PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donald Thomas Appreciation Thread: Another 100 Yard game Without Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was of the same identical opinion regarding those four.

If I recall correctly that was if not the consensus at least the majority opinion amongst Pats fans at that point in time.

I don't think it was consensus. there are several threads devoted to Donald Thomas in the preseason, and some posters even went so far to break down each and every play by Thomas in an entire preseason game.

Many of us have been aware of Thomas long before he came to the Patriots. Down at Miami, all the vets said he packed a huge punch, and despite being a low rounder, he won the starting job out of camp. Then new coaches came in, and he was injured 2 straight years in a row, didn't play at all. That's how he got cut.

How about mankins at FB? I wouldn't wanna be a LB.

Come on, now, Scar has nothing to do with how the line is performing--isn't that what the defenders of the secondary coaches say? It's all about the talent and the players, right?

Imagine how good Maroney woulded have looked with this o-line......................

Last edited:
Come on, now, Scar has nothing to do with how the line is performing--isn't that what the defenders of the secondary coaches say? It's all about the talent and the players, right?

Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

Burn%2Bher.jpg

I have been a fan of wendell since the 2010 season and thomas looked decent to me last year. I have been down on mankins for awhile now and games like this really makes me think it would be a good idea to trade him and save some money. Those savings could go to welker or some other free agent that wouldn't usually be in our price range.

The way Wendell and Thomas are playing, I guess we can cancel that open call to Waters.

Lets not forget Mr Vollmer who's a Beast of RT and is having a Pro Bowl year. Vollmer should be locked up for 5 more years...he's the best RT we have had for quite some time and he can also pay LT.

I have been a fan of wendell since the 2010 season and thomas looked decent to me last year. I have been down on mankins for awhile now and games like this really makes me think it would be a good idea to trade him and save some money. Those savings could go to welker or some other free agent that wouldn't usually be in our price range.

Need to be prudent here. We don't want to shave too much off the o-line. Keeping Brady upright and ensuring that the Pats have a solid running game needs to be the #1 priority.

Lets not forget Mr Vollmer who's a Beast of RT and is having a Pro Bowl year. Vollmer should be locked up for 5 more years...he's the best RT we have had for quite some time and he can also pay LT.

Both Solder and Seabass have gotten better and better every game they've played..

If the Pats think his body will hold up I'm all in on this.

Big Props to Daniel Thomas for filling in for Logan definitely....but I would rather CONGRATULATE the ENTIRE OL for their great play overall this season. This is a unit that had ALOT of question marks going into the season after not looking particularly sharp in the preseason. However, they have been AWESOME overall and have protected Brady beautifully overall....and have been able to plow open holes so the "Riddler" can do his magic!!! Great Play by the OL....hope they got one of the game balls this past Sunday!!!! GO PATS!!!

Pretty impressive. Almost as impressive as the dual 100 yarders in the Buffalo game without Mankins.

Also noticed TFB didn't seem all that pressured yesterday.

Good work.

Scar is really an amazing anomoly on the coaching staff.

I am always willing to be wrong; but willing to bet that other than Ernie Adams and BB; he is the only management/staff guy with the same exact job through (and actually pre-dating) the entire BB era.

BB likes to move his coaches around and round them out. Scar is the one constant.

That too speaks a lot to him.

He is definitely Pats HOF worthy IMMEDIATELY upon retirement (hopefully no time soon).

Big Props to Daniel Thomas for filling in for Logan definitely....but I would rather CONGRATULATE the ENTIRE OL for their great play overall this season. This is a unit that had ALOT of question marks going into the season after not looking particularly sharp in the preseason. However, they have been AWESOME overall and have protected Brady beautifully overall....and have been able to plow open holes so the "Riddler" can do his magic!!! Great Play by the OL....hope they got one of the game balls this past Sunday!!!! GO PATS!!!

Which furthers my feeling that Mankins' contract importance was far overblown last year.

I'm not denigrating an excellent LG who is probably the toughest hombre on earth, however, they don't fold like a deck of cards without him.

I do wonder once Mankins gets 100%, will BB consider sliding Thomas to RG and Connolly to C.

Wendell is decent but Connolly is a better C than a RG IMO.

I would absolutely support that. Connolly > Wendell and Thomas has done a very solid job playing LG. He should be able to transition to RG. Health willing, this would probably be the best O-Line that we could throw out there.

A lot of posters wanted to keep Koppen in favor of one of Thomas, Wendell or McDonald.

With Mankins out, would you rather have:

LG Connolly C Koppen RG Wendell

or

LG Thomas C Wendell RG Connolly

I would absolutely support that. Connolly > Wendell and Thomas has done a very solid job playing LG. He should be able to transition to RG. Health willing, this would probably be the best O-Line that we could throw out there.

Thomas started 12 games with Miami at RG, played the position in training camp with NE and filled in for Connolly in the starting lineup at RG vs Arizona.

I thought the Mankins -Connolly -Thomas lineup might be their best lineup when the season started but I don't see Wendell going to the bench at this point, he's been pretty solid.

dante and the OL deserve a lot of praise for the VAST improvement they made. it was looking like trouble in the preseason but when the regular season started, it seemed like they flipped the switch and have become a solid unit. the big test comes later in the year with the back-to-back games against hou and sf.

My guess is that Cannon and McDonald will soon emerge from Dante's Academy and take their place among the Pats OL elite.

I wonder if its fair to say that that Pats might have paid too much for Mankins, compared what they've gotten in value for him, since he signed his big contract.....on one of those perfect 20-20 scenario's. I wonder how many people would be calling to pay him as the top OG in the the league if you knew what you knew about Thomas, Cannon, and McDonald. Granted Mankins is better than those 3 guys, but the question is he THAT much better?

Mankins is an elite player and these guys we have right now in the middle are not. However it is a fair question to ask whether the 8.5 mill in cap space we spent on Mankins could be better spent on another area.

Logan Mankins contract details - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Scar has done an awesome job coaching up and developing Pats OL however it helps if he has talented players to coach up. I think that Vollmer is a priority signing for the Pats in the offseason.

So, you think that the players (and coaches) flipped a switch and played differently once the season began. Ya really think so?

The perceived trouble was in the eyes of the fans and posters.

dante and the OL deserve a lot of praise for the VAST improvement they made. it was looking like trouble in the preseason but when the regular season started, it seemed like they flipped the switch and have become a solid unit. the big test comes later in the year with the back-to-back games against hou and sf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down