PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't throw it to stonehands

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepatz11

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Anyone ever see that movie Necessary Roughness? Seriously is Ben Watson the real life version of the Stonehands character? I know that there are others who deserve more blame but for some reason I am so frustrated with Watson. If Watson makes a catch that I think is fair to say is a difficult catch but should be made by an NFL tight end who is supposed to be a receiving TE then the Pats probably score and are down 23-17 with ten or so minutes left. Instead he deflects it right to Polamalu and the game was effectively over. Has Ben Watson ever made a catch that is not right in his breadbasket?

Re: Don't Throw it to Stonehands!

If you are referring to the play where Cassel was intercepted after it hit Watson's hands, I think you are being a little unfair. It was a real tough catch, in the rain, where he had to jump just to touch the ball. I know all our fathers say that if the ball hits your hands you should catch it, but to a degree, I disagree with that. All this being said, I have been disappointed with him in terms of his career production.

Let's put it this way, I really hope they draft another TE in April of 09. Watson flat out bites..................

He reminds me of the infielder in baseball who always lets the baseball eat him up, he is the football version of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes he had to go up for it but he is an NFL tight end and it hit him right off both hands. I admit it was a tough catch. But a good receiving TE which is what he is supposed to be makes that catch.

If you are referring to the play where Cassel was intercepted after it hit Watson's hands, I think you are being a little unfair. It was a real tough catch, in the rain, where he had to jump just to touch the ball. I know all our fathers say that if the ball hits your hands you should catch it, but to a degree, I disagree with that. All this being said, I have been disappointed with him in terms of his career production.

Ben has had some huge plays for the Pats...especially in the playoffs:
1. The screen turned long TD run vs. Jacksonville
2. The Run down of Champ Bailey
3. I can't recall anymore

I am shocked he was able to play major D-1 ball with his annoying habit of catching balls with his body. Maybe he has stone hand because he rarely needs to use them. Where has David Thomas been, by the way?

I don't think Watson is living up to his potential however I think he really began to underperform once we lost Dan Graham. I wonder if perhaps that's why BB brought in Pollard during training camp thinking a veteran could motivate Watson and help him improve his game. We desperately need a reliable tight end. I'd like to keep Watson as the 2nd tight end b/c we really haven't seen much out of Dave Thomas to warrant keeping him over Watson.

By the way, the other night I saw former Patriots TE from last year Stephen Spach is a Cardinal. Not that he was any good, just saying...

Watson should have caught the ball, but it's not as if he was the only receiver who needed a hands transplant today.

the frustrating thing about watson is his speed. he runs down the intercepter nearly but he never goes down the seam on a go pattern. they don't utilize his speed on slants or go patterns to hit him in stride.

hasn't lived up to his potential.

his greatest plays are champ bailey and the jags playoff game

I thought you were going to talk about gaffney who has dropped about 5 balls in the last 2 games.

Watson should have caught the ball, but it's not as if he was the only receiver who needed a hands transplant today.

No one is talking about today, we are talking about Ben Watson over the last 2 seasons. Do you remember the back of the endzone bobble and drop of the Brady pass right in hands last season in Baltimore. The phantom fumble against the Jets, and many, many other drops and gaffs where he literally fights the football, he's doesn't have natural hands and it's really been showing. It's one thing if this guy could block, but we can't even rely on him to do that. Even when he does catch the football, the YAC in non-existent, nothing, nada...................He's actually a detriment in this offense, I really wish they would use Sam Aiken more in his place, as hard as it is to say that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes he had to go up for it but he is an NFL tight end and it hit him right off both hands. I admit it was a tough catch. But a good receiving TE which is what he is supposed to be makes that catch.

No TE in the entire league makes that catch.

That being said, Watson was a waste of a #1 draft pick. Solid guy, solid representative of the franchise. On the field, a big disappointment.

No one is talking about today, we are talking about Ben Watson over the last 2 seasons. Do you remember the back of the endzone bobble and drop of the Brady pass right in hands last season in Baltimore. The phantom fumble against the Jets, and many, many other drops and gaffs where he literally fights the football, he's doesn't natural hands and it's really been showing. It's one thing if this guy could block, but we can't even rely on him to do that.

we should see if he could play OLB

yes Gaffney is another Stonehands too hahahahhaahha i think he actually has more drops than BW

how can you say no TE in the NFL makes that catch it was a tough catch but it hit him off both his hands

how can you say no TE in the NFL makes that catch it was a tough catch but it hit him off both his hands

He was fully extended as the defender was right there and he had to contort his body to get anywhere near it.

It would have been a miracle catch. Ball bounced off his fingertips when he was fully extended.

Unless he had glue on his fingertips, it was an impossible catch to make.

Last edited:
It hit him off one hand and he was fully extended as the defender was right there and he had to contort his body to get anywhere near it.

It would have been a miracle catch.

Watson is a stiff, he's a detriment and is clearly a waste of a first round draft choice. No other way to put it.

Watson is very disapointing. He is starting to live up to his status as a WTF? pick in the '04 draft. Watson is a very smart guy with great athletic ability but he hasn't shown why the Pats reached for him in the first round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing