PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donte' Stallworth to Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing about stallworth is hed be a pure deep threat
he cant really do anything much else
although, he is great at that role
the thing is isnt that what we got chad jackson for?

Re: Donte' Stallworth to Pats?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the thing is isnt that what we got chad jackson f

good point. we need a bigger possession guy who can move the chains on 3rd down. bennett or welker would be perfect fits, or in the draft jarrett or bowe.

Re: Donte' Stallworth to Pats?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the thing is isnt that what we got chad jackson f

good point. we need a bigger possession guy who can move the chains on 3rd down. bennett or welker would be perfect fits, or in the draft jarrett or bowe.

Welker isn a possesion WR and incaseu didnt know..Gaffney/Caldwell/Brown are ALL possesion WRs

Welker isn a possesion WR and incaseu didnt know..Gaffney/Caldwell/Brown are ALL possesion WRs

Welker is definitely a possession receiver. He averaged 10 yards a catch this year and if you ask Dolphin fans they willl tell you he is NOT a big play receiver.

Welker is definitely a possession receiver. He averaged 10 yards a catch this year and if you ask Dolphin fans they willl tell you he is NOT a big play receiver.

hes not a big play WR yet but hes fast and quick enough to be.

10 average doesnt mean much..

in '03 Steve smith had 12.6 average..thats Caldwell average isnt it?

Possesion in my opinion are - bigger, slower WRs, who dont have very good speed and depend on smarts/physical ability to get past you(David Givens/Reggie Wayne)

speed WR - use speed to get open..has the speed to burn the defense(Steve Smith/Santana Moss)

I've been a fan since he came out of college. I was disappointed last year that we didn't sign him. Of course the knock on Stallworth is he's injury prone. As he can void his contract, I'm assuming he's going to the highest bidder. One can still dream.

welker is def a possession rec. 67 receptions for only 650 yards is the definition of a possession receiver. hes a guy that if you need 5 yards he'll get you 6, you need 12 he'll get you 13 yards.

I have never been high on Stallworth. Ever. Didnt like it last year probably wont like it this year but lets look at how he would be used in our system. He would no doubt have to be a #1 in our system.

Such as have 140 yard game one week and then the next week catch nothing and drop 4 balls. Thats what really turned off a lot of the coaches in New Orleans which then decided to trade him for so little.

That's typical of a deep threat WR. Donte is NOT a #1 WR.

Expect the same production as last year from him perhaps. 40 passes, 20 yards per catch.

He might have 1 catch one game and 5 in another, but defenses will NEVER take him for granted.

That's the difference maker the Patriots don't have right now and what they need. Others can fit that bill as well, but Stallworth would certainly serve just fine.

I been posting about the Pats getting Stallworth for over 2 weeks now, so wouldnt doubt it.

Nothing wrong with disagreement, lets call it "discussion".. I just look at it from a value perspective, Stallworth & Bennett are going to have a cap number of $4-6 M per year and likely expect a 4-5 year contract. A rookie WR may not produce in year 1 but will be under control for minimal money for the next 4-5 years. I would rather use the $3-4M saved on LBs or to sign Samuel than spend it on a WR.

Neither Bennett, Stallworth or Curtis are that exciting to me. I would be surprised if they would be considered top 20 WRs. Drafting a rookie is a crapshoot but they have been able to develop WRs in the past (Givens, Branch).

Tom Brady ain't getting any younger. Neither is Matt Light. Neither is Seymour. We are built to win now. Windows of opportunity is small in the NFL and the core of this team is win-ready now. Not in 4 yrs. Brady is peaking now - this is where his physical ability peaks. Sign a vet at wide out - win next year and the year after. You roll the dice in the draft and pan out with Bethel Johnson or PK Sam, we may not get that first down we so desperately need to kill the clock in the 07 AFC championship game. The salary cap is escalating every year - teams escape cap hell more easily now than before.

Also, Gaffney is not going to have 10 catches a game next year. He is good for the system. He played amazing in the post season and was probably our best receiver, if not the best post season receiver overall. But, look at his history - they call it an outlier and we need to scale back our expectation for him as a 3rd option probably keeping a fire lit under CJ *ss for snaps.

stallworth would finally give the pats that deep threat....if only he didnt have that hamstring problem

Former 1st round pick. http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=4472&hubname=nfl-eagles

NE has a tendency to go after wayward 1st & 2nd rounders: David Terrell, JJ Stokes, Antwain Smith, Duane Starks, Chad Scott, Tyrone Poole,Terrel Buckley, Ted Washington. Jabar Gaffney was a 33rd pick. Corey Dillon and Heath Evans high 2nd rounders. Fauria was a 2nd.

Last edited:
Tom Brady ain't getting any younger. Neither is Matt Light. Neither is Seymour. We are built to win now. Windows of opportunity is small in the NFL and the core of this team is win-ready now. Not in 4 yrs. Brady is peaking now - this is where his physical ability peaks. Sign a vet at wide out - win next year and the year after. You roll the dice in the draft and pan out with Bethel Johnson or PK Sam, we may not get that first down we so desperately need to kill the clock in the 07 AFC championship game. The salary cap is escalating every year - teams escape cap hell more easily now than before.

Also, Gaffney is not going to have 10 catches a game next year. He is good for the system. He played amazing in the post season and was probably our best receiver, if not the best post season receiver overall. But, look at his history - they call it an outlier and we need to scale back our expectation for him as a 3rd option probably keeping a fire lit under CJ *ss for snaps.

I used to feel the same way about the window of opportunity (WOO), you can add BB's name to the mix, he won't be here forever. The whole Branch thing has caused me to change my mind, if they were worried about the WOO they never would have given Branch any chance to leave, he was experienced, productive and ifs far and away better than any WRs in the 2007 FA market.

I am trying to think more in terms of what they will do, not what I want... I want an allstar at every position and consider their WRs among the worst in the NFL. In my opinion is that they won't go after a free agent receiver of any significance, right now I am guessing they draft a player on Day 1 and maybe add a lower level veteran if Brown retires.

Last edited:
I give Stallworth a pass. He wasn't a malcontent for a winner. Rather he wasn't happy playing for a perennial loser who's HC was Jim Clueless Haslett. As soon as he goes to a functioning franchise you don't hear a peep. It's called the Dillon effect.

FYI-Joe Horn had 1200+ yard seasons, with Aaron "puny" Brooks throwing him the ball and clueless Haslett coaching, that is. And Stallworth didn't.

Character issues or no-Donte just isn't GREAT. It was no surprise that Randy Mueller got fired after he made him their #1 pick in '02.

FYI-Joe Horn had 1200+ yard seasons, with Aaron "puny" Brooks throwing him the ball and clueless Haslett coaching, that is. And Stallworth didn't.

Character issues or no-Donte just isn't GREAT. It was no surprise that Randy Mueller got fired after he made him their #1 pick in '02.

Stallworth definitely an elite receiver. The thing is we don't need an elite receiver for our number one in this offense. When healthy I think Stallworth can be as good as Branch which is all we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back