PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Double Dirty Dog 14 Point ComeBacks ~ Any Precedent??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
2011-12-23-a_chsristmas_story-e1324698238239.jpg

I ask this of the Statisticians, the Historians, or anyone who knows: One of the guys on TeleVision ~ it sounded like Al Michaels, who I detest, and Christopher Colinsworth, who I've come to like very much ~ was claiming that it was historically unprecedented in the PlayOffs. They usually get these facts right, and it did in fact register a Ring of Truth in my mind. Can anyone confirm or deny these Reports?
39.gif

Last edited:
Seem to be universally confirmed. NFL.com said so.

As a matter of interest, why do you detest Al Michaels?

Yes, the quote from Reiss yesterday was that it was the first time a team had come back from 14 down twice in a playoff game. Also the first time it has happened at all since 2003.

So yeh, last night was a good night to be a Pats fan.

Might of been the first in the playoffs but Brady did it in college

Over the last decade and a half, the Pats have won many games in ways that are either unique ore extremely unlikely. A good coaching combined with mental toughness is a beautiful thing to watch.

Yes, the quote from Reiss yesterday was that it was the first time a team had come back from 14 down twice in a playoff game. Also the first time it has happened at all since 2003.

So yeh, last night was a good night to be a Pats fan.
And, more importantly, an awful night to be a Ravens fan. :D

2011-12-23-a_chsristmas_story-e1324698238239.jpg

I ask this of the Statisticians, the Historians, or anyone who knows: One of the guys on TeleVision ~ it sounded like Al Michaels, who I detest, and Christopher Colinsworth, who I've come to like very much ~ was claiming that it was historically unprecedented in the PlayOffs. They usually get these facts right, and it did in fact register a Ring of Truth in my mind. Can anyone confirm or deny these Reports?
39.gif

As a matter of interest, why do you detest Al Michaels?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this one, Brother Brit. It's been on my To Do List, but the answer is far longer than the question, and I've been insanely busy. I should also forewarn that my answer incorporates that little tiff we had back in 1776 or so, but is not meant to offend thee!! :eek:

Why, you inquire, do I detest Al Michaels? Be forewarned, as well, that my answer is easily interpretable as coming straight from the Tin Foil Hat Brigade ~ Persecution Complex, and all that. :p

Make'f it what you will, but your Query deserves an answer. Here's how I break it down:

01 ~ New York and Boston have always been Rivals. That's perfectly natural.

02 ~ But I've always sensed an underlying bitterness and jealousy to the attitude that KnickerBockers take to us Yankees. I sense a deep-rooted Inferiority Complex at the heart of it, perhaps going all the way back to 1775, when we Yankees ~ no offense, Brother Britt!! :D ~ drove a certain Army of RedCoats into the Sea, a Year after which the KnickerBockers, faced with the very same Threat that we'd faced alone and vanquished, cowered in cowardly Fear and refused to vote for the Declaration of Independence!!

03 ~ I seriously doubt that even 1 in an 100 KnickerBockers even know these historical facts, but you can be certain that everyone in New York ~ and all the 13 Colonies ~ knew it back then...And my study of Human Nature tells me that Shame is a powerful Driving Force, one that causes Cowards to hate Heroes.

04 ~ I believe that The American Revolution ~ and New York's Cowardice & Fear in July of 1776 ~ gave birth to New York's Inferiority Complex towards New EngLand...and that that Soul Sickness & Shame ~ and that bitter Hatred towards New EngLand and all Yankees ~ caused first that original Generation to treat us with a counterfeit, affected Contempt that masked their Shame...and that it's been passed down from Generation to Generation to this very day, even though they don't even conceive it, much less suspect its Origin.

05 ~ I imagine that they simply tell themselves that they're better than us.

06 ~ But, Hell...They even named their BaseBall Team after us!! :eek:

07 ~ Yes, I believe that an unconscious shame-masking Hatred of us persists to this very day in Gotham: We stood up to the most powerful Nation in the world, and the KnickerBockers cowered in abject Fear. Such Legacies tend to have a far more powerful and lasting effect on a region's Psyche than is generally ascribed. And their Shame translates directly into Jealousy & Hatred of us for the Pride our ForeBearers won.

08 ~ And guess where the HeadQuarters of ABC, CBS, and NBC are?

09 ~ And guess where the HeadQuarters of the NFL are?

10 ~ The Oceans of Money that finance this League flow right through that fair City.

