Welcome to PatsFans.com

Donald Sterling banned from NBA for life, fined $2.5m

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PP2, Apr 29, 2014.

1. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +111 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

I have no doubt that there is conspiration to push him out. Sterling has a long history of discrimination and franchise mismanagement.

But insofar as the NBA is a private corporation, it can do pretty much what it wants, whether evidence was introduced legally or illegally. The first amendment cannot be invoked here.

I have mentioned the example of an employee being fired for a facebook posting. How often has that happened? Is it ethical or legal? No, but it does happen because the act of employment is a consensual agreement and in this regard, Sterling's participation in the NBA was contingent on his abiding by the NBA constitution, which presumably includes a personal code conduct which he clearly has violated.

So, IMO, the NBA and its owners do have ground to push him out.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

That part I wonder about. For me, it all comes back to this being a private conversation with someone he was in a personal relationship with, outside the workplace.

Here's a piece from CNN today summarizing the issue:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/opinion/randazza-sterling-privacy/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Since basketball games are public events, how can he banned from them for life? Does the NBA have the equivalent of a no-fly list? Who else is not allowed to attend?
  4. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

If the owner of say a McDonald's franchise professed something like this you better believe corporate headquarters would come down on him like a ton of bricks. He'd either be forced to sell or he'd have to start serving soft drinks in plain dixie cups.

Those are and should be Sterling's options. Either sell the team or have it removed from the NBA's schedule.
  5. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +111 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

It will be interesting to see how that part unfolds.

I do agree that it was unethical as far as how this whole thing unfolded. Wouldn't be surprised to see charges brought against his "girlfriend" but this probably will not survive past discovery when they attempt take her to trial as I suspect the prosecutors will not be able to conclusively prove that she committed the illegal act of recording and releasing the content of a private conversation. She probably covered her tracks well.

But as far as the NBA is concerned, they do have carte blanche to do what they want, irregardless of how the "evidence" was introduced.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

But would the franchisee be banned from ever visiting a McDonald's again?
  7. dales804

dales804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +170 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

They aren't public events. You have to buy a ticket to attend. I'm assuming he can be banned the same way fans can be banned from going to stadiums if they act out of line during the event. Were the fans that got into a fight at MetLife last year after the Pats/Jets game banned from going to the stadium again until the legal process plays out and they complete online courses? Yes.
  8. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +111 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

Well- just when we're trying to deal with racism on the corporate owner level, we also have to deal with it on the most basic meathead level. For those of you who follow hockey, the Bruins were dispatched in 2OT by Montreal, and the game-winning goal came from Sabban, who is black. You don't want to imagine the garbage that showed up on twitter afterwards. :rolleyes:
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Those fans violated rules inside the stadium. Sterling violated undocumented rules while having a private conversation in his home. Not sure I see the comparison here. I get that establishments can have people removed for bad behavior (I know what a bouncer does), what I am not clear on is how banning people from venues that are open to the public based on outside behavior (I assume that a billionaire can afford a ticket) works in practice.
  10. dales804

dales804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +170 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

From everything I've read, he violated the NBA constitution. Adam Silver said he wouldn't get into the specific violation but said, “that we have the authority to act as I’ve recommended.” Basically, Sterling violated something in there and it's grounds for all the discipline imposed on him. And the NBA didn't record him, they listened to the tapes like the rest of the public did and acted on that. No law was broken by the tapes becoming public.