PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't care what you say, the defense played very well yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care what the total yards were. I watched the game and understand the ebb and flow of football. This game is about momentum, and the new NFL means lots of passing yards, almost regardless of your defense. Did anyone notice that the mighty Samuel/Asomugha/Rodgers-Cromartie trio allowed 4 TDs to Eli Manning yesterday?

The Bills came in to the game averaging nearly 40 points per game, playing at home in one of their biggest games of the last decade. The Patriots were missing Pat Chung, Albert Haynesworth, Mike Wright, and Ras-I Dowling. You'd think the Bills would score 50 points, right?

They scored 27 points on offense. In addition, the Patriots forced two turnovers, and many believe it should have been three turnovers (PI call in the end zone.)

The Bills first touchdown drive was extended on a ludicrous late hit call on Dane Fletcher, who put his fingers on Fitz's shoulder pads.

The Bills third touchdown drive was a terrible PI call in the end zone; should have been an interception... instead, the Bills were handed 7 points.

The only drive the defense should be ashamed of is the last one. That is the sign of a weak team; they didn't even make them earn it. Devin McCourty should not be the guy getting burned in the most critical point in the game, nor should he have been dumb enough to tackle FJ on the one-yard line.

But one of the problems with four turnovers isn't just the lack of scoring; it's also the field position, and most importantly, time of possession problems that the defense must absorb. Few defenses would be able to play well late into the second half with that many turnovers from the offense.

I know what the season stats look like as well, but that doesn't tell the entire story either. The defense needs to improve a lot, but really, how many grind-it-out 13-10 games do the Patriots have compared to other teams? None. You can expect tons of yardage against us (as well as lots of turnovers) this year. Teams won't play for field position and field goals against Brady.

Last edited:
I will say the defense played better than what people are making it out to be, but they did not play very well yesterday.

The problem with this defense is consistency. At times, they can shutdown opposing offenses. At other times, they "can't stop a nosebleed".

Agreed. I do think our D will get there. Let's hope we get some people healthy next week.

I don't care what the total yards were. I watched the game and understand the ebb and flow of football. This game is about momentum, and the new NFL means lots of passing yards, almost regardless of your defense. Did anyone notice that the mighty Samuel/Asomugha/Rodgers-Cromartie trio allowed 4 TDs to Eli Manning yesterday?

The Bills came in to the game averaging nearly 40 points per game, playing at home in one of their biggest games of the last decade. The Patriots were missing Pat Chung, Albert Haynesworth, Mike Wright, and Ras-I Dowling. You'd think the Bills would score 50 points, right?

They scored 27 points on offense. In addition, the Patriots forced two turnovers, and many believe it should have been three turnovers (PI call in the end zone.)

The Bills first touchdown drive was extended on a ludicrous late hit call on Dane Fletcher, who put his fingers on Fitz's shoulder pads.

The Bills third touchdown drive was a terrible PI call in the end zone; should have been an interception... instead, the Bills were handed 7 points.

The only drive the defense should be ashamed of is the last one. That is the sign of a weak team; they didn't even make them earn it. Devin McCourty should not be the guy getting burned in the most critical point in the game, nor should he have been dumb enough to tackle FJ on the one-yard line.

But one of the problems with four turnovers isn't just the lack of scoring; it's also the field position, and most importantly, time of possession problems that the defense must absorb. Few defenses would be able to play well late into the second half with that many turnovers from the offense.

I know what the season stats look like as well, but that doesn't tell the entire story either. The defense needs to improve a lot, but really, how many grind-it-out 13-10 games do the Patriots have compared to other teams? None. You can expect tons of yardage against us (as well as lots of turnovers) this year. Teams won't play for field position and field goals against Brady.

It all makes sense now. I was on the wrong channel watching a CFL game and not the Patriots. I thought it was strange when the announcer kept saying, "There's another touchdown, Eh."

I will say the defense played better than what people are making it out to be, but they did not play very well yesterday.

The problem with this defense is consistency. At times, they can shutdown opposing offenses. At other times, they "can't stop a nosebleed".

This......... Perhaps because I was there, there were really ony a few points where I was like "Oh God, this defense sucks". For the most part, they did pretty well, except in the pass rush. Fitz had a ton of time all game, but still he was mostly contained except towards the end of the game. That's not up to the "played very well" level, but it is clearly better then most people think.

Jackson is probably one of the most underated backs in the NFL. He is explosive when he gets the ball, and was at times yesterday.

I came away much more disappointed in the offense and some of the bonehead mistakes they made. Brady & Co. made this weak defense look all world. They aren't.

Last edited:
You might get some posters who disagree with you. Actually, I'd have a hard time agreeing. Brady made 4 picks and the defense let Buffalo take the opportunity on 3 of them to score. They were woeful. They allowed a team to recover from a 21 point deficit to win the game. I think they can improve but they were terrible yesterday; avoiding game changing penalties is part of playing defense and is one part where we're usually pretty good but even that was a huge problem yesterday.

If you do not care what I say, why invite comments that you will not care about???

