PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donnie Edwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jarret Johnson. Check.

Maybe this guy, Jarret Johnson will be the next Vrabel. He stepped in and played well for Ray Lewis last year, well enough that Baltimore gave him $1.5mil for one year in his restricted free agency deal. He's due to be an UFA this spring. He's big, 270, like we like them. If he's told he'd have a shot at starting somewhere, like here, he might feel it's time to move on. He'd cost barely a quarter of what Briggs or Thomas will get.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/teamRosterDetails.jsp?id=339

I looked at the player background stats that you provided. He does indeed seem to be a potential Vrabel.

He had phenomenal sacking record in college.
That is a fundamental prerequisite to an OLB for the Pats per Bill Belichick. Check.
He is credited with being a solid citizen. Check.
He is a hard worker. Check.
He has size. Check.
He has paid his dues learning the conversion from DE to OLB. Check.

The only thing unknown is his speed and lateral agility. But it can't be too bad as he has 61 tackles playing part time. How bad can it be? The sack numbers in college show technique and/or both technique and speed.

I'd DEFINITELY try and sign him.

Nce Find.

I was hoping for Seau and 1st and 2nd downs with Edwards coming in on 3rd downs...

It should be interesting, the Patriots require a lot from their ILBs. They need to be able to take on guards and also drop into coverage.

London-Fletcher has played in a 4-3 his whole career and has been protected by big tackles (Williams, Adams, etc.). He is also on the short side.. that being said the guy can play, I don't know about his ability in coverage but he should be able to be a very effective 2 down player.

Players to keep an eye on:
ILB
- Napoleon Harris from the Vikings, good size and speed. 6'3, 250 and runs a 4.6. He has not played up to his potential as a number 1 pick but is only 27 and would be real big improvement athetically speaking.
- London-Fletcher - see above
- Kawika Mitchell - I don't know as much about him, the games I have watched he has seemed average, not overly physical and nothing special about his game

OLBs
- TBC - interesting to see what happens here, as a backup / ST I think he is ok, not much upside. As a starter he is below average to average
- Antwan Peek and Jason Babin - both players were drafted to play 3-4 for Houston, and are not good fit for their new 4-3. Seems like the same type of player as TBC, maybe a little more upside. Babin is not a free agent but it would be shocking if he was made available or cut, maybe the Pats unload Hill for Babin, a change of senery may help these busts.
- Adalius Thomas (Balt) - too young (29) and too slow (4.65) to play for the Pats. Just kidding, he would be great but is going to be quite expensive. I don't see this happening.

Projected LBs for 2007
- changing of the guard to some degree, most starters remain in tact but backups are younger, faster and cheaper
- ILB - veteran brought in to start, player drafted in rounds 2-4 to play special teams and learn system, take over for Bruschi in 2008
- OLB - decision to be made about TBC, appears to be a strong DE class, would not be shocked to see a DE/OLB drafted on Day 1, maybe even round 1
- Special Teams - a lot of changes here, the younger guys have proven to be as capable as the vets, Izzo and Davis do not return... I should mention that this is biased, I have not been a fan of Izzo for the last couple of years, I think Alexander or Mays could assume his role with no drop-off.

The new unit is not as experienced but improves the overall speed and has a nice balance of youth and veterans.

ROLB - Colvin, draft rounds 1-3
RILB - Harris (FA signing from the Vikings), draft pick rounds 2-5
LILB - Bruschi, Alexander, Mays
LOLB - Vrabel, Woods

Potential picks at OLB - Moses (Georgia), Victor Abiamiri (ND), Woodley (Michigan), Moss (Florida), Spencer (Purdue), Timmons (Florida State)

Potential picks at ILB - DeOzzie (Brown), Waters (Clemson), Harris (Michigan), Siler (Florida), Posluszny (Penn State), Everett (Florida), Burgess (Michigan), Sartz (USC), Stewart (Nebraska)

Very Nice. I agree fletcher, Nap Harris, Jarret Johnson, Bubin and Peek are the kind of players that BB/SP seek out in FA and low level day 2 trades. Pick up three and find one or two guys who can help.

Your draft review includes at least one or maybe two of the Pats picks, I'll predict.

I haven't seen most of the college players but I think Burgess from Michigan might be a real find for the Pats system. At 6-3 245 he is a starting quality OLB who started out as a Safety and outgrew the position. the last big OLB that we had who could cover the pass was a fellow named... Phifer!!

