Welcome to PatsFans.com

Donald Sterling banned from NBA for life, fined $2.5m

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PP2, Apr 29, 2014.

1. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

Really? That fast? Come on.
  3. dales804

dales804 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 6 / -2

Disable Jersey

It's the right move. I didn't think Silver would be this harsh but I'm glad he was. He is very confident he'll get 3/4 votes from the owners to remove him, too.

I'm glad for the players and fans that they can somewhat move forward now and concentrate on what should be an enjoyable time for the franchise. If I was a fan and could go to the games, I wouldn't. I would not give a cent to Sterling.
  4. aztecafut

aztecafut Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok so what did Donald Sterling say or do to get banned for life? I clicked on the link but it didn't say anything about it there.
  5. varjao

varjao Rookie

Ratings:
    +249 / 34 / -19

#3 Jersey

In this last weekend another unfortunate event related to racism took place in the Spanish Soccer League, I took this note from a blog:

"FC Barcelona player Daniel Alves was about to perform a corner kick during an April 27 match against Villarreal when a spectator threw a banana at him – a racial taunt often leveled at players of African descent.

Alves could have ignored the slight. But in a stroke of “**** you” brilliance, he instead picked up the fruit, peeled it and ate it."

The answer could not be better.

[​IMG]

6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Banned from the league is an appropriate response. Not sure forcibly removing him and taking his business is an appropriate response, though. The guy said some dumb, braindead, and idiotic things. But he said them in privacy while being ILLEGALLY recorded. He should not be made to lose his business (the team). If that happens, trust that it's not about this situation. The owners will just say it is out of convenience. What it will really be about is NBA revenue sharing and his team being as useless as tits on a bull and doing nothing to contribute toward that for the longest time until the Clippers actually became relevant.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +734 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Sterling obviously has some major screws loose. HOWEVER: his transgression became public in the form of a surreptitiously recorded and shared PRIVATE phone conversation with someone he was in a PERSONAL relationship with. HOW does this merit a lifetime ban and fine of millions? I'm not defending the man's apparently racist attitudes, but this punishment arguably is out of context and out of proportion to what happened.

He said some outrageously hateful things to his girlfriend. Apparently that's enough to make him a permanent pariah in the eyes of American society.
  8. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

He was recorded illegally in a private conversation with his girlfriend asking her not to publically broadcast that she associates with black people after she took a picture with Magic Johnson on Instagram. It's literally been all over the news.
  9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +389 / 5 / -5

I don't know what the right punishment here is, TBH.

That said, Kontra: if they strip him of ownership, it's not solely because of past revenue sharing issues; it'll also be about the future. If he refuses to sell the team, now that it's finally earned some respect, it's going to go right back to joke status.
  10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +734 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

What the NBA/commissioner did, pure and simple, was sacrifice Sterling on the altar of public sentiment.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

Maybe if you had said something like "at least the Patriots didn't lose a draft pick" the thread wouldn't have been moved.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. dales804

dales804 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 6 / -2

Disable Jersey

As an owner, Sterling is a representative of the NBA. With what he did that has now been made public, I don't have a problem with Silver asking the Board of Governors to vote on his removal. If he remains the owner of the Clippers I can imagine nobody will want to coach or play for the team until he's gone. That franchise would once again be a black hole like it was for a long time and it would be a black eye on the NBA until he is gone.
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

I could see being banned from the league. They had to do something in that event and they can do it since he was "doing damage to the league image". But he should not be forced to vacate HIS business because of an illegal recording of a personal conversation. That's absolutely ridiculous. And it would absolutely be about revenue sharing. Some owners have been busting their asses on their teams while he's gotten to sit back, do nothing, regularly field a crap team, and still earn. That's rubbed owners the wrong way for a long time and they now have a "reason" to try to take his team, and his business, from him. If they do the right thing and let him stay put, he'll probably either lose it or sell it anyway. His sponsors are dropping like flies and public opinion would just get more and more harsh.

Absolutely. This is 100% about pure, unfiltered emotion as most topics about race tend to be.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dales804

dales804 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 6 / -2

Disable Jersey

Also, didn't Sterling know he was being recorded? Wasn't his girlfriend recording everything of his life for some archival project?
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Well, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed to begin with, so that might be a possibility. :)
  16. vyrago

vyrago Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -0

Where have you been????
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

I imagine that the lawyers for the NBA have already entertained this notion and wonder if the act of voting Sterling out will not give him grounds to seek legal action because the owners can vote someone out under the personal conduct code.

That being said, I can't imagine that the sole purpose of voting him out would be a private conversation, since that may open the gate for legal action. It'll be interesting to see if other things emerge. He certainly does have a long history of being a bigot.
  18. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +734 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

But they can't vote him out on vaguely unspecified grounds of his "long history," can they? I'm no lawyer, but I'd think it has to be a specific and egregious act. This was a private chat between Sterling and his girlfriend that was violated at least ethically, if not legally, in being made public. Complicating this further is the fact that he was supposed to be receiving a freaking lifetime achievement award by the NAACP!

Yes, you'd have to imagine that the league's owners thoroughly reviewed the situation before giving Silver the nod to drop the hammer. But, Sterling might have enough of a case to push back hard if he wants to.
  19. Silver Blue&Red

Silver Blue&Red Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

The guy said some bad things. But this whole politically correct society we live in is getting so out of control. The guy is guilty of being an idiot. There are people of all races that don't care for another. You are never going to change that. Now, if it's put on tape, it suddenly changes that? The smart racists, and there are a lot, are clever enough to not put it in the public eye. We live in a world of fakes. And unfortunately biased ones. And the dumb ones are punished too severely IMO. Sterling was baited and coerced . Gold digging, witch hunt. The guy is ,without a doubt, a racist. But, this smells of a setup, and people are buying it hook, line and sinker. This crud only stirs further racial tensions, in my opinion. I don't care what happens to Sterling, but these witch hunts over a few words spoken in private are so out of control.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. dales804

dales804 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 6 / -2

Disable Jersey

Sterling is a now confirmed racist. The players in the NBA are 75% black. They won't play for his team if he remains owner. There were already discussions about players boycotting games if Silver didn't take what they thought was appropriate action. Sterling has to go.