PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dont'a Hightower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fabled "coverage" linebacker is almost as rare as the shutdown cornerback. No linebacker is going to be exceptionally great at coverage. Those that are often transition to Safety, or are converted Safetys themselves.

Mayo is easily the most athletic of the 3 linebackers, which makes his job a bit easier. He still isn't all that great in coverage, but then again, any linebacker in man coverage isn't going to be great.

Hightower and Spikes have shown to actually be pretty decent at coverage in zone, but you can't just say "our defense must play zone all the time." It's unrealistic.

Hightower was thrust into a new role for the first time in his career with the Patriots. He will improve. He has no choice. He was drafted in the 1st round and is projected to be a centerpiece of this defense.

I was as big a Hightower fan as any before this season. Unfortunately he has yet to make the leap i had hoped he would. He and Spikes out there together seem to create a liability for us against TE's and RB's that seems to be easily exploited.

If you see those two out on the field just throw your TE down the seam clear out the sideline with your WR and send the RB into the flat/Wheel route. I have seen it so many times by teams.

I was as big a Hightower fan as any before this season. Unfortunately he has yet to make the leap i had hoped he would. He and Spikes out there together seem to create a liability for us against TE's and RB's that seems to be easily exploited.

If you see those two out on the field just throw your TE down the seam clear out the sideline with your WR and send the RB into the flat/Wheel route. I have seen it so many times by teams.

What exactly were your expectations for Hightower? He is a solid player, and I'm as huge of an Alabama fan as you will find around these parts, but he doesn't seem to have the makings of an elite linebacker. That's not a crime on his part by any means. If every 1st round linebacker were a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher type, the Linebacker position wouldn't be on the outs in pro football.

Hightower is an exceptionally big Linebacker. You can even say he is a defensive lineman who is athletic enough to stand up and play in space, like Mathias Kiwanuka of the Giants. I think that Kiwanuka is actually a pretty good comparison for Hightower regarding the type of player he will be. I think that Hightower's ceiling is much higher than Kiwanuka's and can develop into a Pro Bowl player, but Kiwanuka provides the model: Solid against the run, good situational pass rusher.

If you were to compare Hightower to any current Patriot(s), I think you'd be spot on saying he is a Hybrid of Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes. Hightower has all of Mayo's intangibles and is a pretty decent athlete, and he is a big linebacker like Spikes and is solid against the run (though obviously not as dominant).

Hightower is a soldier. He is a prototypical Inside/Middle Linebacker who has played OLB since coming to New England. Hightower has said himself in interviews he wants to be an ILB/MLB, because he knows that's where he can thrive.

Sure, he may be called on to blitz every now and then, but he wasn't a dominant pass rusher at Alabama. If the Pats wanted that they should have grabbed Courtney Upshaw.

Hightower is the future ILB/MLB of this team along with Mayo. Spikes is probably on the way out, but people need to realize that Hightower is essentially playing an entirely new position with the absence of Mayo. Give him time.

He is not supposed to cover TE and RB, i blame more the coaching staff for putting him in that situation. Now another thing that disappointed me a lot was Collins, i saw his name in the starter list i got excited because he is the athletic type that could cover some but i guess he is too green to play.

He is not supposed to cover TE and RB, i blame more the coaching staff for putting him in that situation. Now another thing that disappointed me a lot was Collins, i saw his name in the starter list i got excited because he is the athletic type that could cover some but i guess he is too green to play.

He is an athletic, yet raw, rookie, who is playing an entirely new position. In college we has a Safety, 3-4 OLB, and 4-3 DE. He is being asked to play 4-3 OLB. Give him time.

The fabled "coverage" linebacker is almost as rare as the shutdown cornerback. No linebacker is going to be exceptionally great at coverage. Those that are often transition to Safety, or are converted Safetys themselves.

Mayo is easily the most athletic of the 3 linebackers, which makes his job a bit easier. He still isn't all that great in coverage, but then again, any linebacker in man coverage isn't going to be great.

Hightower and Spikes have shown to actually be pretty decent at coverage in zone, but you can't just say "our defense must play zone all the time." It's unrealistic.

Hightower was thrust into a new role for the first time in his career with the Patriots. He will improve. He has no choice. He was drafted in the 1st round and is projected to be a centerpiece of this defense.

Umm why is a LB who can cover so rare actually? I feel like there have been plenty of young guys recently who have come into the league and excelled in pass coverage. Obviously it will be hard to find guys who can do an adequate job if you only draft big thumpers at the position.