The Pats needs though, are at ILB more so than OLB.:D

I was hoping for Seau and 1st and 2nd downs with Edwards coming in on 3rd downs...

It should be interesting, the Patriots require a lot from their ILBs. They need to be able to take on guards and also drop into coverage.

London-Fletcher has played in a 4-3 his whole career and has been protected by big tackles (Williams, Adams, etc.). He is also on the short side.. that being said the guy can play, I don't know about his ability in coverage but he should be able to be a very effective 2 down player.

Players to keep an eye on:
ILB
- Napolean Harris from the Vikings, good size and speed. 6'3, 250 and runs a 4.6. He has not played up to his potential as a number 1 pick but is only 27 and would be real big improvement athetically speaking.
- London-Fletcher - see above
- Kawika Mitchell - I don't know as much about him, the games I have watched he has seemed average, not overly physical and nothing special about his game

OLBs
- TBC - interesting to see what happens here, as a backup / ST I think he is ok, not much upside. As a starter he is below average to average
- Antwan Peek and Jason Babin - both players were drafted to play 3-4 for Houston, and are not good fit for their new 4-3. Seems like the same type of player as TBC, maybe a little more upside. Babin is not a free agent but it would be shocking if he was made available or cut, maybe the Pats unload Hill for Babin, a change of senery may help these busts.
- Adalius Thomas (Balt) - too young (29) and too slow (4.65) to play for the Pats. Just kidding, he would be great but is going to be quite expensive. I don't see this happening.

Projected LBs for 2007
- changing of the guard to some degree, most starters remain in tact but backups are younger, faster and cheaper
- ILB - veteran brought in to start, player drafted in rounds 2-4 to play special teams and learn system, take over for Bruschi in 2008
- OLB - decision to be made about TBC, appears to be a strong DE class, would not be shocked to see a DE/OLB drafted on Day 1, maybe even round 1
- Special Teams - a lot of changes here, the younger guys have proven to be as capable as the vets, Izzo and Davis do not return... I should mention that this is biased, I have not been a fan of Izzo for the last couple of years, I think Alexander or Mays could assume his role with no drop-off.

The new unit is not as experienced but improves the overall speed and has a nice balance of youth and veterans.

ROLB - Colvin, draft rounds 1-3
RILB - Harris (FA signing from the Vikings), draft pick rounds 2-5
LILB - Bruschi, Alexander, Mays
LOLB - Vrabel, Woods

Potential picks at OLB - Moses (Georgia), Victor Abiamiri (ND), Woodley (Michigan), Moss (Florida), Spencer (Purdue), Timmons (Florida State)

Potential picks at ILB - DeOzzie (Brown), Waters (Clemson), Harris (Michigan), Siler (Florida), Posluszny (Penn State), Everett (Florida), Burgess (Michigan), Sartz (USC), Stewart (Nebraska)

Tasty food for thought; I love reading posts like these.

You are esp. right-on with 2 points:
1) Izzo and Davis must not be on the 53 next season. Once again, I saw Izzo "setting the edge" on one of SD's TD runs. What a joke; no wonder Willie Mac was pissed at him last year vs. Denver.
2) TBC's position must be upgraded either by Vrabel or a vet FA. If TBC wants to re-sign for backup money, I have no problem with that.

I'll add one more: this here town ain't big enough for both Alexander and Mays. They are essentially the same player - they both lack the size/explosiveness for OLB, and neither one has shown the talent to be considered part of the ILB rotation. The scary thing is, there is no ILB rotation. Or OLB rotation.

In my psychodelic fantasy world, the Pats would sign 2 capable, experienced vets for both ILB and OLB positions, then draft both an ILB and OLB of the future, at least one of whom would be chosen on the first day. It is crucial that the 2007 draft more closely resemble the 2003 draft than the 2004 draft.

Lbs are needed, YES, but we also need a dominant SS for the future.?

Don't know much, but SS is a priority, really, what we have is good, but, not good enough.?

A real sleeper out of OR St would be Sabby Piscitelli.

Not being that knowledgeable I'll take my hits in stride.

Donnie Edwards= Plug & Play,..........heard of it, seen it.........pfffft!

BB likes intelligence and smarts over size and speed...just look at our corners and WR's
Donnald Hayes and Bethel Johnson weren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

Don't know much, but SS is a priority, really, what we have is good, but, not good enough.?

