PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks snap judgements on today's events

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/05/13/walsh.snaps/index.html

makes some good points

Those tapes sure got ESPN's three-man studio crew of Cris Carter, Mark Schlereth and Trey Wingo all hopped up though. When I looked at the tapes they were sketchy, shaky, grainy and jumpy for much of the time. I even had a hard time picking out the familiar figure of Marty Schottenheimer on the San Diego sideline.

But when Carter, Schlereth and Wingo reviewed the tapes, they saw something akin to the NFL's Zapruder film. At one point, Carter declared what he saw the Patriots engaged in was definitely "cheating.'' Well no kidding? Wasn't that established in September?

Watching ESPN and its breathless analysis, you got the feeling that the Patriots were wide open to a whole new round of discipline from Goodell. But that only proved to me they couldn't see the forest for the trees in Bristol, Conn., because it has been clear since last Wednesday night that Walsh's tapes would not open a new chapter in the Spygate saga.

The tapes certainly showed the Patriots' diligence to their taping program, but my sense was that if you put a dozen ex-NFL players in a room and asked them to assess the benefits of the tapes, you'd get some very divergent opinions

Rod Woodson looked at them. Said they are no help in winning football games.
What I don't get about this is. It's our coach's job to figure out what the bleep
the other team is doing. We live in a country where companies will do anything
to screw over the competition for the extra buck. We have a president who sold
out the american people to his oil buddies. We have steroid use. We have intent
to injure. We have seen teams use every possible angle to win. I don't even
argue the point as to whether or not it's cheating. It's his job. If you don't like
it you should disguise your signals. If you obsess about the cheating topic I tell them
that CYO has some good sports they might be interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing