PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don sweeney new bruins GM.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?

If Sweeney truly wants to try to fix the cap mess the Chiapet left him, then he must move at least 2 of Chara, Seidenburg, Lucic, Krecji, Kelly & Smith.

lets give him a chance and see what he does. i want this team back in contention more then ever since the patriots will contunue to get porked every time the league has a chance.

Last edited:
Signing the LH C/F Kemppainen hopefully makes it easier to move Kelly on July 1st, either via trade or buyout, so that the re-making of the 4th line would be complete.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?

If Sweeney truly wants to try to fix the cap mess the Chiapet left him, then he must move at least 2 of Chara, Seidenburg, Lucic, Krecji, Kelly & Smith.

Consider that teams will come looking for Chara as the playoffs near. Sweeney should make them pay through the nose! Let's face it, big Z will increase their chances dramatically. Now, what's that worth to ya? Oh, don't have enough. Pass. Next.

Ditto for Seidenberg, but maybe not as much. We'll see.

Lucic is gone.

Kelly...give Edmonton a call.

Smith...was very disappointing last year...like he had a major injury or something.

Sweeney possesses education and experience as a Bruin; was probably the best man for the job. Unfortunately, the draft came quickly and his intentions were corrected. (We saw a similar situation with the Celtics.) Hey, sometimes you can make the big deals, and sometimes you cannot. Unfortunately, Calgary did. Regardless, another top-10 picks leaves after a few years.

Personally, I'd like to see a better system of developing these prospects on the Boston Bruins; moving playing time to them, as opposed to journeyman who come and go. Of course, I'd also like to see better picks and judgement in this area with a strategy to actually develop/build around potential top-10 picks.

In retrospect, the time for Chia to move towards another Stanley Cup came and went. It was actually the next 2 years, afterward- not using that group (after setting them up with expensive contracts) for 5-10 more years. Obviously, that is not going to work, nor did it. Of course, it keeps the seats filled.

Unfortunately, Don Sweeney inherited this mess. And that's what it is- a mess! OK, enough of the blame game; not productive.

In my opinion, the best possible solution for the B's is to use PLAYING TIME as an asset. Focus on developing 3-6 of these guys coming up; rolling with them good or bad. Develop 3 or more this year; 3 or more next. And development is more than 8-9 games. The attitude that states that unless someone scores every night they are not worthy of playing time is not becoming of a team hopes to be successful in this venture. Last year, Seth Griffith was playing really well, then he disappeared. What's up with that? You don't think the kid would have put 15 or so in during a full year? Now, compare that to Smith, who seems to be complacent as he's been unproductive. And look at all the money you'd save! Gee, maybe you've now got enough to make that other move you really need to make?

Lastly, the team character assessment and development needs to improve. This past team sat back than almost any B's team I have watched. This is not acceptable, nor is it entertaining. They guys that don't appreciate their situation (money, team position) must go- they're unprofessional. See ya. Bye. You're not missed. Go somewhere else and (just) get paid.

On the coach...I like him. However, I believe that players must be able to play an open game well before adapting to a strict defensive scheme. After a while, they get stuck in the latter and almost forget how to score. Consider a hybrid system. Open it up, then make em thread it in their defensive end. What would happen if the B's put out new lines and just opened it up; allow the players more offensive freedoms? And they will also lose a lot. However, they will become better offensive players, as well. Now, aim this all towards a system where Claude's defensive system is more apparent...even fully implemented when necessary. IMO, Claude's system works, but over time it does not; produces players that are timid in the offensive zone. So, modify it!

Followup....as Sweeney made some big moves; added more size scoring. In addition, he's the first GM to finally do something about the Savard "tax" on their payroll; turned it into a top-6 left wing (Beleskey). In addition Reilly Smith was sent o FLA for Jimmy Haynes. This was a great trade for the B's. The former Boston College player from MA can't wait to play for the team team. FYI: He's young; has size (6' 6") and some experience. Personally, I remember wishing that the B's could acquire a big forward like him when they played FLA. SUmmary: Smith (and his overpaid contract) gone; Savard's albatross gone; Beleskey to BOS; Haynes to BOS. Great moves Donny!

FYI: Marchand was quoted in the Herald today (7/2/15) on the Hamilton situation. Note: he was not denigrating any of it. He menyioned that:
“I never thought that he didn’t want to be here but after I saw the articles about what the team offered him and what they signed him for, they’re pretty similar offers.”

It's becoming increasingly clear that Hamilton wanted out. Perhaps, he wanted to be on a younger team (similar to Seguin)? If that is true, Sweeney should not be held accountable, aside from leveraging more for the deal. Beyond that, he's made some big/good moves; many had to be made.

5 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and 3 more coming next year. ... So 8 picks in the first 2 rounds should more than undo the damages that were born of bad drafting during the Charelli years. 9 picks if Kuraly is included and he should be.

Charelli lived the fruits of Mike O'Connell's drafting and it went down during his tenure. I think Sweeney will do a great job as he was a player - a Bruin - and he brings Ivy League intelligence to the job ... I kind of saw some Belichick in him so far ... bet he has some ... every GM should have some Belichick in them drafting for risk and reward and layering the talent. Charelli was okay ... just okay and that's not good enough.

Followup....as Sweeney made some big moves; added more size scoring. In addition, he's the first GM to finally do something about the Savard "tax" on their payroll; turned it into a top-6 left wing (Beleskey). In addition Reilly Smith was sent o FLA for Jimmy Haynes. This was a great trade for the B's. The former Boston College player from MA can't wait to play for the team team. FYI: He's young; has size (6' 6") and some experience. Personally, I remember wishing that the B's could acquire a big forward like him when they played FLA. SUmmary: Smith (and his overpaid contract) gone; Savard's albatross gone; Beleskey to BOS; Haynes to BOS. Great moves Donny!

FYI: Marchand was quoted in the Herald today (7/2/15) on the Hamilton situation. Note: he was not denigrating any of it. He menyioned that:
“I never thought that he didn’t want to be here but after I saw the articles about what the team offered him and what they signed him for, they’re pretty similar offers.”

It's becoming increasingly clear that Hamilton wanted out. Perhaps, he wanted to be on a younger team (similar to Seguin)? If that is true, Sweeney should not be held accountable, aside from leveraging more for the deal. Beyond that, he's made some big/good moves; many had to be made.
Hamilton wanted out because the Clod Julien doesn't like young players with talent who won't kowtow to his dumb-ass "system" of dumping-in the puck and changing lines without establishing possession first.
Hamilton should've stayed and Julien should've left.

5 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and 3 more coming next year. ... So 8 picks in the first 2 rounds should more than undo the damages that were born of bad drafting during the Charelli years. 9 picks if Kuraly is included and he should be.

Charelli lived the fruits of Mike O'Connell's drafting and it went down during his tenure. I think Sweeney will do a great job as he was a player - a Bruin - and he brings Ivy League intelligence to the job ... I kind of saw some Belichick in him so far ... bet he has some ... every GM should have some Belichick in them drafting for risk and reward and layering the talent. Charelli was okay ... just okay and that's not good enough.
I agree, though I wouldn't put too much - if any - stock in Sweeney's Ivy League education. It didn't help the ChiaPet.

I agree, though I wouldn't put too much - if any - stock in Sweeney's Ivy League education. It didn't help the ChiaPet.
Well because ChiaPet let his ego and bravado get in the way ...
I think Sweeney will have some Belichick in him ... just a sense I get.
I mean he already traded Neely ... no way ChiaPet would have traded Neely and trading him took big balls.
Rather than try hard for a low playoff seed I can also see Sweeney trading a few others to desperate teams.
The Bruins desperately need more competition amongst the younger players on their minor league teams.

Personally, I have an eye on the types of players that will be drafted with Sweeney at the helm. He was pretty involved in actual player development, so this experience should provide valuable insights. The key is communication them through the org; getting buy-in in the field. He shouldn't have a problem. He was a good player; knows the org well; etc... In a nutshell, this organisation has wasted a lot of top-10 picks...as though they don't belong (picking) there.

Well because ChiaPet let his ego and bravado get in the way ...
I think Sweeney will have some Belichick in him ... just a sense I get.
I mean he already traded Neely ... no way ChiaPet would have traded Neely and trading him took big balls.
Rather than try hard for a low playoff seed I can also see Sweeney trading a few others to desperate teams.
The Bruins desperately need more competition amongst the younger players on their minor league teams.

I'm assuming you mean Lucic, not Neely, and I agree that was one of his best moves as GM thus far. Unfortunately, the Hamilton & Rinaldo trades took away a lot of that momentum.

I also agree that I can see the Don trading a few others (Kelly, Chara, Seidenberg) to desperate teams in exchange for more picks/prospects.
This team is not a serious contender, so it should dump as many over-priced vets as possible.

I'm assuming you mean Lucic, not Neely, and I agree that was one of his best moves as GM thus far. Unfortunately, the Hamilton & Rinaldo trades took away a lot of that momentum.

I also agree that I can see the Don trading a few others (Kelly, Chara, Seidenberg) to desperate teams in exchange for more picks/prospects.
This team is not a serious contender, so it should dump as many over-priced vets as possible.

They may not be a "serious contender" but as everyone knows, all you need to do is make the play-offs and it's an entirely different game..

They have one of the best goalies in the league in Rask.
They have, arguably, the best two way center in the league in Bergeron.
Krejci, when healthy, is a top line center.
Their defense should be sound. It' may not be world-class, but it should be sound. I really like the addition of Matt Irwin, even if it is on a prove it deal.

They have good talent on the wings with Pastrnak, Ericksson, Marchand, Beleskey, Connolly, and Hayes, you have a LOT of speed, youth and untapped talent.
You also have youth in Griffith, Spooner, and Khochlachev who will push to make the team.

Rinaldo is a grinder with lots of hustle. He likes to throw his body around and is excellent at body checking.. The issue is that he still takes some bonehead penalties. I think that he should bring a lot of energy to the 4th line. (No, I don't understand why Sweeney used a 3rd round pick to get him)

Dark horses to make the team:
Matt Lindblad - LW
Anton Blidh - LW
Sean Kuraly - C
Joe Morrow - D

The questions are:
Who skates with whom on the top 2 lines?
Will the Bruins cut down the ice-time for Chara and Seidenberg so they don't make costly mistakes late in games?
Who will be the 3rd and 4th line centers?

They may not be a "serious contender" but as everyone knows, all you need to do is make the play-offs and it's an entirely different game..

Indeed! Of course, there are injuries and deals en route, as well. Personally, I am most concerned about the state of the team at that time. The last time the Bruins won the President's Cup, they peaked too early.

Colin Miller- acquired in the Lucic deal -seems to be missing a lot of radars. He's got the hardest shot in the AHL and won the competition for the fastest skater, as well. His team went all the way and he had big stats; ones that typically translate into something at the NHL level. Don't be surprised if he makes the team out of the gate and becomes a Bruins fave.

Not only will I not be surprised if Colin Miller makes the Opening Day roster, I'm counting on it.

Indeed! Of course, there are injuries and deals en route, as well. Personally, I am most concerned about the state of the team at that time. The last time the Bruins won the President's Cup, they peaked too early.

Colin Miller- acquired in the Lucic deal -seems to be missing a lot of radars. He's got the hardest shot in the AHL and won the competition for the fastest skater, as well. His team went all the way and he had big stats; ones that typically translate into something at the NHL level. Don't be surprised if he makes the team out of the gate and becomes a Bruins fave.

Miller has everything and more that a top prospect might bring to the table. He's my pick for being that player who came out of nowhere and solidified the defense and team. I'm looking for him to be a solid contributor to the B's this year. Speed, shoot, scoring and character.

Don't know if he played yesterday vs Detroit, but I saw Colin Miller vs the Rangers on the NHLN and he was the B's best DMan (Krug didn't dress).
No way he gets sent down now. Both he & Morrow deserve to make the Opening Night roster, especially if the talk of 8 Dmen being kept, at least for the short term, is true.

I'm really curious to see how this team plays this year. I'm estatic that pill head Lucic is finally gone. I couldn't bear the thought of Chiapet paying him a "hometown bonus" like he has with every player he extends. Could you all imagine how much he would have paid Lucic were he still the GM? I always thought the standard was getting a hometown discount, until Chiapet came along. Here's hoping a little contractual sanity has been brought to the heads at the Gahdin. I mean, I don't want Harry Building 19 Sinden era frugality, but man the B's have overpaid a lot of people lately.

Watched the Bs final pre-season game tonight vs Washington. They lost 2-1 in the SO.
Get used to seeing that result, score, and circumstance. They will be lucky to score even 200 goals this season.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back