PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't look now, but the Colts are the New New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only have the Colts turned into the Patriots but we've turned into the Colts, we look soft lately and make bonehead mistakes at crucial moments that we never used to make, Cassel is being crippled by drops, muffs and fumbles not to mention sloppy penalties.

Haha yeah, I hear ya. It would be interesting if they had it like the NBA, where the team with the better record gets HFA regardless of seeding.

The Colts have been winning games they have no business winning, similar to the SB champion Patriots teams. When you have a championship season, you need to catch some breaks. The Colts have caught plenty (while dealing with some injuries of their own, mind you) while the Patriots just can't catch a break. It's miraculous that we haven't heard of a Pats player being put on IR this week so far (knock on wood).

Except other than really the 2001 season there were few if any games the Pats won they had no business winning. Most good teams pull out one or two wins in a season that they probably could have lost barring one or two plays. I would say the Pats had two games in 2003 that were similiar to the Colts this year (where they were losing for most of the game and then pulled it out at the end). I would say Denver was that way and so was the Dolphins overtime win.

Even some of the games that came down to the wire, the Pats dominanted and then let the opponent get back into it (Indy where the Pats had a 31-10 lead early in the fourth to come down to a monster goalline stance and the Houston game where the Pats lead for most of the game and had 472 yards to 169 for the Texans). I see those games as very different to how the Colts are winning. The Colts are getting beaten by lesser opponents for 3 1/2 quarters, but sticking around and pulling out a handful of plays at the end. The Pats in 2003 would get up on teams and start to coast and let teams get back into games and then come through in the end. It is a very different way of winning closer games.

Not only have the Colts turned into the Patriots but we've turned into the Colts, we look soft lately and make bonehead mistakes at crucial moments that we never used to make, Cassel is being crippled by drops, muffs and fumbles not to mention sloppy penalties.

I would say that is a fairer comparison. I don't see the Colts as the tough and smart team (the Colts are highly penalized and have made their fair share of mental mistakes this year) the Pats were in the early decade. But I see the Pats as the soft team that can get manhandled by a tough team like Pittsburgh yesterday.

If anything we've proven we're the Anti-Colt by adapting pretty freakin well to losing as many key players as we have this year. Picture any other team,especially the Colts,losing their star QB,then add all the other key injuries onto that. That team would be grateful to be 7-5.

I don't understand how anyone can believe BIll Belichick hasn't had some effect on the league and schooled a few teams on how to approach their draft,their season,and their game-planning.More importantly I don't get how anyone can bury their heads in the sand and not acknowledge that the Colts among others,have tried to adopt BB/Pioli's approach and have succeeded to some degree. Not all have been successful at it but the Colts have been obvious imitators these last few years and it's made them better. I remember when all their marbles rested in the lap of one player and I remember when that philosophy worked in our favor everytime.

I don't agree. The Colts are still the Colts. From the Colts' and Miguel's salary cap pages, the Colts top 3 guys represent 42.1% of the cap (vs. 25% for NE), their top 6 take up 53.8% (vs. 34.6%), their top 10 take up 71% (vs. 42.4% for NE). The Colts have 18 guys with cap #s of $1M or higher, vs. 33 for NE.

I would say that is a fairer comparison. I don't see the Colts as the tough and smart team (the Colts are highly penalized and have made their fair share of mental mistakes this year) the Pats were in the early decade. But I see the Pats as the soft team that can get manhandled by a tough team like Pittsburgh yesterday.

we dont like to credit the colts much but they won somehow. thats all it matters. We also beat the tim couch led browns 9-6 during our SByrs. they do enough on defense to not allow big plays and play RZ D.
As far as the pats go, the 2007 edition really changed our identity both as an offense and as a fan. We now look towards bad weather as a sign of problems on offense . that says so much about the soft attitude.

I don't agree. The Colts are still the Colts. From the Colts' and Miguel's salary cap pages, the Colts top 3 guys represent 42.1% of the cap (vs. 25% for NE), their top 6 take up 53.8% (vs. 34.6%), their top 10 take up 71% (vs. 42.4% for NE). The Colts have 18 guys with cap #s of $1M or higher, vs. 33 for NE.

