Welcome to PatsFans.com

Donald Sterling banned from NBA for life, fined $2.5m

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PP2, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,646 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

And compounding the problem is the fact that level-headed folks taking a dispassionate view of these circumstances are condemned as well.

2. PP2

PP2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +589 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

The point is that they are not taking legal action against Sterling, only voting him out on the basis of something that he agreed to, as an owner, namely the personal conduct code. On this basis, alone, I do not think he has grounds to bring legal action against the league, however illegal the method by which the damning evidence was introduced. The world is not a courtroom after all.

Any legal action he would bring, IMO, would be denied on the basis that he agreed to the very protocol that is being used to evict him.

3. Silver Blue&Red

Silver Blue&Red In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Absolutely, but he was coerced into it. Entrapment if you will. Just maybe, his mixed race "girlfriend" set this up on behalf of black players who are biased against a "jewish" owner. It's a stretch, but just as plausible as these accusations. Fortunately for me, I don't have to answer to anybody about how I think. BTW, I'm not a racist, but if I chose to dislike somebody, I'm free to do so. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like me. And guess what, who gives a rats @55.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PP2

Ratings:
    +589 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

Still doesn't make what he did right.

Yes, there will always be racism as long as there is fear. And yes, smart racists will always conceal their actions, but that shouldn't stop it from being dealt with, promptly, every time it rears its ugly head.

5. PP2

Ratings:
    +589 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

One has to wonder about the timing- Adam Silver has only been commissioner for what, less than two months? Sterling was good friends with Stern and I have a feeling if this happened under Stern's watch, it would have been swept under the rug.

Setup or no, it does look like the new regime was in a hurry to get rid of Sterling.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,646 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

The world is a potential courtroom whenever lawyers are involved, and Sterling is a lawyer with millions at his disposal. Assuming the NBA has a personal conduct code pertaining to owners, we don't know its provisions. It wouldn't surprise me to see him put up a fight just to make a stink, then walk away.

7. pdangle

pdangle On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -1

Do you have a link? Has this been confirmed? :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. PP2

Ratings:
    +589 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

He should not be made to sell his team based on what he said in privacy. I'm sure we've all said something in privacy that the world would frown on from time to time. Does that mean we should all lose our jobs and businesses because of it? Further, the tape is ILLEGAL. The girlfriend, under a court of law, should be brought up on charges for it because I highly doubt Sterling gave her his permission to tape that. Sterling is guilty of being a racist and an *******. That alone is not enough to take his business. If it was, a good percentage of the population would probably deserve to lose their jobs. The NBA proving that he discrimated against one of his employees based on skin color would be. That scenario is an example of where I would be fine with the league taking his team from him. But if they did it because of THIS? That would be utterly ridiculous. They need to give this time before they deal out any other punishment. Let the facts develop and let the utter emotion settle down so the people that would be making this vote can do so on logic and not emotion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +148 / 2 / -3

Since the initial conversation came out there's been more public attention for a litany of suits he's had for pretty disgusting discrimination in housing and the like. There's plenty of juicy summaries out there.

This guy is the type of pure black hating racist you don't see that much in a position of such power any more (especially in a sport dominated by black athletes) so a tough response from the league should not be a surprise

Of course I'm wondering if the shoe is going to drop on the NAACP for twice giving this guy lifetime achievement awards given his ample donations to the NAACP - given that a simple Sterling $100 background check would reveal all his lawsuits (or a simple Lexis/Nexis search)

Can the NAACP be bought off that easily? That doesn't make the Lifetime Achievement award seem like quite the same honor now

12. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,646 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

I have a hard time understanding why a man like this would own an NBA team. Pretty twisted stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FirstAndGoal

FirstAndGoal Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +119 / 3 / -4

the issue of illegal recording is one for the person who recorded it. The fact that the league used it, once it was made public does not have any legal grounds. They have every right to use that information to impose their decision based on their by-laws. Also, being baited isn't a reason to feel sorry for this guy. You can't hook a fish unless it wants to take the bait. I guarantee you couldn't bait me to say what he said. It's not part of my thought process. I have no sympathy for that attitude.

14. FirstAndGoal

FirstAndGoal Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +119 / 3 / -4

Simple, it's plantation owner mentality. Black people are useful to him as a means to prosper and to entertain him. They are not to be put on equal footing. It's not like plantation owners had slaves because they wanted to hang out with them.

15. wrangler

wrangler Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Sorry folks but welcome to the past. This isn't about race. Think the thirties, Europe. Sorry if I'm being offensive. Stop the PC crap and think. (waiting to be dumped on or band as I should be for not being
    a PC person.)

16. PP2

Ratings:
    +589 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

If you want to pass judgment on Halbritter, that's your prerogative.

The point of my posting that link is to show how this is now affecting the other major sports, especially the NFL.

Which is why I posted about this in the first place, but it lasted around 30 seconds in the main forum. Someone must be scared of a little race talk. I think it's healthy to discuss it.

17. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,646 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

Too late. Sterling has been declared evil and guilty in the Court of Public Opinion, and Silver swiftly set his lynching in motion to satisfy the bloodlust.

What bugs me, among other things (including Sterling himself), are people like Magic Johnson, Steven A. Smith and Kareen Jabbar expressing how "thrilled" they are by Silver's action. This isn't something to be "thrilled" about. "Relieved," perhaps. It's sad and pathetic on multiple levels.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

I doubt this moves the needle even a quarter of an inch for Snyder. And I hope you don't think I'm unfairly passing judgment on Halbritter. If you do, read what he's been doing to his own people while he prospers.

19. PP2

Ratings:
    +589 / 5 / -4

#12 Jersey

I've read a little about Halbritter, but to get into discussion about that would detract from this thread. I surmised that this scandal would affect the four sports and it did.

I'm just interested in the legal and moral repercussions from banning someone from an organization for life based on a private conversation that was never intended to be public. The question here is was it ethical to do that?

I don't think it's a matter of first amendment rights because that only protects one from governmental interference, not private interference, and especially not "employer" interference, since the act of "employment" is a consensual agreement in that when you become an "employee" you agree to abide by a certain set of rules, and in this case, it's the NBA constitution.

I think it's pretty much the same thing as if a company were to fire one of its employees because of something found on that employee's facebook page, even if it were set to private.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +2,467 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

I said at the outset that it was fine to ban him (which is an equal measure to firing). But to take his business and sell it out from under him is not. If that happens, it's really about the NBA profit sharing where owners that were not happy with him before now have a "reason" to boot him out under the guise of him hurting the product. In no way is it ethical or logical to take his business and force him to sell it for a privately recorded conversation that may very well have been done illegally.

• Like Like x 1