Hightower had a great blitz on the last play before the Folk 56 yard FG. Timed the snap perfectly and drive through Ferguson's block to take down Ivory for a 2 yard loss.

I just wanted to point out a positive play at one of the most crucial points of the game, because the guy is getting a lot of criticism for his performance. Was he bad in coverage? Yes. But let's not act like the guy sucks, please.

The Coverage LB is very real, especially the last couple drafts. Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Kiko Alonso, Alec Ogletree and Sio Moore are all very real people. For some reason or another they just don't fit our system. In fact, coverage LBs are more real than Strong Safeties that can cover at a high level if you take a look around the league.

I really like Hoghtower -- as a Mike or a Sam. I think he has pro bowl potential at both of those positions I also like Spikes as a Mike. Mayo is a Pro bowl mike and only an average Will, putting his play calling abilities aside of course. Let's hope Collins can be a top tier Will.

What exactly were your expectations for Hightower? He is a solid player, and I'm as huge of an Alabama fan as you will find around these parts, but he doesn't seem to have the makings of an elite linebacker. That's not a crime on his part by any means. If every 1st round linebacker were a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher type, the Linebacker position wouldn't be on the outs in pro football.

Hightower is an exceptionally big Linebacker. You can even say he is a defensive lineman who is athletic enough to stand up and play in space, like Mathias Kiwanuka of the Giants. I think that Kiwanuka is actually a pretty good comparison for Hightower regarding the type of player he will be. I think that Hightower's ceiling is much higher than Kiwanuka's and can develop into a Pro Bowl player, but Kiwanuka provides the model: Solid against the run, good situational pass rusher.

If you were to compare Hightower to any current Patriot(s), I think you'd be spot on saying he is a Hybrid of Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes. Hightower has all of Mayo's intangibles and is a pretty decent athlete, and he is a big linebacker like Spikes and is solid against the run (though obviously not as dominant).

Hightower is a soldier. He is a prototypical Inside/Middle Linebacker who has played OLB since coming to New England. Hightower has said himself in interviews he wants to be an ILB/MLB, because he knows that's where he can thrive.

Sure, he may be called on to blitz every now and then, but he wasn't a dominant pass rusher at Alabama. If the Pats wanted that they should have grabbed Courtney Upshaw.

Hightower is the future ILB/MLB of this team along with Mayo. Spikes is probably on the way out, but people need to realize that Hightower is essentially playing an entirely new position with the absence of Mayo. Give him time.

It's not Hightowers fault. It's probably that my expectations were too high. I thought he'd be the mix between Spikes and Mayo huge run stopper but with more athletisicm than Spikes not to be abused in coverage. Look if Tony Gonzalez is beating you no ones going to care but i thought he'd be able to carry Cumberland in coverage.

I have by no means given up on him, he's one of my fav defensive players. I was just hoping he'd be the jack of all trades and really take a step up into the upper eschalon of LB's (which is what i expect of a 1st round LB).

I had Hightower taking over from Spikes as well. But Spikes has been flat out dominant the past few weeks against the run. Hightower at least for the small sample size we have seen hasn't been where i would have liked him to be at this stage.

I'm sorry but yes he is. A LB in the NFL is going to be asked to cover a TE or RB. If you cant you won't last long.

If i see Spikes Mayo and Hightower. With a 2 TE set why wouldn't you have a Seam and a drag route with both TE's then get the Rb into the Flat. One of those will have to be market by Spikes or Hightower. If they can't or "arenlt supposed to" cover TE's and RB's then who is?

Too many slow linebackers. What happened to Fletcher? He was good at coverage. Ninko is probably better than Hightower at coverage, don't see how he couldn't be.

How about drafting a LB who can actually run.

Too many slow linebackers. What happened to Fletcher? He was good at coverage. Ninko is probably better than Hightower at coverage, don't see how he couldn't be.

That's like. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::D

Could always bring back Gary Guyton. Granted he can't tackle anybody, but he can get there fast.

Could always bring back Gary Guyton. Granted he can't tackle anybody, but he can get there fast.

His coverage was actually the worst. He had no burst and just sucked so bad. Words can't describe how much I hated that guy.

Agreed - that's the real problem, IMO. Longer-term, I think a linebacker grouping of Mayo, Hightower (at mike), and Collins would be ideal for Hightower. He's been playing out of position his entire time here, and to his credit he's been performing adequately in doing so. He's athletic enough to play some zone, but he's not someone that you want in man coverage, which is true about pretty much every mike in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back