PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dont start the blame the refs game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
One bad call that was it, the other was inconclusive... the refs did not give Denver the ball 3 times inside the 20.... they gave em once.. that was it...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
One bad call that was it, the other was inconclusive... the refs did not give Denver the ball 3 times inside the 20.... they gave em once.. that was it...

That call was horrendous, and had a huge impact on the game, but we had every chance to overcome it. Refs hurt a lot, but we should have overcome it

That one call was really the only one that I feel was terrible. But it was terrible.

Yep, this is going to be an ugly tape to watch for our mistakes.

Question: Do we keep Watson?

TWO calls. Cost us ~ 17 points.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Yep, this is going to be an ugly tape to watch for our mistakes.

Question: Do we keep Watson?
That reminds me that I did want to mention him by name as a hustle type player and I can't think of any tight end in the league that could run down Champ Bailey.

KDPpatsfan said:
That reminds me that I did want to mention him by name as a hustle type player and I can't think of any tight end in the league that could run down Champ Bailey.
Yeh, he hustled, but that was just a lousy job of stripping the football out of bounds in the endzone. ;)

The lad needs lots of remedial tackling in the offseason. :D

What

Hey we beat ourselves no doubt-----------however don't discount the fact that the refs changed the game drastically!

-The PI call we all know was crap, and that completely gave them the momentum as well as a TD

-The non false start call on the Den FG. It barely clears at 50yards so if they call that den prob goes for it or punts (and the refs had no trouble calling false starts on the pats)

-The champ baily fumble. If you look at Bailey he falls out over the pylon with the ball being fumbled out of his right hand. The refs wimped out saying that they couldn't see the ball go over the goal line!

Now we gave the game away with all the mistakes: turnovers and missed plays were terrible------------but the refs changed the momentum of the game without a doubt. The pats kept playing which was great, however they kept playing and making mistakes. We lost and have no one to blame but ourselves, however don't discount the effect of the bad calls!

Well I look at it this way, if Faulk had not fumbled the ball, that TD never happens. If Brady does not throw a 100 yard INT return, there is no need to debate where the ball went out. Tonight, we beat ourselves just as much, if not MORE than Denver beat us. Personally, I thank the PI call was ludacrious, but that did not lose this game for us. It was 5 turnovers at very bad times, and wearing our defense out.

EZ76

This is too funny really. Two words for ya. TUCK.RULE.

Teams get breaks. Bad call? Maybe, maybe not, a lot of bumping into one another. But hardly as blatant and cheesy as the tuck rule which GOT you your first SB trip. So please.. spare the ref rule, it goes both ways

Great game tho.. you guys never quit, I was on the edge of my seat until quite late in the fourth.

BigEZPatsFan76 said:
Well I look at it this way, if Faulk had not fumbled the ball, that TD never happens. If Brady does not throw a 100 yard INT return, there is no need to debate where the ball went out. Tonight, we beat ourselves just as much, if not MORE than Denver beat us. Personally, I thank the PI call was ludacrious, but that did not lose this game for us. It was 5 turnovers at very bad times, and wearing our defense out.

EZ76

And if those plays had been called correctly, who knows what would have happened? It goes both ways. Was it all officiating? No. But officiating was the dominant factor in deciding the game, followed closely by turnovers. I don't mind the latter, but the former makes me ill. Get full time refs, establish some guidelines of accountability for them, and get some end zone and goal line cameras.

fleabit said:

Teams get breaks. Bad call? Maybe, maybe not, a lot of bumping into one another. But hardly as blatant and cheesy as the tuck rule which GOT you your first SB trip. So please.. spare the ref rule, it goes both ways

Great game tho.. you guys never quit, I was on the edge of my seat until quite late in the fourth.

I would consider the "TUCK RULE" poetic justice for the travesty done to us in the 1976 playoffs by Ben Dreith.

EZ76

That was according to the rule book and pay back for the screw job in Oakland back in the 70's.

The D held the exquisite Denver running game to 96 yards. The game was given away.

fleabit said:

Yes, a correct interpretation of the rule is what happened in the "tuck rule" game. In this game, the Broncos could run up the backs of the Pats receivers without a flag, but Samuel gets pushed off by Lelie and starts (barely) hand-fighting with him and it's pass interference. Hmm, those aren't at all similar. To reiterate, good officiating = interpreting the tuck rule correctly (even though the blow to the head by Woodson was ignored), bad officiating = phantom PI call that was borderline offensive pass interference.

Be that as it may, five turnovers is really what cost you the game, not a bad pass INT call, trust me. NO team can win a playoff game giving up 5 turnovers. None. A great credit to your team for even being in it late in the fourth, having given up all those turnovers. So well played. Please don't bring the "ref call" into it, it really had no bearing on the game as a whole. And yea.. they were bumping into each other, what can you do? Personally, I wish they would let the players play more. Too many players can wave their hand in a refs face and get an INT call, it's ridiculous. But eh.. had that not panned out, would have you still won? Hard to say. I think our D is wicked. I've thought so all year, and I think had that not been at the one.. we still would have been a nasty thorn in yer heal for the rest of the game.

We'll see ya next year tho.. well played game, lots of fun to play against a team that just won't give up.

Richter said:
And if those plays had been called correctly, who knows what would have happened? It goes both ways. Was it all officiating? No. But officiating was the dominant factor in deciding the game, followed closely by turnovers. I don't mind the latter, but the former makes me ill. Get full time refs, establish some guidelines of accountability for them, and get some end zone and goal line cameras.

Rich,

I don't disagree with what you are saying. All I am saying is, if we hold on to the ball and keep driving, those circumstances never come to existance.

EZ76

BigEZPatsFan76 said:
Rich,

I don't disagree with what you are saying. All I am saying is, if we hold on to the ball and keep driving, those circumstances never come to existance.

EZ76

I'd just rather know my team lost, rather than wonder what would have been had the officials not been atrocious, 5 turnovers or not.

... atrocious? It was one QUESTIONABLE call! It wasn't even cut and dry! I've seen PI calls for much less severe "interference." OMG.. yea.. that one call ruined your entire season.

What other calls were horrible? gee.. when your QB threw a bad ball and OUR player ran to the 1? You figured what.. it was your ball, because of your awesome geometry skills, you calculated from the camera angle that it actually went out *just* inside the goal-line?!

Please..

No offense, but I dog my own fans when the make the ref excuse. Refs make bad calls both ways typically, it's give and take. They RARELY actually determine the outcome of the game. There has only been a few time I felt they did. And one was with YOUR TEAM! That "tuck rule" was ridiculous, and you know it. You were given a gift. You have a lot of gall to call out another team after that golden apple was laid on yer platter.

Cripes.. be happy your team kicked azz to get this far, they are great. 3 Superbowls? Omg.. wah. You are awesome.. get over it. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back