I have no idea about the cap.

"You better get ready for it. Manning v Manning Super Bowl. It's coming. The league wants it too so look for some calls to go Peyton's way in Pittsburgh in the AFCCG. You heard it hear first folks.

I think I am going to get sick..."

Hit the nail square on the head with that post; you know it, I know it, we all know it. Not to mention the Steelers have an awful habit of losing the AFCCG at home, just ask the Chargers and the Patriots (twice) and the Colts (almost; hail mary in the end zone ALMOST was caught).

Goober Jr vs Goober Jr II with Goober Senior shown in the stands 4,892 times during the game; it will be THE first Super Bowl I will take a pass on, I could give a sh!t less who wins or loses.........................

Except other than really the 2001 season there were few if any games the Pats won they had no business winning. Most good teams pull out one or two wins in a season that they probably could have lost barring one or two plays. I would say the Pats had two games in 2003 that were similiar to the Colts this year (where they were losing for most of the game and then pulled it out at the end). I would say Denver was that way and so was the Dolphins overtime win.

If you count the playoffs, there was the Oakland game (we were fortunate to have a referee that knew what the tuck rule was when most of us probably hadn't heard of it). During the season, I remember the game at Buffalo with the Patten fumble recovery:

Vinatieri boots Bills

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good and that certainly was the case on the Patriots game-winning scoring drive in overtime. On first-and-10 from the Patriots 46-yard line, quarterback Tom Brady, who struggled throughout, rolled to his right and connected with wideout David Patten on the sideline for 13 yards, but Patten fumbled when he was hammered on the play by Buffalo’s Keion Carpenter. Buffalo rookie cornerback Nate Clements scooped up the loose ball for what seemed like a critical turnover.

But the play was reviewed in two areas. First, referee Mike Carey checked the validity of the call on the field, which had it as a catch, fumble and Buffalo recovery. He ruled it was indeed a catch and a legitimate fumble, but then ruled that Patten’s legs were in contact with the ball while his head rested out of bounds. By rule, the ball is dead and out of bounds meaning the Patriots retained possession.

“I don’t know exactly what the ruling was,” Belichick said. “We were just focused on getting our plays in. We were ready to go either way, offense or defense.”

Antowain Smith vs. Bills One play later, however, running back Antowain Smith turned nothing into something when he ran left into a pile only to bounce it out and reverse field to the right where he took off for a 38-yard gain to the Bills 3. That run set up Adam Vinatieri for his fourth field goal, this one from 23 yards, as the Patriots escaped with a 12-9 win.

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment.

This comparison would be vindicated if it was Tom Brady not Matt Cassel and depth players leading the Patriots. Although I see merit in the post, you can't compare oranges and apples.

The Colts, if memory serves correct hadn't sustained an injury run like we have this season. Mind you I cant think of to many teams that would get to 7-5 alone after what the Patriots have gone through this season.

If it was a close to near on full strength team, then I would tend to agree with the argument, however as I see it, nothing could be further from the truth.

This comparison would be vindicated if it was Tom Brady not Matt Cassel and depth players leading the Patriots. Although I see merit in the post, you can't compare oranges and apples.

The Colts, if memory serves correct hadn't sustained an injury run like we have this season. Mind you I cant think of to many teams that would get to 7-5 alone after what the Patriots have gone through this season.

If it was a close to near on full strength team, then I would tend to agree with the argument, however as I see it, nothing could be further from the truth.

Colts players on IR

Coe, Michael
Dawson, Clifton
Graham, Nick
Hart, Mike
Jackson, Marlin
Rushing, T.J.
Santi, Tom

No one they've really missed, except maybe Jackson.

Colts players on IR

Coe, Michael
Dawson, Clifton
Graham, Nick
Hart, Mike
Jackson, Marlin
Rushing, T.J.
Santi, Tom

No one they've really missed, except maybe Jackson.

Jeff Saturday has missed 3 games and is likely to miss at least 2 more. Points generated by the Colts offense without Saturday: 13 in Week 1, 18 in Week 2, 3 in Week 13 (TD by defense).

