PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Don't worry, we have Brady"

I wouldn't blame Brady for the playoff losses. We lost the past 2 years because our top red zone target was injured and his go to man couldn't catch. Brady clearly was put in a fail situation the last 2 playoff losses. The SB in 11 is won if welker catches that pass. When we lost Brady had no one to rely to catch a pass. Watch those games. In 11 Hernandez wasn't good in the SB when it mattered.

re: "Don't worry, we have Brady"

I think people are a little bit over confident when it comes to Bradys ability to make everything work. Yes, he certainly is a massive benefit, but we've seen in the past what happens when we put it completely on his shoulders to win the game. We can't win that way. No QB in the history of the league could do that. In 2011 and 2010 he got WAY closer than I thought remotely possible, but he's aging and should be throwing less, not more.

People will point to 2006. We had one of the best defenses in the NFL year. I'm high on this years defense, but lets be honest. They are not going to be that good. That defense was stacked. Elite DL. Elite LB corps. Solid secondary. Along with loaded veteran savvy and experience.

People will try to pretend Dobson and Boyce will come in and light it up. They're rookies. We haven't had a successful rookie WR since Branch a decade ago. Why is it assumed that BOTH guys will come in and have a big time immediate impact? Both are good prospects who may or may not be ready this year.

People will point to Amendola. Um what? He's missed as many games as he has started in his career. That was with a lighter workload. Now he's going to significantly increase his workload to match Welker's and stay healthy the entire season? AND be as efficient? Sorry. I can't buy that.

The beginning of the season will be ugly; and everyone will bemoan the end of the world. Then around the midpoint the team will get on a roll and start winning some games. We will be seen as a contender. We will win a first round playoff game against an inferior team and then lose to a better team in the playoffs where we and the media will all point to the inferior wide receiver options and there not being enough talent there.

Brady is the GOAT. But there are limits to what even the GOAT can do.

As the roster is now, I don't think we can win the SB, unless a lot of guys really step up their game, especially at the safety, DE, and wr positions.

That being said, I think Brady alone is more than enough to win us the division and carry us to the second round.
So, will you two be back if this team wins the Super Bowl because of Tom Brady? :)

I wouldn't blame Brady for the playoff losses. We lost the past 2 years because our top red zone target was injured and his go to man couldn't catch. Brady clearly was put in a fail situation the last 2 playoff losses. The SB in 11 is won if welker catches that pass. When we lost Brady had no one to rely to catch a pass. Watch those games. In 11 Hernandez wasn't good in the SB when it mattered.

I don't blame Tom at all for the 2007 and 2009 losses. I think he played a poor game in 2010 and deserves some culpability in 2011 as well.

Last year, I felt it was the receiving corps that did him, but not for the same reason Tony does. Goes were plenty open, they just kept stepping on their units, like when Hernandez cut back in instead of just running OOB right before half-time, costing the team ~15 seconds and a timeout.

Brady had two bad plays, though, one when he missed Ahern on a wide open, perfectly executed pass to the flat and when he made the terrible decision to scramble after the afore mentioned Hernandez boner.

I don't blame Tom at all for the 2007 and 2009 losses. I think he played a poor game in 2010 and deserves some culpability in 2011 as well.

Last year, I felt it was the receiving corps that did him, but not for the same reason Tony does. Goes were plenty open, they just kept stepping on their units, like when Hernandez cut back in instead of just running OOB right before half-time, costing the team ~15 seconds and a timeout.

Brady had two bad plays, though, one when he missed Ahern on a wide open, perfectly executed pass to the flat and when he made the terrible decision to scramble after the afore mentioned Hernandez boner.

You can't blame Brady solely for any of those playoff losses. When is the last time a QB has truly dominated and taken over a Super Bowl, or even a conference championship game? These games are ALWAYS close, and Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees and the rest have needed effort from the rest of the team to win. The best QBs in the game play well but rarely transcendent in the ultimate or penultimate games, they usually need someone else to step up and contribute. Brady rarely has gotten that in the last 4 years.

I don't think Tom was responsible for those either. It's hard for Tom to throw and catch the ball. I would trust toms judgement in any game. Tom did enough in these past games and 07 to put the team in a position to win. But notice I said team. If they don't play as a team they will loose. Tom has kept us in games but its a team sport. He can only do so much.

You can't blame Brady solely for any of those playoff losses. When is the last time a QB has truly dominated and taken over a Super Bowl, or even a conference championship game? These games are ALWAYS close, and Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees and the rest have needed effort from the rest of the team to win. The best QBs in the game play well but rarely transcendent in the ultimate or penultimate games, they usually need someone else to step up and contribute. Brady rarely has gotten that in the last 4 years.

Can't argue with you, though I'm unsure why this was made in response to my post. Is this somehow supposed to disagree with my earlier post? Or to supplement it?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Can't argue with you, though I'm unsure why this was made in response to my post. Is this somehow supposed to disagree with my earlier post? Or to supplement it?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Ha, supplement... I guess it's rare these days for a post to be responded to without a rebuttal.

We have the top 3 if not the best QB in the league..he makes everyone and everything around him better...don't worry..we have brady

sounds like a reggae tune...Don't Worry..Be Brady//

tom-brady-stetson-ads.jpg

The OP is sick of hearing, "Don't worry, we have Brady." OK...

Don't worry, we have Belichick.

... no one is assuming that Amendola will replace Welker,

Nonsense. A lot of people have been saying just that.

What you have to look at is on paper, better defense, more experienced and versatile running backs, a very good offensive line, improved special teams and an infusion of youth and speed.

You have a point on the RBs, but how is the D better on paper? Because they drafted a couple of guys that could turn into very good players? Jones may come into his own this year? (none of these things are certain). The O-Line? Bascially the same as last year--no better no worse. And where you get the idea that special teams will be improved I have no idea.

Will they go all the way?? A lot of that has to do with how the chips fall in the season..

Mmm...so basically you're say that we're going to have to have a lot of luck. K.

The beginning of the season will be ugly; and everyone will bemoan the end of the world. Then around the midpoint the team will get on a roll and start winning some games. We will be seen as a contender. We will win a first round playoff game against an inferior team and then lose to a better team in the playoffs where we and the media will all point to the inferior wide receiver options and there not being enough talent there.

Brady is the GOAT. But there are limits to what even the GOAT can do.

As Mrs. Brady once famously said - Does my husband have to catch the ball too?
I share your concerns with the retooled offense. Mainly because nobody can seem to stay healthy at this point in time.

Our run game better be pretty darned dominant to compensate for the fact that we have no healthy 'good' tight ends left, AH cut, Gronk and Ballard to PUP. And our wide receivers have completely changed except for Edelman who is now on PUP.

Don't be a child. .

Pot - Kettle. Leave the childish insults at home - you can be better than that.

This teams obvious weakness is the WR position. I hope I'm wrong but we've seen this same story the past 4 years. 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Each year we lost in the playoffs because our WRs couldn't get consistent separation downfield.

I would dispute that heartily. The D was more to the heart of the problem in several of those PO games. They gave up long-extended clock-consuming drives to the NYG O in both SBs and they let the Ratbirds put up 28 on them.

The Off COULD have been IMPROVED w/ a better DEEP threat; but Getting Separation was NOT the issue. Forcing the opposing D to respect a deep threat and not play a S in the box to congest the middle was the problem; but again not the ONLY PROBLEM.

I would dispute that heartily. The D was more to the heart of the problem in several of those PO games. They gave up long-extended clock-consuming drives to the NYG O in both SBs and they let the Ratbirds put up 28 on them.

The Off COULD have been IMPROVED w/ a better DEEP threat; but Getting Separation was NOT the issue. Forcing the opposing D to respect a deep threat and not play a S in the box to congest the middle was the problem; but again not the ONLY PROBLEM.
We are in agreement. It's amusing when people put forward one reason for the Patriots failing in the playoffs whilst conveniently forgetting the other 3 or 4 accompanying reasons.

We are in agreement. It's amusing when people put forward one reason for the Patriots failing in the playoffs whilst conveniently forgetting the other 3 or 4 accompanying reasons.

Yup. I personally believe that Mayo was lousy in the SB, perhaps the worst defender on the field, with a play that literally made my jaw drop open in exasperation (I'm sure you know what it is).

But that might've been completely forgotten had Welker held onto the ball.

And that might not have been a problem if Brady hadn't under thrown Gronk so badly.

And those would perhaps fade if Nink hadn't jumped off sides.

.... or if the 12 man mistake hadn't overturned a huge fumble recovery...

or... or....

It takes a team to win a game.

Brady and the offense is not facing a schedule juggernaut of defenses this season. So I think even with a few hiccups they'll be fine.

The other side of the ball is a different story. The schedule is what I think might be the toughest offensive slate of opponents this D has faced in recent memory, especially on the road. The story of the 2013 season will be written on that side of the ball.

Considering the fact that the recent game against Baltimore saw the offense in the red zone six times........it's hard to understand why exactly the "deep threat" thingy seems to live on.

As for the 06 Pats defense, the numbers are impressive, but they did play 12 out of 16 games during the season against teams ranked in the bottom half of the league in scoring.....

Of course there is more than one issue. THe game isn't black and white. But the #1 biggest issue in all four games was lack of WR separation. This lead teams pack the middle of the field and stack the box. This stopped the run and limited our top 3 guys- Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski.

2009: Only had Moss. Our #2 option was Watson and #3 was Faulk. Brady threw 3 interceptions that day IIRC. This gave the Ravens short fields and momentum. Flacco was held to 23 yards or something ridiculous and the Ravens still won.

2010: Brady finally made a mistake. He threw an interception on a screen after 400 mistake free attempts or what ever the record was. All year we got by because Brady was flawless and we got easy turnovers. Brady wasn't flawless and the offense was shut down because Welker and Branch could get open against Revis/Cro and the Jets loaded up the box. Granted our OL completely crapping themselves was relevant, but part of that was Welker/Branch not getting open and Brady having to hold on longer.

2011: No "real" Gronkowski. The entire game the Giants had 8 guys in the box. Either they'd be there to stuff the run or immediately peel off into a zone. The last drive- the drive were Brady threw a "bad" pass to Branch was a result of Brady trying to slide it into a window. If he threw to were Branch was going it would have been an interception. This is just one example of the tough windows Brady was forced to try to fit it into the entire game.

2012: Ravens played a heavy nickle. I was convinced we were going to light the Ravens up if they kept Lewis on the field. Instead Lewis stuffed the run and we couldn't get anything in the middle. We had Lewis guarding Welker one play and we couldn't get the touchdown. That's because the safeties were cheating and Brady was forced to throw it into an impossibly tight window. Our OL played well, it's just our receivers couldn't get open deep to punish the Ravens for having their LBs cheat up to the line of scrimmage the entire game.

There are of course multiple things that went wrong in those games. Different things happen. But the biggest consistency is that our WRs were not able to make a play and get open. Teams loaded the box and the easy running lanes our rushing game got all year due to playing the nickel suddenly were no longer there.

The next biggest issue is turnovers. The past couple years our defense has looked better than it really has because it's been opportunistic and teams simply don't give away the ball like they do in the playoffs like they do in the regular season. Again, the 2009 Saints are the only team I can think of with a defense like that, that got away with it. And keep in mind they got to face two of the biggest playoff choke artists in league history to feed them interceptions.

Part of that is because teams play better in the playoffs and our defense simply isn't dominating. The other part is that our offense simply hasn't put the pressure on opposing offenses to score that it has in the regular season.

The next biggest issue is turnovers. The past couple years our defense has looked better than it really has because it's been opportunistic and teams simply don't give away the ball like they do in the playoffs like they do in the regular season. Again, the 2009 Saints are the only team I can think of with a defense like that, that got away with it. And keep in mind they got to face two of the biggest playoff choke artists in league history to feed them interceptions.

I totally disagree with this part. The Patriots 2001-2004 defenses were great at causing turnovers and were adept at it both in the regular and post seasons. The difference between those defenses and the current defense, especially in the post season, have more to do with turnover production than anything else.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back