Welcome to PatsFans.com

Don't bring your mom to a job interview...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

I read this CNN Money headline and just shook my head. Are today's parents that stupid, idiotic, childish, arrogant, and whatever else it takes to attend an interview with their child?

No doubt, they are the same people who started the "Every game ends in a tie" idiocy.

Don't bring your mom to a job interview

Don't bring your mom to a job interview - Fortune Management

"One parent buttonholed a hiring manager at the grocery store to ask him to hire her child. Others barge into job interviews, or call afterwards to find out why Junior didn't get the job or, if he did, to quibble over work schedules or pay.

And how should hiring managers respond when a helicopter parent swoops in and tries to be too "helpful"?

Resist the urge to snicker, sneer, or call security, says Hosking: "Politely say something like, 'It's great that you want to help, but we really need to deal with applicants directly."

Screw that...tell any parent that their kid might have been hired if they didn't get involved. Because job interviews aren't any of their business!!!

JEESH!
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -2

This trend had a clear start 20 years ago. From friends who became teachers and coaches, parents as of the early 90s were different from parents just a decade earlier. Far more intervention, questioning teachers and coaches who didn't cater to their kids, etc.

I wonder how many "kids" are embarrassed by it.

(You know, a savvy and mature kid could actually turn it into a positive in handling it well.)
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

Geat insight Chico! I agree completely. My sister is a 6th grade math teacher and I can not believe the stories she tells me of parents who try to blame her and never have their child or them take responsibility.

From A.D.D. to "special attention" issues as if teachers are responsible for far more than "TEACHING".

In my opinion, I'm extremely fortunate to have gotten the tough-love my parents gave me. My parents would NEVER question the teacher for my shortcomings.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

My parents rarely went to games and never went to a practice. I never saw a parent at practice except to fill in or help out the coach. They only had contact with the teacher when they were called (which was often for me) or when they had a scheduled meeting. Questioning a teacher or coach was culturally FORBIDDEN and everyone knew it. I graduated HS in early 80s,... can't remember the exact year...damn circumcision!
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

:yeahthat:

My Mom had enough to do without following me around to practices, and often couldn't make it to games. I never felt neglected because of it. I wasn't playing sports to perform for them, I wanted to play!