They've been without reigning Defensive POY Bob Sanders for 8 games. They lost their best corner, Marlin Jackson, for the season to IR back in Week 8, and they also played without their second-best corner, Kelvin Hayden, for 6 games and got him back a week ago.

Now...

What would happen if the Colts lost their best passer (Peyton Manning), their best runner (Joseph Addai), their defensive leader (Bob Sanders), and their best pass rusher (Dwight Freeney)? They would be ****ed is what they would be!

The Patriots have all that and then-some, and an Adam Vinatieri field goal is the only thing separating them in the playoff standings. Think about that. The fact that our Patriots, as mediocre as they've looked, are still in the playoff hunt is amazing.

Last edited:
It dawned on me yesterday as I watched the Colts win another game they really "shouldn't have won" -- making something five for the season -- that what I was watching was old school New England Patriots football.

The team isn't amassing a ton of yards or points, but you know what? They score TDs in the red zone.

The team occasionally gives up yards and I doubt ranks highly in many defensive categories. But you know what? They have one of (if not THE) best red zone Ds in the league, rarely giving up TDs.

So as I watched that game thinking the Browns "should have won", I realized they had the ball inside the ten twice, maybe three times, and came away with FGs. And that's not luck. That's the Colts being a good team that knows how to win games.

And I couldn't help thinking it all looked a bit too familiar ...

PS
With much disgust, I'll be putting down some $$ on whatever the latest Colts Super Bowl odds are ...

"The team isn't amassing a ton of yards or points, but you know what? They score TDs in the red zone."

And ....ironically enough....the Pats are having a TON of difficulty overall scoring in the RED ZONE.......AND.......our POROUS DEFENSE has let a record number of scores happen IN THE RED ZONE.........what is it now?....34....or 35 straight? Pathetic.......

F' the colts!

Huh? Sorry I detest the Colts, but I can be objective, and I see a team winning the way the 03/04 Pats won games. And those were the teams that also won SBs. With the AFC wide open, the Colts get a home WC game, and then I think they can easily win two on the road, esp. if round 2 is @NYJ or @PIT. They are much better than either of those teams.

And it's not a matter of this month, it's the whole season. Even when they struggled early with injuries, they found ways to win.

I agree with you. One can over-analyze all they want but I give the Colts credit for winning gritty games - not pretty but Ws just the same.

Honestly, to me the Colts are Just Another Team now that they got the monkey off their back with a Super Bowl ring (it was just too fun torturing Colts Nation while they struggled to get over that hump, but now I could care less). I find those who feel a need to disparage Manning or Brady silly, as both are excellent franchise QBs.

But to your point - yes, I give them credit and as a football fan I appreciate tough fought victories.

Don't look now, but the Colts have won exactly one more game than the New England Patriots despite the greatest QB of all-time not playing.

Don't look back, as you will see the 13-3 Colts lose their final game at the RCA dome to Billy Volek and the Chargers.

They have been able to finish games which makes them a threat come playoff time.

We Have Become the 01-04 Colts

Terrific offensive talent and great offensive stats against non-elite teams, and in big games we shoot ourselves in the foot with fumbles, drops, interceptions, and poor tackling. Then we blame it on our defense and about missed execution. Overall both offensively and defensively there is much less deception and less of a chameleon-like ability to adapt based on the opponent and self-scouting/self-awareness; we now transparently and predictably run our plays, telegraphing what we are doing, and know that most of the time we're good enough to pull it off (except when it doesn't against good teams, at which time we are screwed).

We are no longer the tough fundamental team that always made the big play at the big moment, did not make the stupid error or drop, pounced on opponent's mistakes while minimizing our own, hit players in the mouth at the line from both offense and defense, laid low and showed just enough to win and nothing more, and single-mindedly focused on winning one game after one.

Re: We Have Become the 01-04 Colts

Did the 01-04 Colts lose their #1 quarterback for the season in the first game of the year?

Re: We Have Become the 01-04 Colts

It goes much farther than this season. The past few years it has been like this. The team is soft on both sides of the ball. Lots of errors now compared to the other team in big games which was not as much the case before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back