Yet ANOTHER Charger cast-off?! C'mon now...didn't we already get Jr. Seau, Rodney Harrison, Reche Caldwell, Tim Dwight (one season). How about using the draft to pick up some LBs?

I was screaming for this in August before they picked up Seau.

Yes, yes, yes. If there is ILB talent in the draft, I'd love to see the Pats pick two of their three high draft picks (both 1's or a 1 and a 2, with the other one being a Safety) for that position, let the two guys come in and build a rapport over the years. Meanwhile pick up Edwards and have him and Bruschi mentor these kids for a year or two, while moving Vrabel back out to OLB (sorry TBC, not impressed).

This draft an offseason should be great. With the big cap ceiling in 2007, If we keep our FA's (give Asante good money, franchise Graham or sensible money, keep TBC only for a decent rate), pick up Edwards while drafting two high pick ILB's and a Safety, then I love the future for this team.

Then BB can set his sights on the 3rd - 7th rounds and hopefully get a WR, etc. I would say ST depth, but with Mel Mitchell, Tebuckey Jones, Don Davis, etc. coming back from injuries, I'm not as worried there.

I agree on stacking the defense behind the front 3. Also I think they need to sign or draft a poor man's version of deion branch in the mold of troy brown. maybe bobby engram? probably won't happen. need a small quick guy tho.

I don't see them signing asante. I think he's walking and getting big cash from another team.

Also I think they need to sign or draft a poor man's version of deion branch in the mold of troy brown. maybe bobby engram? probably won't happen. need a small quick guy tho.

Wes Welker = FA

Johnnie Lee Higgins = draft

Wes Welker = FA

Johnnie Lee Higgins = draft

I'm pretty sure he's a restricted free agent, but he'd be good, plus you get a punt returner and if you wanted to put him as ick returner too.

Higgins looks to have the tools based on the short summary I read. I always like to see "productive".

I don't know what this has to do with Donnie Edwards or LBs but I will play... Higgins is a player to watch, I only saw one of his games but he was everything that was advertised, fast, quick, elusive both as WR and KR/PR.

Another name to through into the mix is Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson. He is another smaller WR, he looked stronger than Higgins, maybe not as fast. Again small sample, only watched him in the Music City bowl.

What the Pats might do is: first, see how the offseason rehabs of Rodney and Mel Mitchell progress. If they're on track towards 100% by TC, then that would give us 3 experienced SSs going forward. Probably a UDFA SS will be added post-draft.

Sanders' performance vs. Indy may go a long way in determining whether the FO expends draft picks/FAs in the SS position. I still wouldn't mind seeing a top 100/150 pick used on a big (6' 205) FS which could perhaps allow Wilson to return to CB, esp. if Asante leaves for greener pastures.

I don't know what this has to do with Donnie Edwards or LBs but I will play... Higgins is a player to watch, I only saw one of his games but he was everything that was advertised, fast, quick, elusive both as WR and KR/PR.

Another name to through into the mix is Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson. He is another smaller WR, he looked stronger than Higgins, maybe not as fast. Again small sample, only watched him in the Music City bowl.

we were talking using the two #1's on defense and using the 2nd rounder on a small quick productive recv'r in the mold of a troy brown or deion branch

I don't think you can sacrifice size at that position. Size matters less at WR. Those big guards swallow up inside linebackers.
I think you can sacrifice anything as long as teh player gets the job done.

That is the only question. Can he do the job (in our system, not the the Chargers'). If he can and you don't play him because he is too small, you are placing style ahead of production.

Anyway, Izzo plays ILB sometimes, and before he got hurt, so did Don Davis. I doubt either of them are bigger than Edwards.

I'm hoping for a couple LBs in the draft, but a vet or two would be great.

I agree on stacking the defense behind the front 3. Also I think they need to sign or draft a poor man's version of deion branch in the mold of troy brown. maybe bobby engram? probably won't happen. need a small quick guy tho.

I don't see them signing asante. I think he's walking and getting big cash from another team.

Who else will get the $30 million of cap room. Everybody else is signed but for TBC, Graham and him....

When the Pats signed Jabar Gaffney, they had him in a playoff against Kevin Johnson. But Kevin hadn't (yet??) recovered from the Achilles tendon injury that had him on the street.

Next season in TC, KJ can join TB, and the Gators, to form a very deep and talented WR corps with out any "SOOPERDOOPERSTARS" and headcases, at WR position completing the Offense.

Use the draft to rebuild the Defensive back seven, that they have already made substantial progress on. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes