PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Don't worry, we have Brady"

re: "Don't worry, we have Brady"

I totally disagree with this part. The Patriots 2001-2004 defenses were great at causing turnovers and were adept at it both in the regular and post seasons. The difference between those defenses and the current defense, especially in the post season, have more to do with turnover production than anything else.

The post-season is the big difference.

The 2001-2004 Pats had 141 regular-season takeaways, per Pro-Football-Reference.com. The 2009-2012 Pats had . . . 141 regular-season takeaways. :eek:

OTOH, in those same time spans, the 2001-2004 Pats had 25 takeaways in 9 playoff games. The 2009-2012 Pats . . . 5 takeaways in 7 playoff games.

2010: Brady finally made a mistake. He threw an interception on a screen after 400 mistake free attempts or what ever the record was. All year we got by because Brady was flawless and we got easy turnovers. Brady wasn't flawless and the offense was shut down because Welker and Branch could get open against Revis/Cro and the Jets loaded up the box. Granted our OL completely crapping themselves was relevant, but part of that was Welker/Branch not getting open and Brady having to hold on longer.

Honestly, this is a pretty poor assessment of both that game and that season.

They didn't "get by" they were blowing the doors off of teams - damn good teams who would later end up going deep into the playoffs. And it isn't as if turnovers were the only source of their stops. The held four of their final five opponents to a single score. And two of them went to championship games!

As for the loss, Brady held onto the ball longer not because people weren't getting open, it was because the Jets came in with a great game plan that confused him. They would play mind games, such as playing run defense with nickel and dime personnel on the field. They baited NE to run and then played run first even with the lighter guys.

In pass defense, they would appear to be playing a coverage where player B should be the preferred second read, but NY would expect that and take him away. This left player C open, of course, but Brady either wasn't expecting him to or didn't have time to get there. Guys were open. A lot. I know because I spent a lot of useless exasperated energy screaming at the TV. "Look at SO AND SO! He's uncovered!" It wasn't until reading up on the game afterwards that anything about NE's offensive performance made any sense.

Both of those were much bigger factors than a deficiency at WR was. Connolly getting his lunch handed to him by Shaun Ellis was as well. And even despite all of that, NE let NY off the hook by turning a 14-0 lead into a 3-0 without the Jets having to make a single play. Fix the two unforced errors (Brady's screen pass and Crumpler's drop) and who knows how the game unfolds from there?

What really confuses me, though, is if we all agree that WR was an important fix, why are you so upset about the team taking the necessary steps to do so?

People can obviously look at the coming season any way they want, and there is certainly more uncertainty going into this season than there has been in quite some time, but imo they are once again set up to be one of the best teams in football and the question will be how good they have become over the course of the season and how healthy they are when the play-off's roll around. there have been significant losses this offseason, starting with Welker and ending with Hernandez, I doubt Dennard is going anywhere at this point but that could also change. I expect Amendola to make up about 80% of what Welker gave them if he stays healthy, which is also the caveat that goes with every expectation related to any football team. I hated to see Welker go and still feel they should have matched Denver but it is what it is and now they simply have to rely on Amendola to get the job done. He's a really good player and could end up being Brady's most important receiver for the rest of his career. Woodhead was another loss but i really expect a breakout season from Vereen and believe he will give them much more than Woodhead did on the whole and will really help offset the losses of Welker, Woodhead, and Hernandez. In addition they also managed to keep Vollmer for another year and Ballard will now be available, which maintains the stability of a really good OL and provides the depth at TE to offset the loss of Hernadez and any time Gronk may miss early on. Their RB unit is the best they have had in years and Ridley is poised for another great season, which should lessen the reliance upon Brady and help keep their defense off the field. Offensively the wideouts are really the only big question mark imo, and if they can get decent production out of the rookies they should be fine. They may also be able to supplement that unit as the cuts start rolling in, although there probably won't be any big impact WR's to get their hands on.

The defense is going to be all about the development of their young players, and if they come along as expected their defense should be markedly improved over recent seasons. I am in the camp that they have the talent and experience now to take the next step and become one of the best defenses in the league but whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen. I like the Wilson signing and the fact that they kept Talib for at least one more year, and i like their overall talent on D across the board. I have high hopes for Hightower and Jones and still have my fingers crossed on I-Dowling.

ST's should be excellent, especially if Washington has a good season.

There are more questions than usual but overall I see them winning the division again and right around 11-5, and while they always rely on Brady heavily I do think that the other aspects of the team are actually stronger and they should be in good shape to compete for another Lombardi. we'll see?

The next biggest issue is turnovers. The past couple years our defense has looked better than it really has because it's been opportunistic and teams simply don't give away the ball like they do in the playoffs like they do in the regular season. Again, the 2009 Saints are the only team I can think of with a defense like that, that got away with it. And keep in mind they got to face two of the biggest playoff choke artists in league history to feed them interceptions.

Part of that is because teams play better in the playoffs and our defense simply isn't dominating. The other part is that our offense simply hasn't put the pressure on opposing offenses to score that it has in the regular season.

Yeah the lack of turnovers is a problem. When the offense struggles, you need the defense to help the offense out by giving them more opportunities for the ball (3 and outs) along with shorter fields (creating turnovers).

Brady will make the offense formidable, it likely won't be like the '07-'12 versions but still has a solid running game, OL, and one of the most dangerous recieving options in the league. It's got alot of question marks but not like he's surrounded by utter crap. At worst I see it finishing 10-15th in scoring, and I'm guessing higher if Gronk stays healthy and Amendola stays reasonably healthy.

Like I've said the defense is the key now, if they take the next step it not only makes up for the drop offensively but IMO that's what we need to hoist a lombardi again.

Brady is the GOAT. But there are limits to what even the GOAT can do.

Look again. Look closer this time...Brady is the guy WITH the goat.

tom-brady-goat.jpg

Seriously, though...the Patriots finally have a decent rushing attack. That should take some pressure off Brady...that along with an o-line that historically gives him all day to throw the ball. Give him time, and he'll find an open guy.

I don't see any reason why the Patriots won't win the division...the only reason why they MIGHT not is if Brady is lost for the season early on. Anyway, Belichick will put it together with the pieces the Patriots have.

"Don't worry, we have Brady." Truer words have never been spoken. For that reason, the Patriots will be contenders this year again. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Look again. Look closer this time...Brady is the guy WITH the goat.

tom-brady-goat.jpg

Look even closer...he got YOUR goat...about ten years ago!....:drum:

Unca Joker grinds Uncle Meat into hamburger helper....crowd goes wild...

Look even closer...he got YOUR goat...about ten years ago!....:drum:

Unca Joker grinds Uncle Meat into hamburger helper....crowd goes wild...

I saw that one coming a mile away. It's the obvious retort. You're right though, that's MY goat and I want it back.

fa370fcfc84d40cc5856788da82f14b5.jpg

Tim-Tebow-Florida-Gators-Loser-Crying-Scripture-Abuse-Bible-John-16-33-cry-baby-football-jesus-hates-the-gators-2-708277.jpg

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back