PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donaldson: Pressing questions on the eve of Patriots Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone explain to me why he calls out the running game? other than the individual numbers because if you look at the team statistics we ran very well last year and we added Taylor to the group. Not really a pressing question to me.

can anyone explain to me why he calls out the running game? other than the individual numbers because if you look at the team statistics we ran very well last year and we added Taylor to the group. Not really a pressing question to me.

Yeah, I don't get that part either. It's the overall team statistics that count, not how many yards each RB cranked out. Besides, Coach has demonstrated that RB by committee is a wise move when injuries start to hit, and it's also nice to be able to change up the style versus different defensive schemes and teams.

respects,

While i agree ther is uncertainty, glass half full says great upside. Morris is dependable, Taylor, if he's still got juice and Maroney if he gets in a groove and stays healthy.

The 1,000 plus comment is stupid. They didn't get these backs plus Faulk to give one guy all the carries. The Pats set all time records with Hannah and a bunch of 500-700 yard guys. It's also the reason Taylor still has something left (I assume he does).

Last edited:
I never liked Donaldson, but i have to admit, he takes a tough look at all aspects of the team without seeming to have an agenda. You have to respect that IMO.

Pretty easy to say everybody looks wonderful.:D

Gives you something to argue against if you're a glass half full type.

This was just a bad job by Donaldson. It was lazy and somewhat smarmy. If some fan posted something like it here they'd be chastized. Clearly he gave this little thought. He used all the OBVIOUS questions, and instead of discecting them, he just threw out the most obvious hackneyed responses.

His editor told him he had to have a precamp summary and he probably threw this together in about an hour before hitting the links or bar, or whatever. His editor either doesn't follow football or did a piss poor job to let this poor effort slide by.

Last edited:
This was just a bad job by Donaldson. It was lazy and somewhat smarmy. If some fan posted something like it here they'd be chastized. Clearly he gave this little thought. He used all the OBVIOUS questions, and instead of discecting them, he just threw out the most obvious hackneyed responses.

His editor told him he had to have a precamp summary and he probably threw this together in about an hour before hitting the links or bar, or whatever. His editor either doesn't follow football or did a piss poor job to let this poor effort slide by.
I thought the same thing at first, but perhaps he may have decided (or was given the order) to post something aimed more at casual football fans (e.g., Red Sox fans looking for a diversion.) I do agree the questions he poses are rather generic and are something I would more likely expect to come from a national site or fan of another team rather than from a local reporter that follows the Pats.

Pats fans are curious about this year's running backs even though the team ranked so high in rushing yardage last year, so even though I am confident in how the group will perform I would still consider it a legitimate question. Maroney and Morris have had recent health and durability issues; deserved or not, Taylor's nickname is Fragile Fred; and all except Maroney and BJGE are at an age that is considered to be past the expiration date for those playing the position of running back.

While I would have preferred a much more in-depth article, it's nowhere near as bad as others I've seen over the last few years from some of the local media reporting on the Pats. At this time of year I don't expect much more; the in-depth stuff is being saved for the last couple of weeks before the season starts - or at least until after training camp begins.

I certainly have some questions about the rookies. It seems as if Belichick had a lot of draft picks and decided to take some chances, eerily similar to what Pete Carroll did, but I assume that BB will do a lot better with his gambles.

Here are two gambles:

Sea-bass can certain run block, but can he pass block? In the workout I saw, he looked as slow as water buffalo in a rice paddy. But who knows.

Will Brandon Tate screw-up? Didn't he already miss and offseason activity?

Can Chung cover at least the TE?

Always viewed Donaldson as a "lazy writer" who took a lot of shortcuts, this is no exception...

Morris averaged 4.66 ypc almost as good as Dillon's 4.77 that he crowed about. As a team last year,they averaged 4.4 ypc, tied for 7th best in the league and the team gained 142.4 ypg, 6th best in the league. If anything, wouldn't you rather have a running back by committee that isn't so reliant on one player that an injury could devastate???

Always viewed Donaldson as a "lazy writer" who took a lot of shortcuts, this is no exception...

Yup, almost all beat writers are. They never seem to watch film, but instead read press releases and write about non-on-the-field filler such as contract negotiations.

A few years ago a blogger wrote about the writers at Training Camp; none watched the practices, but instead hung out together shooting the breeze. Getting ready, no doubt, to write another scintillating contract article or other pablum. After reading such garbage, one feels like a one has just eat a fast food meal; no substance.

Morris averaged 4.66 ypc almost as good as Dillon's 4.77 that he crowed about. As a team last year,they averaged 4.4 ypc, tied for 7th best in the league and the team gained 142.4 ypg, 6th best in the league. If anything, wouldn't you rather have a running back by committee that isn't so reliant on one player that an injury could devastate???

As a former FB, I think YPC for a RB is very telling for first down runs. 2nd and a long 5 gives an offense an incredible amount offlexibility. On the other hand, 2nd and 8 gives the defense a good idea of what is coming.

My big question for the 2009 Pats is the secondary. If they are not improved, then we are in trouble. How many games before Springs breaks down? 6 maybe 8. Are our safeties (Sanders, Merriweather and Chung) capable of making big plays. Last year the answer was no.

what a stupid article. Hardly any teams have 1600 yard rushers anymore - to save wear and tear. The question is will we have 4 guys with 1900 yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down