 USC this year) have a chance to play for the championship. He then contrasts that overwhelming sentiment to the almost indifferent attitude the same people (except Pats fans of course) have regarding an 11-5 team being left out of the playoffs.
Another point I'd love a playoff advocate to explain to me: Why, if it is unfair that 13-0 Utah or even 12-1 USC does not "have a shot" at the national championship (and I'm not saying that it is fair), do I not hear a similar uproar about the New England Patriots? The Pats finished 11-5 this season, giving them a better record than four of the twelve NFL teams that made the playoffs.

The Pats have a better record than one-third of the teams in the NFL postseason, and they're not invited? That's fair? I understand that they didn't win their division, but isn't a division an artifiical construct meant to make it easier for fans to develop rivalries, etc.? Does anyone really believe the Pats, who beat the Arizona Cardinals 47-7 in their 15th game, are a worse team than the Cards, who are playing in a divisional playoff game this evening?

I understand how the NFL works and I'm not saying they need to alter their system. What I don't understand is how those who gripe for a playoff in college football can be perfectly fine with the Pats not being in the playoffs. Because it seems to me that their argument, that Barack's argument, is that the best teams are not settling it on the field. Well, then how do they explain 8-8 Arizona in the postseason and 11-5 New England not in the postseason?

Of course, that led me to wonder if this contrast in attitudes about what's fair is simply a double standard or if it is something more sinister, namely, more anti-pats bias?

Do you honestly believe that if it had been the Jets, Giants, or Cowboys sitting it out at 11-5 while the team they absolutely destroyed in week 16 is in their conference champion game there wouldn't be a huge sh*t storm right now for the NFL to take a look at the playoff system this offseason? Is it because it's Belichick getting screwed that it's like "oh well that's just the way it goes sometimes?"

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between Utah and the Patriots being left out.

Utah is undefeated. They won every single game. There is absolutely nothing more they could have done and still gotten a shot at the title. This is not the first time Utah has gone undefeated and been left out. Utah does not control their own destiny on the first day of the season.

New England lost 5 games, four of them to playoff teams (Mia, Colts, Steelers, Bolts). If New England had won one more game they would be in the playoffs. NE controlled their own destiny until they lost the fifth game.

I think there is one clear difference between college and pro. In pro, there are clearly defined rule on how a teams enters the post season. According to those rules, we did not qualify.

Looking @ college, its a "ranking" system based on votes and some computer program. Most ppl just don't ~trust~ that system to be correct. You can think it stinks that the pats are not in the playoffs, but at least its explainable according to the rules.

i dont think this is anti-patriots at all. in fact, i think it may be pro-pats

There is a huge difference between Utah and the Patriots being left out.

Utah is undefeated. They won every single game. There is absolutely nothing more they could have done and still gotten a shot at the title. This is not the first time Utah has gone undefeated and been left out. Utah does not control their own destiny on the first day of the season.

New England lost 5 games, four of them to playoff teams (Mia, Colts, Steelers, Bolts). If New England had won one more game they would be in the playoffs. NE controlled their own destiny until they lost the fifth game.

Yes. I get that. But like the man said...
I understand how the NFL works and I'm not saying they need to alter their system. What I don't understand is how those who gripe for a playoff in college football can be perfectly fine with the Pats not being in the playoffs. Because it seems to me that their argument, that Barack's argument, is that the best teams are not settling it on the field.

So how is it that the same people who are griping, on the one hand, that the best teams are not able to settle it on the field in college, can be okay with the best teams not settling it on the field in the NFL?

How can this be perceived as anti Pats bias. It seems like there are a lot of posters on this board who act like high school girls about our team. Perceived slights are aggressively searched out, gossip is taken for fact, and on and on it goes.
How anyone can still be pissed that the Pats are out of the playoffs is beyond me? The system was in place, you knew it was in place and the cards fell where they did. Making the playoffs is skill but its also luck. Sometimes the ball does not bounce your way. And lets face it, from 2001 to 2007 we've had some breaks go our way.
Look at the Eagles. They are in because two other teams lost in week 17. They are a good team but they got lucky.
We did not get the breaks needed after surrendering our fate to others with the Jets 3rd and 15 completion in OT. Who knew the Cowboys would suck and crap out against Baltimore, in Dallas? If the Cowboys win that game at home, they are in the playoffs, so are we and the Eagles are out. ***** happens.
We have a good team. We'll be right back in the thick of it next year. There are no guarantees in this game!
It seems to me that its the new fans of the Pats, post 2001 that are struggling with this. The ones who remember Jim Plunkett, John Hannah, Darryl Stingely, Morgan Stanley, know how blessed we've been

How can this be perceived as anti Pats bias. It seems like there are a lot of posters on this board who act like high school girls about our team. Perceived slights are aggressively searched out, gossip is taken for fact, and on and on it goes.
How anyone can still be pissed that the Pats are out of the playoffs is beyond me? The system was in place, you knew it was in place and the cards fell where they did. Making the playoffs is skill but its also luck. Sometimes the ball does not bounce your way. And lets face it, from 2001 to 2007 we've had some breaks go our way.
Look at the Eagles. They are in because two other teams lost in week 17. They are a good team but they got lucky.
We did not get the breaks needed after surrendering our fate to others with the Jets 3rd and 15 completion in OT. Who knew the Cowboys would suck and crap out against Baltimore, in Dallas? If the Cowboys win that game at home, they are in the playoffs, so are we and the Eagles are out. ***** happens.
We have a good team. We'll be right back in the thick of it next year. There are no guarantees in this game!
It seems to me that its the new fans of the Pats, post 2001 that are struggling with this. The ones who remember Jim Plunkett, John Hannah, Darryl Stingely, Morgan Stanley, know how blessed we've been

Thanks for laying out the ground rules for being a true fan. I'm 43 y/o and a fan since the mid 70's. I'm bummed but not complaining about the Pats getting left out this year. I understand it's the system and it worked against us this time. Life goes on.

The question is how can the same people who who are griping for a playoff in college football be okay with the Pats being left out (if their reasoning is from the perspective of "fairness")? Is that not a double standard in their thinking? If so, why are they okay with that double standard? Is it because it's Belichick? If it had happened to Peyton (like the OT controversy and subsequent brouhaha) would it not be a big deal right now instead of being shrugged off the way it has been?

Thanks for laying out the ground rules for being a true fan. I'm 43 y/o and a fan since the mid 70's. I'm bummed but not complaining about the Pats getting left out this year. I understand it's the system and it worked against us this time. Life goes on.

The question is how can the same people who who are griping for a playoff in college football be okay with the Pats being left out (if their reasoning is from the perspective of "fairness")? Is that not a double standard in their thinking? If so, why are they okay with that double standard? Is it because it's Belichick? If it had happened to Peyton (like the OT controversy and subsequent brouhaha) would it not be a big deal right now instead of being shrugged off the way it has been?

While much of the public hates the Patriots, I don't think it's true that most of the media does. The team has its haters but its supporters as well. I don't see this as a double-standard because pro teams go by records within each division, then resort to tie-breakers for wild card spots. While we complained that the Cards weren't worthy of a playoff spot, they've proven that when they don't have to fly 3,000 miles to play in a meaningless game (for them) during a blizzard, they can bring it.

Meanwhile, the "best" team in the AFC East laid a public turd. Would the Pats have done that much better than the Dolphins? Who knows?

The bowl system, like much within the NCAA, is hypocritical and imbalanced. God help us if Magicjack.com or FedEx don't get to spend ad dollars. :mad:

My intent was not to knock anyone or lay the ground work for being a true fan. I like your posts and respect what you say. In this case I think you are missing the point!
I just think that at some point you have to just accept that the Pats are not in it and move on. I say this because there is little value in comparing the college situation to the NFL playoff format. Why not bring in the CFL playoff structure into the debate? Its football too (although some would debate that)
I start to get fed up when Pats fans start to sound like Colts Fans.

So how is it that the same people who are griping, on the one hand, that the best teams are not able to settle it on the field in college, can be okay with the best teams not settling it on the field in the NFL?

Because the NFL system is fair. At the beginning of the season all 32 teams have the opportunity to win the superbowl. In the NFL if you go 19-0 you win the SB. No ifs, no buts, no and.

Ever NFL coach can tell his team, "win every game and we will be the champions".

In college the majority of teams can not be the champion even if they win all their games due to BCS bias. That's unfair.

While I am disappointed that the NEP didn't make the playoffs it is a fair system. Utah not having a shot at the title is unfair and is a horrible system. There is no comparison between Utah and NEP.

Because the NFL system is fair. At the beginning of the season all 32 teams have the opportunity to win the superbowl. In the NFL if you go 19-0 you win the SB. No ifs, no buts, no and.

Ever NFL coach can tell his team, "win every game and we will be the champions".

In college the majority of teams can not be the champion even if they win all their games due to BCS bias. That's unfair.

While I am disappointed that the NEP didn't make the playoffs it is a fair system. Utah not having a shot at the title is unfair and is a horrible system. There is no comparison between Utah and NEP.

Neither system is "fair".

Who won the SB last year? The cream does not always rise. The one game elimination in the NFL makes it like poker. If you are lucky enough you can beat the most skilled.

Who won the SB last year? The cream does not always rise. The one game elimination in the NFL makes it like poker. If you are lucky enough you can beat the most skilled.

Bingo.......

The Giants earned the Lombardi on the field. Unlike Florida who was given it by a computer, despite the fact nobody has beaten Utah.

The Giants earned the Lombardi on the field. Unlike Florida who was given it by a computer, despite the fact nobody has beaten Utah.

Florida earned it on the field too. Claiming otherwise doesn't make it true.

Florida earned it on the field too. Claiming otherwise doesn't make it true.

Utah didn't lose a single game. How can one claim they should not be the champions?

The Giants beat the Patriots in the desert.

The BCS system is a fraud.

Last edited:
Utah didn't lose a single game. How can one claim they should not be the champions?

The Giants beat the Patriots in the desert.

The BCS system is a fraud.

Utah played a soft schedule and, unless my memory fails me, never beat the #1 team in the land. Florida played a difficult schedule and beat the #1 ranked team in the country twice.

Think about your argument, because the Patriots beat the Giants last year, too, and only lost one game compared to 6 for the Giants.

Last edited:
Utah played a soft schedule and, unless my memory fails me, never beat the #1 team in the land. Florida played a difficult schedule and beat the #1 ranked team in the country twice.

Think about your argument, because the Patriots beat the Giants last year, too, and only lost one game compared to 6 for the Giants.

Utah should have been in the title game. Their absence make the BCS a fraud.

The Giants did beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. Florida (nor anybody else) beat Utah.

Utah should have been in the title game. Their absence make the BCS a fraud.

The Giants did beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. Florida (nor anybody else) beat Utah.

Ok, so you can't see the obvious, planet-size hole in your argument. In your eyes, 14-6 being ranked higher than than 18-1 is ok, even if 18-1 split the season series with 14-6, but it's a travesty for 13-0 to be ranked below 13-1 when 13-1 played a much harder schedule and beat two teams that had been ranked #1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes