PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Davis and Barry Gardner are the men in the middle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=20409&pcid=44

With Bruschi on the shelf for the foreseeable future, and his status unknown for the team’s season opener against the Bills Sept. 10, veteran free agent addition Barry Gardner continued to get significant reps at inside linebacker with the first unit on Wednesday. Veteran special teamer Don Davis worked alongside Gardner on the inside with the first unit. Monty Beisel and Freddie Roach took reps with the second team, while outside linebacker Mike Vrabel, who played inside out of necessity last season, has also made some cameo appearances on the inside at practice in recent days.

Based on the reps less than two days before the exhibition opener, it would appear that Gardner and Davis could get the starting nod in Atlanta. Gardner is experienced, thanks to 18 starts over his first two seasons in the league with the Eagles in 1999 and 2000, but the veteran only started six more games over the next five NFL seasons and is with his third team in three seasons. His 24 career starts, and 266 career tackles make him the most experienced of the would-be inside players other than Vrabel, but he’s a complete newcomer to New England’s 3-4 scheme and style of play.

“It’s definitely a different scheme,†Gardner said after a recent practice. “I’ve played in 4-3 schemes. It’s also a fun scheme to play in. I never knew much about the 3-4. I mean I experimented a little bit last year with the Jets, but this is definitely a scheme that requires linebackers to be able to make plays. I am excited about it.â€

Davis, who started 15 games at linebacker for the Rams over two seasons in 2001 and 2002, also lacks game experience in New England’s 3-4 scheme. In three years with the team, Davis has played more special teams than anything else, and actually started two games at safety late in the 2004 season.

“It’s a great opportunity right now,†Davis Said. “Guys are down and we are moving guys around everywhere. I’m just excited to be able to get out there and show what I can do. I did come here to learn the inside position. Safety was more of the aberration so to speak. It’s just kind of getting back in there, going with the natural reads for me. It’s not really that challenging, it’s just getting out there and doing it.â€

When they signed Gardner I didn't think that he had a chance to make the team. I thought that Don Davis was on the bubble.
It appears that I might be wrong.

Last edited:
:eat3: .......

Box_O_Rocks said:
:eat3: .......

Well, yes ... but, on the other hand, what does that tell us about Monty Beisel? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike the Brit said:
Well, yes ... but, on the other hand, what does that tell us about Monty Beisel? :(
That he is bouncing back from an injury and needs to play some catch up (plus he hasn't worked alongside either man yet - chemistry experiment in progress). Patience, it's the preseason. :cool:

they are the "first team" in practice, but i dont think you should read into it too much at this point

Somewhere in the wood, beyond the practice field, the wind whispers: "If you call Klecko, he will come..."

Barry Gardner should make this team. We've never heard of him, so to us he's a nobody. Yet he was the reason the Eagles felt comfortable letting Jeremiah Trotter leave town a few years ago. Granted it was a downgrade, and it was a 4-3 defense, but he has the necessary intelligence and experience to get some good reps at ILB during the season.

That, plus he plays on all Special Teams. I think Claridge leaving has secured his spot on the team, and he may make Izzo expendable.

I will put my reputation on the line as an astute observer of football talent and predict that we will be seeing a very improved Monty Biesel this year.

He will not be a Pro Bowl player be he will do an adequate job as ILB. Good enough to take our concerns away.

Gardner and Beisel will be adequate enough for us to keep mentioning Ted Johnson and Phifer who have been finally replaced. Add Alexander and we should be fine inside. And we can't forget Davis and Izzo!!

The worry is still outside depth. How healthy and effective will Chad Brown be? Will Banta-Cain step up. Will we get help from someone else? If Brown is healthy and effective, we should be fine.

PATSNUTme said:
I will put my reputation on the line as an astute observer of football talent and predict that we will be seeing a very improved Monty Biesel this year.

He will not be a Pro Bowl player be he will do an adequate job as ILB. Good enough to take our concerns away.

Mike the Brit said:

That he needs more game time experience and so will be paired up with run stuffing Roach for the majority of the game with the 2s.

PATSNUTme said:

i really hope you are right but if i have to be honest i am a little bit concerned overall about our lb situation now that Tedy is expected to miss some time

i hope too that we will see a 'very improved' Monty Beisel but, if so, why there is much more 'rumour' on Gardner then on Beisel ?
only for his injury ? or ?

anyway i hope that Tedy will return soon

Last edited by a moderator:
PATSNUTme said:

Well, your reputation against mine is no contest! ;)

I hope I'm wrong, but ...

There's something about Beisel. Maybe it's that he was on the phone to his ex-coach last season and that Vermeil sent him a case of his California Cabernet. How committed are you to the Patriots, Monty?

Also, he keeps reminding me of someone. I think it's Earl, the character played by Bill Pullman in Ruthless People.

EarlMott09.jpg

318974.jpg

Something about that "what's going on here anyway?" expression doesn't fill me with confidence.

Anyway, let's revisit this about Week 6, NUT -- and, if you're right (as I hope) then I'll give you full credit.

Mike the Brit said:
Something about that "what's going on here anyway?" expression doesn't fill me with confidence.

Priceless.

I presume that Davis is calling the defensive plays.

Mike the Brit said:
Well, your reputation against mine is no contest! ;)

I hope I'm wrong, but ...

There's something about Beisel. Maybe it's that he was on the phone to his ex-coach last season and that Vermeil sent him a case of his California Cabernet. How committed are you to the Patriots, Monty?

Also, he keeps reminding me of someone. I think it's Earl, the character played by Bill Pullman in Ruthless People.

EarlMott09.jpg

318974.jpg

Anyway, let's revisit this about Week 6, NUT -- and, if you're right (as I hope) then I'll give you full credit.

I don't get it. Isn't 44 Heath Evans #?

PATSNUTme said:

I am betting the same thing. Not spectacular, or Pro Bowl, but adequate and decent.

I also think Barry Gardner will be a pleasant suprise to most as an again solid but not probowl LB.
I am also going to watch Roach this preseason because I wouldn't be totally suprised if a guy like Roach (who wasn't drafted because of his knees) makes the 53 and contributes like Mike Wright did last year. (Remember the NT depth hole last year when we jetissoned both Traylor and Kelley?)

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
I don't get it. Isn't 44 Heath Evans #?

It's a British thing. They reverse the 2 numbers.

PatsWickedPissah said:

I was thinking, "I could have swore Monty was 52." LOL

PatsWickedPissah said:

"What's going on here anyway?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back