PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't overlook the UDFA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Don't overlook the UDFA's.

Why is BB so bad at drafting in the third round?

Injuries have had a lot to do with it. Plus I think he's made somewhat fewer choices in the 3rd than in other rounds.

Re: Don't overlook the UDFA's.

2010 Patriots Undrafted Rookie Signings

Monday, April 26, 2010

Dane Fletcher, DE/OLB, Montana State (6-2/250)
Fletcher looks to be a 3-4 OLB with the Patriots, and is the Big Sky leader in sacks. Great pickup by the Patriots, and we think he'll make the opening-day roster.
Mere TC fodder. He's too small to help set any kind of edge; in fact, ESPN.com lists him at only 6'1-1/4, 237. Brandon Lang, Rahim Alem or esp. Lindsey Witten would've been much better signings. Witten really should've been drafted with one of the 7th-round comps.

Bryan Anderson, WR, CMU (6-5/215)
Anderson has 4.58 speed, which, combined with his impressive size is nothing to sneeze at. A good blocker as well, Anderson has a chance of making the roster.
Not bad, though better signings would've been Blair White, Scott long, Chris McGaha or Fresno State's Seji Ajirotutu. White also should've been drafted with one of the 7th-round comps.

Sergio Brown, S
, Notre Dame (6-1/204)
Safety with good athleticism and 4.45 speed. It is very crowded at safety, so he will have to try and make the practice squad.
Bill should've tried to sign Brown's teammate, S Kyle McCarthy instead. Other better possibilities would've been SSs Darian Stewart, Barry Church, Harry Coleman, Alabama's Justin Woodall or UMass' Jeromy Miles; and FS Brian Jackson & Jonathan Amaya.

Kyle Love, DL, Mississippi State (6-1/315)
Stout defender that looks to be a backup nose tackle. Another crowded position to try and earn a roster spot.
Never heard of him, and apparently neither has anybody else. Kade Weston should've been our UDFA DT.

Ross Ventrone, S, Villanova (5-8/190)
A legacy pickup, as Raymond was once a Patriot himself. Hard-worker that plays bigger than his size.
5'8"? Are you kidding me? He's not even big enough to be a CB here. He makes big brother Bubba look like Steve Atwater by comparison.

Pat Paschall, RB, North Dakota State (6-0/210)
Smart, instinctive runner that will have a heckuva time trying to unseat one of the Patriots veteran RB's. Ran a poor 4.69, but looks faster on tape.
YouTube - North Dakota State running back Pat Paschall
Pat Paschall, North Dakota State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Not bad, though better signings would've been Fresno State's Lonyae Miller or Uconn's Andre Dixon.

John Wise, OL, Illinois (6-5/275)(Wrestler, Tryout)
It worked with Stephen Neal, so Coach Belichick is going back to the well. Wise played DL for Western Illinois in the 2004-2005 season.
Maybe he should be tried at DE if he weighs only 275.

Terrence Johnson, CB, California PA (5-10/190)
One of the best UDFA CBs, Donovan Warren, signs with the effin Jesters. Why? Are they hustling more than Bill, Nick & Floyd are? If not Warren, then how about David Pender or Devin Ross, BOTH of whom signed with Philly? Not even Fresno State's AJ Jefferson signed here.
Jefferson, Lonyae Miller & Seji Ajirotutu: 3 Fresno State alums, 3 of the better UDFAs at their positions, and not one of them signs here. Pat Hill should have his Friend of Bill membership revoked. Some "pipeline" that was this year.

Buddy Farnham, WR, Brown (6-0/185)
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...farnham-andover-ma-after-minicamp-tryout.html

If Farnham can return punts, he has a chance to stick here. The only others about whom I can say that are Paschall & Anderson.

I tend to find this equation pretty simple and it cuts both ways.

Belichick has shown in the past he'll cut a mid round pick and keep an UDFA, which tends to bring out the best in everyone.

I'd love to see the kid from Brown show that he can become a special teams standout.

I seem to remember another WR from Brown who has had a decent career just in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes