Welcome to PatsFans.com

Doom and Gloom

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Candidates (Except Romney) Gather In Iowa For Doomiest And Gloomiest Debate Of All | TPM2012

DES MOINES — The Republican candidates for president (with the exception for Mitt Romney who declined and Jon Huntsman who wasn’t invited) met at a large church here Saturday night for a debate aimed at Iowa’s social conservatives.

Family is “the bedrock of our society,” Santorum — a social conservative if ever there was one — said. Failure to protect “the institution of marriage,” he said, means “our country will fall.”

Bachmann spoke about tax rules that keep preachers from working for candidates from the pulpit. “Probably the greatest amount of censorship today is in the pulpits of our churches,” she said.

“The degree to which the left is prepared to impose intolerance and to drive out of existence traditional religion is a mortal threat to our civilization and deserves to be taken head on and described as what it is,” he (Gingrich) said, “which the use of government to repress the American people against their own values.”
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

Apparently the misunderstanding of what censorship is (and is not) extends beyond some posters on this board to potential presidential candidates.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Or perhaps she means that her ministers can't spew the bile they want because of pressure from civilization.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +116 / 7 / -10

Perhaps Bachmann should have spoken of the double standard when it comes to preachers and politics. Ministers in many churches pushed the Obama candidacy from the pulpit with no consequences and will do so next year.

Ministers cannot advocate for conservative candidates from the pulpit.
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

Any evidence of this supposed double standard?

Have any churches experienced any consequences of political activity?
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Are you serious? You really think that ministers in conservative churches have not been advocating from the pulpit? You don't think they talk about abortion, gay marriage, and taxes? You don't think they talk about 'happy holidays' and the cultural threat to Christianity? You don't think they talk about socialized medicine, and why they hate Obama? I'm sure in hundreds of conservative churches as in hundreds of liberal churches there were political messages ranging from the subtle to the blatant.

A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +116 / 7 / -10

Remind me of the last time a pub candidate was giving a speech from the pulpit of a church on Sunday, happens with dem candidates all the time. Double Standard.

If you have specifics of 'conservative' ministers pushing pubs from the pulpit I would love to see them. Because they should lose their Tax Exemption.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Where were you when we needed you?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Endorsing from the Pulpit | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +116 / 7 / -10

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Honestly, the law works well enough as is. Isn't telling parishioners that the issue of abortion should be a deciding factor in a democracy the same as endorsing someone outright? When I say the law works well enough as is means that the government can crack down if the abuses get outrageous and the political dialog itself is a form of punishment that regulates the abuse. I don't think some laws can be perfect because political language is so elusive.
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +116 / 7 / -10

Of course not. A minister's job is to inform the church members where the church stands on moral issues.

Is it wrong for churches to say that welfare should be supported as the Catholics do?

Guess it depends on whose ox is being gored.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

To a degree, it is wrong. And it's wrong for a church to say abortion should be opposed as the Southern Baptists do. But, you can't regulate language in that way. There are thousands of way to say things without saying them. That's why I think the law works well enough as is; because the wrong behavior is reasonably regulated by the political sphere, since it can't be regulated by the legal sphere. My view applies to both sides, PF. I made that clear in my previous post (or so I thought).