11 ~ Therefore: Contacts, Jobs, Connections, and Power also flow through that fair City.

12 ~ Human Nature is Human Nature. Over the course of History, Business ~ Negotiating Business ~ has always overflowed into Society. It's perfectly natural to want to get to know people you're considering spending Billions of Dollars with ~ to have Business Dinners, ****tails, Lunches, and so on.

13 ~ And in the course of getting to know these folks ~ especially if the Business at hand is FootBall ~ you're obviously going to discuss Likes & DisLikes. Rivalries. Who you love. Who you hate.

14 ~ If an high-ranking Media CEO, in charge of Billions of Dollars, is HeadQuartered in New York, living amongst New York Society, and going to countless New York Gatherings, chances are pretty damned good that he's either going to be from New York in the first place, or is going to become a very ardent New York Fan, aren't they? Especially if the guy who gave'm that gig in the first place is from New York himself. The end result, of course, is League Offices festooned with New York Fans who hate New EngLand.

15 ~ And it's only Human Nature to want the people who work for you to share Common Interests.

16 ~ You can Follow The Money from there, I'm sure: Al Michaels and a vast legion of Jamokes with microphones get their PayChecks from New York. As do the Referees. As does Roger Goodell.

Listen to those Vermin.

The Insinuations.

The sleazy, slimy Slander.

The poisonous Lies.

It's not Paranoia if it's True.

Last edited:
Ha! Now THAT's what I call an answer!

And I'm sure you'll agree that -- whatever the reasons -- we shouldn't accept the campaign of calumny against the Patriots that has taken place over the last few weeks from within the League offices and outside without response.

Draw your sword from its scabbard, Brother Grid!

And I'm sure you'll agree that -- whatever the reasons -- we shouldn't accept the campaign of calumny against the Patriots that has taken place over the last few weeks from within the League offices and outside without response.

As they might say in Parliament, hear hear!

OTG's post is one of the best explanations that I've ever seen for how we got to where we are today. My only question is why isn't Collinsworth on the same level as Michaels. They were both digging at the Pats in that game, Collinsworth must have referenced Hategate a dozen times at least, and a few times during the Pats best moments on offense. His message was clear.

Patriot Nation is ready to rumble.

Last edited:

Why would Brother Grid need a scabbard when the sword never leaves his hand?

Yeah -- makes me nervous sometimes, I'll admit ...

It did when an assassin was stalking Sir William while he hunted in the forest. Guy wasn't right... in the head.

It did when an assassin was stalking Sir William while he hunted in the forest. Guy wasn't right... in the head.
You might be right. I'll have to go back and look at the film.

Campaign of Calumny!! Nice!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

As they might say in Parliament, hear hear!

OTG's post is one of the best explanations that I've ever seen for how we got to where we are today. My only question is why isn't Collinsworth on the same level as Michaels. They were both digging at the Pats in that game, Collinsworth must have referenced Hategate a dozen times at least, and a few times during the Pats best moments on offense. His message was clear.

Patriot Nation is ready to rumble.

Was Collinsworth hating, too?? You're not the first one to point that out. Usually, I'm running my own mouth too loudly and relentlessly to hear everything the Announcers are saying.

I once considered Collinsworth an annoying little twerp, but I really enjoy the way he breaks down Plays. I did in fact notice an occasional bit of slimy Innuendo, though not as much as most of that lot.

But I most definitely could've missed more'f it while I was hollering!!

Thanks for your gracious words, Brother 60!!
beer.gif

Last edited:
Was Collinsworth hating, too?? You're not the first one to point that out. Usually, I'm running my own mouth too loudly and relentlessly to hear everything the Announcers are saying.
He seemed annoyed when anything went right for the pats. He was praising Seattle all night and as mentioned decided to bring up the deflate thing and the worst possible time - he should not have brought it up at all.

We were the bad guys in the brawl too etc etc

Chris being Chris basically. He has had games where he was great. This was not one of them

He seemed annoyed when anything went right for the pats. He was praising Seattle all night and as mentioned decided to bring up the deflate thing and the worst possible time - he should not have brought it up at all.

We were the bad guys in the brawl too etc etc

Chris being Chris basically. He has had games where he was great. This was not one of them

Right. I forgot about Collinsworth's preaching during the brawl. "Seattle - whatever" and "Pats - are about to win the SB and shouldn't be throwin a punch"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back