Poor way to start a discussion...

It all makes sense now. I was on the wrong channel watching a CFL game and not the Patriots. I thought it was strange when the announcer kept saying, "There's another touchdown, Eh."

Is it #31 or #3 or #1 or #13 ??????

Maybe there is a misplaced digit showing Pats Defense statistically ranked #31 out of #32 NFL teams after 3 games, regardless of the MIA's yesterday.:rolleyes:

The defense was terrible. Brady, despite four interceptions, ties the game up and the defense proceeds to let the Bills offense walk down the field.

The defense played very well yesterday? BWAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Honestly, I don't care how the Pats playing this year. Forget about the homefield and all that crap. Homefield advantage doesn't mean anything if you can't win in the playoffs, it's make you even more disappointed as a fan.

But what I really like to see them do is, just make it to the Wild Card and win ALL THE WAY to the end like Giants did in '07!!! If that happens, everything else won't matter at all.

If you do not care what I say, why invite comments that you will not care about???

Don't care what you say is a reaction to the already toxic sentiment on the boards about the defense.

The D was Not as bad as this board makes it out to be if a non football fan just learning about the game came here and read this board he would have thought that the pats are 0-3 and getting blown out of the water every game. You give ANY team 4 extra possetions and they will make some thing of it you could put a college team aganst a pro team if you gave the college team 4 extra times with the ball they will make it a close game period.

The D will get better cause all the teams in the NFL have weak D's right now beause of the lock out and the rules that favor the Offense.

But he does care. He cares more than you know.

A few bright spots for the defense were that they got off the field yesterday. Buffalo was 4 for 11 on third down - a vast improvement over the Chargers game and Buffalo was stoned on its lone 4th down attempt. This is good.

Buffalo deserves a huge amount of the credit. Down 21-0 to their nemesis and they ratcheted up their intensity even as the crowd quited down.

Most of my vitriole in this loss is aimed at the 4 interceptions and the play calling - particularly when the running game was effective, especially the end-arounds and the change of pace with Riddley. With that lead it made little sense to keep trying to use the short passing game as a running game replacement.

The mix of plays 45 pass - 26 run was what surprised me. In the pre-season the pass-run ratio was almost exactly one-to-one. When the Pats get a two TD lead they should lean on BJGE. Woodhead and the two rookies to keep the opposition honest and keep the clock moving.

I felt bad for the Pats defense in the 2nd half yesterday. They kept getting handed a roaring stadium and bad field position by the offense.

The Bills offense had 5 scoring drives. These drives started at their own 4, their own 10, their own 39, their own 5, and their own 20.

The defense played very well yesterday?

The mix of plays 45 pass - 26 run was what surprised me. In the pre-season the pass-run ratio was almost exactly one-to-one. When the Pats get a two TD lead they should lean on BJGE. Woodhead and the two rookies to keep the opposition honest and keep the clock moving.

Agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

Don't understand the need for this team to ratchet up the fantasy numbers when in control.
Get the RB's to pound the rock keep the opposing defense on the field and drive the win home.

If yesterdays defeat gives us any consolation its that surely. Airing it out like that is going to kill this team.

Ridley was doing very very well after being introduced. Also think this team is missing Crumplers blocking skills on the run and maybe is a reason why they aren't using it as well as they did (especially against Buffalo) last year.

Hopefully Alge is back soon.

Last edited:
Honestly, there is no shutdown defense in the league right now.

1. The Saints and Panthers (yeah, the Panthers, I said it) put up huge numbers on Greenbay's defense (both 400 yards +).
2. Jets got scrapped up bad by McFadden with their so called vaunted run defense. They never really allow more than 100 yards rushing.
3. Ravens got beat by the Titans.
4. Steelers could barely stop a Manning-less Colts team last night and allowed Curtis Painter to look decent. They also got shut out to the Ravens with Flacco.

There is not one defense that comes to mind that hasn't had a bad game yet. This could be due to the lockout and all but its the truth.

I can agree with Kid~Brady that there are no shut down defenses anymore because the game has changed. However this pats defense is not even serviceable at this point. QB's are lighting up the pats secondary and the guys up front can barely stop the run. So yeah I am not sure if this OP serious or not with this topic.

Last edited:
People keep saying there's no good NFL defenses...why does our main rival have a good defense, a defense that ended our season last year?

To say the defense played well enough to win is, well, at this point it's something a Patriot fan would say. Any football fan would say they should win if their QB throw for opver 300 yards, 4 TDS. It wasn't enough for the team this week, it barely is most weeks, and it wasn't enough this week.

Tedy Bruschi himself said on ESPN that the Patriots live and die with Brady. He even said they can't be that way, that other guys need to find ways to step up. Games like the one against Buffalo prove this. When Brady is off, we have noone who can step up and win us a game. IJS.
Does tha

I loved that last Bills series of the game with the game tied at 31-31 and how extremely tough the Pats D was in stopping the Bills cold in their tracks and sending the game into OT

.....Oh Wait :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots