PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donte Whitner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so Michael Huff is out of our reach.

But, the more I read about Donte Whitner the more I see him as a small to mdium step down from Huff.

Worthly of the #21 pick? A few mocks and ratings think that he is in that area.

Any thoughts?

Funny thing, I was just going to post something on this subject as well.
I think he could really be a stud for the patriots. He is very solid in all aspects of the game and would be able to come in and play right away escpecially if Harrison is not ready.
I like your thinking

Here's a little snippet from ProFW's pay area :

“(Ohio State S) Donte Whitner is the last guy moving. His angles are bad. He can cover on the short end but not on the top end. He’s (Patriots 2005 fourth-round pick) James Sanders. He has no instincts. He is aggressive, tough, can close to the ball. He’ll hit you and support the run, but I didn’t like his key and diagnose. He’s not a half safety. You need some special goggles to evaluate if you think he’s a half safety. He’s choppy in his movement. He can run and he’s fearless, but he’s not Bob Sanders moving at the snap. And little safeties wear down.â€

I have no problem with a top Safety but this was a little disconcerting. It was from an anonymous scout, btw.

BelichickFan said:

“(Ohio State S) Donte Whitner is the last guy moving. His angles are bad. He can cover on the short end but not on the top end. He’s (Patriots 2005 fourth-round pick) James Sanders. He has no instincts. He is aggressive, tough, can close to the ball. He’ll hit you and support the run, but I didn’t like his key and diagnose. He’s not a half safety. You need some special goggles to evaluate if you think he’s a half safety. He’s choppy in his movement. He can run and he’s fearless, but he’s not Bob Sanders moving at the snap. And little safeties wear down.”

I have no problem with a top Safety but this was a little disconcerting. It was from an anonymous scout, btw.

Besides that , he's not bad.:singing:

I do remember reading that a while ago but can't remember where, I've read so much stuff,maybe too much. Where did that come from?

But, everything I've read lately points to this guy beinf a very good players. He has been shown a first rounder in many mocks and ranking.

Take a look at what Frank coyle said. It on the thread that I posted yesterday "another player listing" or some such garbage.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I do remember reading that a while ago but can't remember where, I've read so much stuff,maybe too much. Where did that come from?
It's from Pro Football Weekly's Inner Circle that we got the password from the draft magazine.

BelichickFan said:
It's from Pro Football Weekly's Inner Circle that we got the password from the draft magazine.

OK. That was a comment from a scout of a team. Certainly worth taking into consideration.

Suppose we do this whole topic again starring Jason Allen of Tennessee. Seems like an under-discussed prospect here...anybody have insights?

patchick said:
Suppose we do this whole topic again starring Jason Allen of Tennessee. Seems like an under-discussed prospect here...anybody have insights?

Prior to his hip injury he was discussed along side Huff as the top DB prospect. His combine workout proved he's recovered & is probably a mid to late 1st round selection.

patchick said:

I don't have info here at work. As I recall he has a medical situation and is considered a boom or bust guy. Some really like him like him and some don't.

I've never noticed him when I saw Tenn play or should I say he never did anything to make me notice him.

But, I'm not a pro so he could be avery good player.

bakes781 said:
His combine workout proved he's recovered
There's been a little step backwards from this with people wondering if he'll have a shorter career than normal due to possible arthritis or other long term complications. This may be scouts out-thinking themselves but I think he is trending down just a little.

BelichickFan said:

“(Ohio State S) Donte Whitner is the last guy moving. His angles are bad. He can cover on the short end but not on the top end. He’s (Patriots 2005 fourth-round pick) James Sanders. He has no instincts. He is aggressive, tough, can close to the ball. He’ll hit you and support the run, but I didn’t like his key and diagnose. He’s not a half safety. You need some special goggles to evaluate if you think he’s a half safety. He’s choppy in his movement. He can run and he’s fearless, but he’s not Bob Sanders moving at the snap. And little safeties wear down.â€

That was said by some team evaluator. As Noland said, could be true or it could be misinformation.

There is a lot of lying going on right now. Or, should I call it disinformation.

The one about Bobby Carpenter going on now could be the same.

For what it's worth, Whitner is rated #17 on Kipers big board and Allen is #24.

Might be just pre-draft noise, but I heard on one of those Rising/falling articles that he failed his pre draft physical for several teams. I'll look for the source but it is probably Yahoo, foxsports, cbssportsline, one of those...

Add from Pasquerelli "rumors" espn. com on Friday (though I know I saw it somewhere else in more detail 1st)...
Apr. 21> While there are still some franchises that have red-flagged Allen because of the hip injury that sidelined him for much of 2005, his ability to play cornerback and safety is keeping his stock in the second half of the first round, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.
No team seems quite certain what Allen's best position might be, but the teams that like him are excited about the flexibility he might provide them. Every team needs at least one safety with cornerback-type cover skills and Allen could be just such a player.

New England, which worked out Allen earlier this week, is intriguing because of the coverages it employs and its creative use of hybrid-type defensive backs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back