PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: Suspension not likely, two draft picks not definite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell is not "embarrassed" by the Pats gamesmanship. He is embarrassed because an out of context incident has been leaked to the press, creating a media firestorm and unjustly calling into question the game's integrity. His nature is to avoid such controversies, and his anger is equally directed at the Jets, for shortsightedly leaking the anecdote to the press out of spite after a devastating loss. This act by the jets was the height of selfishness. everybody in the league knows that this 'gamesmanship" in omnipresent. Only the Jets used it to fend off the media cycle ready to tear them apart after a loss. Trust me, the Jet organization will be under tight scrutiny going forward for their self-serving role in this affair. Their manipulation of the media for short-sighted ends is the real culprit in this affair, which is really a tempest in a teapot.

Great post/points. I wish I wrote that.:)

Yup. you guys are right. The ruling will be made of Friday and belichick will go back to sticking it to the league in every way he can. He will continue to flaunt NFL rules on SUnday night and in every game thereafter.

Yup, Belickick made a mistake. We'll lose a draft choice, and everything will be the same.

As I have said many times, I don't think that this will be the case. Neither the Commissioner or Kraft will let this happen. An example is being set. There must be some reason to beleive that after the ruling that behavior WILL change.

Quite true.

This is probably taking some time because Goodell has to spin this in a way that doesn't hurt the integrity of the league (including the Pats).

Here's some food for thought for people who see absolute calamity:

Remember who was responsible for getting the owners together on the most recent CBA? The Krafts.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that Goodell takes away all the Pats' day one picks in 2008, and fines them $1M and suspends BB for the season. What odds do you want to give that when it comes time to renegotiate the CBA--which looks to be coming sooner, rather than later--the Krafts would say, "Screw you guys, I'm going home?" [Remember, the only thing the Pats get out of the CBA, really, is avoidance of the poison pills, and a cap on how much they pay in salary. They would be among the beneficiaries, not the losers, if the cap went away.]

Yup. you guys are right. The ruling will be made of Friday and belichick will go back to sticking it to the league in every way he can. He will continue to flaunt NFL rules on SUnday night and in every game thereafter.

Yup, Belickick made a mistake. We'll lose a draft choice, and everything will be the same.

As I have said many times, I don't think that this will be the case. Neither the Commissioner or Kraft will let this happen. An example is being set. There must be some reason to beleive that after the ruling that behavior WILL change.

Here's a crazy idea: let's wait and see what happens!*

* If anyone uses that idea I want credit for coming up with it!

So, you guys think the Commissioner is going to fine us and take away a second round draft choice, and that will be the end of it all. Please continue your denial if you must. 36 hours ago you all thought that this was all a hoax.

What is the burr up your ass really all about? You want Belichick to be punished for some reason. You find his boorish public social manner an embarassment to your franchise? You think you know what Kraft thinks just like ESPN thinks it knows what the Commissioner thinks? You think you're smarter than the rest of us because you root for the laundry irrespective of whose coaching it? So you want the rest of us punished to prove how much more in touch than us you are? You believe in your heart of hearts they would still win without BB? He sent your wife packets of money?

Really, Mg, WTF is it?

There are lots of HC in the not so illustrious history of this franchise who embarassed me, this guy simply isn't one of them. He has a resevoir of goodwill in my house that would take a whole lot more than he's obstinate and difficult for some to deal with and relatively unapologetic for his perceived shortcomings to put a dent in.

NOBODY is arguing this so maybe cut out the ridiculous hyperbole. When Belichick is suspended for several games and then fired by Kraft, you can crow all you want.

They had a new version of Mort's take on the situation on ESPN today (12N), and all he said was the Patriots could likely lose one or more draft picks. He didn't say anything about a suspension, so maybe the sources Banks' hearing from are correct? Ah, we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Last edited:
Since I have mischaracterize you, please state your position.

I believe that most take the same position that we took on Harrison. We did what we should. We got caught. Take the penalty and move on. What if anything do YOU believe needs to change in the behavior of the patriot organization, except not getting caught?

NOBODY is arguing this so maybe cut out the ridiculous hyperbole. When Belichick is suspended for several games and then fired by Kraft, you can crow all you want.

Goodell is not "embarrassed" by the Pats gamesmanship. He is embarrassed because an out of context incident has been leaked to the press, creating a media firestorm and unjustly calling into question the game's integrity. His nature is to avoid such controversies, and his anger is equally directed at the Jets, for shortsightedly leaking the anecdote to the press out of spite after a devastating loss. This act by the jets was the height of selfishness. everybody in the league knows that this 'gamesmanship" in omnipresent. Only the Jets used it to fend off the media cycle ready to tear them apart after a loss. Trust me, the Jet organization will be under tight scrutiny going forward for their self-serving role in this affair. Their manipulation of the media for short-sighted ends is the real culprit in this affair, which is really a tempest in a teapot.

Banks was pretty specific that Goodell is embarrassed that Pats cheated right under his nose since the league offices are in New York. Not because it was leaked to the press.

Banks was pretty specific that Goodell is embarrassed that Pats cheated right under his nose since the league offices are in New York.

Good thing the Jets (and Giants) play in New Jersey. :D

Last edited:
So, you guys think the Commissioner is going to fine us and take away a second round draft choice, and that will be the end of it all. Please continue your denial if you must. 36 hours ago you all thought that this was all a hoax.

There is little evidence that Goodell will suspend Belichick other than it is a remote possibility. I think a big fine and taking away a second rounder and a later pick is an unprescidented and huge punishment for the Patriots.

A second round pick is a high potential to be an impact starter or can be traded for an impact starter. The Broncos got Javon Walker for a second round pick. Last year in the second round the following players were drafted who made immediate impacts on their teams: DeMarcus Ryan, Devin Hester, Marcus McNeill, Andrew Whitworth, and Maurice Jones-Drew just to name a few. McNeil, Ryan, Hester, and Jones-Drew have the potential to be special players for a long time in this league.

I think penalizing the Pats a second round pick is huge and potentially more damaging than suspending Belichick for a month.

Goodell is an idiot -- he can't contain anything and has to always appear to be the swift sword of justice.

Why must that be true? Neither of them will want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

"My" franchise? No, Kraft's franchise. I speculate on what the Kraft thinks based on public statrements and behavior over many, many years. No, I am not smarter than others. I may be very wrong in my interpretation of what Kraft wants as a model of team and staff behavior. I may be very wrong in assessing the degree to which Kraft wishes his team to cooperate with the league rules and to the degree he wants his franchise be a leader in cooperating with the league in complying with the spirit and letter of its rules. I agree that I may be very wrong in interpreting the intent of Kraft. In the next two weeks, Kraft will tell us, we will know, and we will go forward with one of the best franchises of all time.

I want the rest of you punished? Do you share in the punishment? Will Kraft allocate the fines to the ticket costs for next year?

If you are asking about the team's ability to succeed without Belichick, I suggest that this can be discussed at another time. However, I have every confidence in the Krafts, in pioli, in the current staff, and most of all, in the team. I also have every confidence one the best defensive coordinators and game planners in the history of the league. Kraft decides each year with regard to coaches. I was not all happy with replacing Charlie with Josh. So what! In the end, the choice of coaches is one of the most important front office decisions. I have every confidence in the near and long-term future of the franchise no matter who coaches the team.

There is no question that we owe Belichick a place in the Patriot Hall of Fame for developing a plan to take us to the SB in five years, and then taking us to three SB's in his first five years. There is no question that the performance against the jets was one of the best ever. There is no question that player management in this offseason was the best ever. There is no question that the current team, with the current coaches, and the current contracts, is among the best teams ever to suit up in the NFL.

You ask about my personal embarrassment. Yes, I am embarrassed whenever an injury report is issued and whenever there is a team press conference. I am embarrassed every time there is substance to a violation of the rules by a staff that is supposed to reflect the position of the ownership. But in the end, that is my personal problem and choice. I understand those who prefer an attitude of "win no matter what". I really do understand. I work in Boston. I lived in Oakland in the 70's. Personally, I have never felt more comfortable supporting a team than with the current patriots. And yes, I have been a hard-core patriot fan since 1979.

What is the burr up your ass really all about? You want Belichick to be punished for some reason. You find his boorish public social manner an embarassment to your franchise? You think you know what Kraft thinks just like ESPN thinks it knows what the Commissioner thinks? You think you're smarter than the rest of us because you root for the laundry irrespective of whose coaching it? So you want the rest of us punished to prove how much more in touch than us you are? You believe in your heart of hearts they would still win without BB? He sent your wife packets of money?

Really, Mg, WTF is it?

There are lots of HC in the not so illustrious history of this franchise who embarassed me, this guy simply isn't one of them. He has a resevoir of goodwill in my house that would take a whole lot more than he's obstinate and difficult for some to deal with and relatively unapologetic for his perceived shortcomings to put a dent in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back