PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't forget about Q. Groves OLB (see video link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This isn't a highlight reel but listen to him talk abou 4-3 and 3-4 defenses and check out his mature demeanor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PNR2FaWC84&feature=related

Don't get so caught up on Gholston when this guy isn't a bum himself and would come a lot cheaper along with having 3-4 experience at that.

Last edited:
I think Groves really comes into play if we deal with Dallas and get two firsts.
He could slide to 22 and we can still get a couple of cb's with 1b and our second.
Didn't see him enough to make an opinion. A super pass-rusher behind A.Thomas and M.Vrabel would be just what the Dr. ordered. I thought our inability to get off of the field on 3rd down was our biggest weakness last year. Depth at the pass=rushing position would go a long way in helping that situation.

If we could land those Dallas picks, Groves and Talib/Cason would be my dream draft.

I go outside the box and say trade down get drc then trade back up to scoop up groves.

Too bad we are weeks and weeks away from draft day ugghhh. I still can't imagine one bit the Patriots picking at #7 even with Gholston on the board. There are just too many holes to fill.

Last edited:
Too bad we are weeks and weeks away from draft day ugghhh. I still can't imagine one bit the Patriots picking at #7 even with Gholston on the board. There are just too many holes to fill.

You speak of the Pats like they're the Dolphins. What's wrong with the four "first day" picks to fill the potential holes at starting cornerback, nickel, and two bodies at LB? If they trade for Sheppard or acquire another cornerback and sign Seau and/or another FA LB, all those holes seem a lot fewer, don't they?

Almost the entire roster is set, they have two positions of need, why would they feel obligated to trade down and get extra first day picks when they already have four, two of which being high in their respective rounds?

It's a point of view, of course, but according to NFLDC scouting, I'm not sure if he is a good candidate for the Pats.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/quentingroves.html

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism and agility...Very good timed speed and quickness...Explosive with a burst to close...Terrific range and does a nice job in pursuit...Good strength and decent power...Reliable tackler...Offers some versatility...Was real productive.

Weaknesses:
Extremely inconsistent and lacks a great motor...Undersized and doesn't have the ideal bulk that you look for..Isn't stout at the point...Marginal instincts, awareness and recognition...Limited pass rush repertoire...Too aggressive at times...Slow off the line...Has trouble shedding blocks...Poor technique..A questionable work ethic.

Last edited:
I go back and forth on a daily basis on whether to hope for Gholston at 7, or a trade down and Groves later on. Unfortunately, given my pedestrian college football knowledge, I don't know which to really root for :D So I come here for guidance, but even here it seems pretty split.

Last edited:
I go back and forth on a daily basis on whether to hope for Gholston at 7, or a trade down and Groves later on.

I don't. Groves did his thing in the SEC and if you watch the Ohio State LSU game, you see that Gholston got handled by a pretty average young OT from LSU.

Put yourself back at this year's Superbowl. 1:00 seconds left in the game, Vrabel/Thomas is gassed, who would have you wanted to bring off the bench at OLB to rush the passer, Gholston or Groves? Power or speed? I chose speed, because NFL OT's can handle power, but not all of them can handle speed.

I don't. Groves did his thing in the SEC and if you watch the Ohio State LSU game, you see that Gholston got handled by a pretty average young OT from LSU.

Put yourself back at this year's Superbowl. 1:00 seconds left in the game, Vrabel/Thomas is gassed, who would have you wanted to bring off the bench at OLB to rush the passer, Gholston or Groves? Power or speed? I chose speed, because NFL OT's can handle power, but not all of them can handle speed.

Speed kills for pass rushers vs. OT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back