PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't care what you say, the defense played very well yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many big plays, way too much yardage, and too many points. We changed the system though, and we can hope that things will improve. Maybe our CBs can play better technique so they are not toast at the LOS and actually play some man coverage. I think the DL will be more difficult to fix, however, as the new guys have apparently been asked mainly to do the thing they are supposed to be good at (rushing the passer), and it turns out they are pretty easy to block (Carter and Ellis are single teamed and still cannot get through). It does not seem reasonable to expect dramatic improvement here in one week.

The defense was lousy. It is lousy. But it did its job.

Don't expect the defense to pitch a shut-out. This defense is designed to simply force a couple of punts a game or getting a few turn-overs. That is it and that is all we should be looking for. Really.

We lost the game because of the offense. Their job is to score on all possessions and to not turn the ball over. This is 2005 all over again but with a much better offense.

Sorry for getting my expectations high about the defense. Good thing you're not a defensive coordinator, you wouldn't be employed for very long. According to your version of what the expectations of an offense should be then Buffalo's did their job.

Last edited:
I don't care what the total yards were. I watched the game and understand the ebb and flow of football. This game is about momentum, and the new NFL means lots of passing yards, almost regardless of your defense. Did anyone notice that the mighty Samuel/Asomugha/Rodgers-Cromartie trio allowed 4 TDs to Eli Manning yesterday?

The Bills came in to the game averaging nearly 40 points per game, playing at home in one of their biggest of the last decade. The Patriots were missing Pat Chung, Albert Haynesworth, Mike Wright, and Ras-I Dowling. You'd think the Bills would score 50 points, right?

They scored 27 points on offense. In addition, the Patriots forced two turnovers, and many believe it should have been three turnovers (PI call in the end zone.)

The Bills first touchdown drive was extended on a ludicrous late hit call on Dane Fletcher, who put his fingers on Fitz's shoulder pads.

The Bills third touchdown drive was a terrible PI call in the end zone; should have been an interception... instead, the Bills were handed 7 points.

The only drive the defense should be ashamed of is the last one. That is the sign of a weak team; they didn't even make them earn it. Devin McCourty should not be the guy getting burned in the most critical point in the game, nor should he have been dumb enough to tackle FJ on the one-yard line.

But one of the problems with four turnovers isn't just the lack of scoring; it's also the field position, and most importantly, time of possession problems that the defense must absorb. Few defenses would be able to play well late into the second half with that many turnovers from the offense.

I know what the season stats look like as well, but that doesn't tell the entire story either. The defense needs to improve a lot, but really, how many grind-it-out 13-10 games do the Patriots have compared to other teams? None. You can expect tons of yardage against us (as well as lots of turnovers) this year. Teams won't play for field position and field goals against Brady.

funny-pictures-cat-is-stupid.jpg

dude they played HORRIBLE typical Patriot Defense of last 3 years:mad:

Letting up 27 points is not good enough to win. This is especially true when you consider the game was tied with two minutes to go and the defense let the offense march 80 yards kill the entire clock and kick an easy field goal to win it.

They were the definition of fail. Brady has to be almost perfect for the team to win with the way the D is playing right now. They are atrocious and it has been the same for at least the third straight year. They haven't been able to stop the pass for at least three straight years.

What is the other side smoking? I want to give that bizzaro pill to my wife, maybe I'll get some tonight....

Honestly, I thought the secondary blew it which is not difficult to imagine given our safety situation.

Maybe not the defense as a whole (although pass rush could certainly use improvement), but the secondary was awful imo.

Didn't say only giving up 27 was good or even acceptable, just it was good enough to win against the Bills if the O didn't sh*t the bed.

Allowing 27 is good enough to win because the offense scored 31 but the offense **** the bed? Thats nuts.

even watching the replay of this "D" on NFL Network right now hurts ..:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye