PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks SI Power Rankings (Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Bay is already one dimensional.

The real question is which team has the personnel and coaching staff to come up with a winning gameplan.

GB has to win 2 games in the elements. Playing at Philly and Chicago last year, Rodgers didn't break 250 yds or 21 points. If the games in GB become a race to 24 points (instead of a 30-40 pt shootout), then running teams like the 49ers, Giants and Falcons can stay within themselves. So the weather report (particularly wind) becomes just as important as any gameplan.

I agree, that's a silly argument seeing as it can be applied to the team they have listed #1.

I think by all accounts we all should agree that the Pats really are #3 on the 'eyeball' test.

Green Bay and New Orleans are worthy of their higher ranking at this point.

GB has to win 2 games in the elements. Playing at Philly and Chicago last year, Rodgers didn't break 250 yds or 21 points. If the games in GB become a race to 24 points (instead of a 30-40 pt shootout), then running teams like the 49ers, Giants and Falcons can stay within themselves. So the weather report (particularly wind) becomes just as important as any gameplan.

Rodgers had a particularly putrid game against the Bears. The Packers are probably lucky that the Bears were without Cutler or that game could have easily derailed their playoffs. Games like that make me happy that the Pats have 0 chance of seeing a division rival in the playoffs... odd things happen.

From (NFL Playoff power rankings have Packers, Saints at the top - Don Banks - SI.com)

He has Green Bay at a deserved #1. No negative comments other than that they shouldn't be overconfident. Ok, fair enough. NO at #2. Fine. NE at #3, but it comes with this caveat: "It's almost time to throw out the book when it comes to the Patriots, because logic says we should not be taking a team seriously that gave up the second-most passing yards in NFL history (trailing only this year's Packers)."

So logic says we shouldn't be taking the Patriots seriously because of their #31 ranked pass defense, but GB and its #32 ranked pass defense is the undisputed #1 seed?

I realize I must be a Patriots' fanboy, but how is it possible for people to constantly criticize the Patriots for their weak defense (and specifically, pass defense) when NO and (especially) GB have the same exact weakness? (and in GB's case, it's even worse!)

:bricks:

My take is this. Perhaps it has to do with like the GB team sliced through the playoffs months ago and won that SuperBowl thingy, with the same cast of team members? A recent Lombardi win means something. It gets people's respect vs going 0-2 in playoffs the last 2 years.

It will be delicious to toss this Colts-style monkey off our back.

The problem with that logic is there's really only 3 real elite QBs in the league, so unless your schedule somehow includes 2-3 games against each of the Packers, Pats, and Saints you're going to see a pretty mediocre level of QBing.

While they didn't see any of the elite guys they did see 2 of the top 5 (Romo & Stafford) and 4 of the top 10 (Eli & Big Ben) this season (in terms of QB rating). Of the guys they faced Romo had a great game, but the rest all performed worse than their season numbers ranging from decent to bad. Romo's big game was also the second game of the season when offenses were putting up huge numbers.

Right, but who do you think they're going to face in the playoffs?

And while they did see BR, I think playing on one leg diminished him a bit.

...has the same number of picks as Kyle Arrington.

Because clearly interceptions is the only thing that matters, especially for defensive players where most good play doesn't have a stat behind it.

Shaking my head.

Because clearly interceptions is the only thing that matters, especially for defensive players where most good play doesn't have a stat behind it.

Shaking my head.

You do realize this makes zero sense?

Clay Matthews,from what I believe was second only to Jared Allen in QB pressures for the season...at least thats what it was in mid season.

He is going to need to get to the QB to beat the likes of Brees

Clay Matthews,from what I believe was second only to Jared Allen in QB pressures for the season...at least thats what it was in mid season.

He is going to need to get to the QB to beat the likes of Brees

Dome team v Frozen Tundra. I'll take the ice for $100

Right, but who do you think they're going to face in the playoffs?

And while they did see BR, I think playing on one leg diminished him a bit.

Probably Brees first, which will be a very tough task. I do however agree with the premise that started this whole line of thought; that they're capable of beating either team and if they make it by NO or somehow avoid them they'll be a very tough team for GB to face in GB in Jan.

Green Bay gets a pass on their defense because they have more big names than we do.

Green Bay gets a pass on their defense because they have more big names than we do.

But they still are not talented enough to have a college QB transitioned into pro WR transitioned into Safety do they? ;)

It's pretty easy to see why people are evaluating the two teams differently. It just requires that people take off the homer glasses:

The Packers played a tougher schedule, went 15-1, were on the second longest winning streak in league history, and are coming off of a Super Bowl victory.

The Patriots haven't won a playoff game since 2007, have looked bad in the last two playoff losses, and, so far, are repeating last year's basic pattern only with a worse defense.

It's pretty easy to see why people are evaluating the two teams differently. It just requires that people take off the homer glasses:

The Packers played a tougher schedule, went 15-1, were on the second longest winning streak in league history, and are coming off of a Super Bowl victory.

The Patriots haven't won a playoff game since 2007, have looked bad in the last two playoff losses, and, so far, are repeating last year's basic pattern only with a worse defense.

Then perhaps they should try saying as much.

Then perhaps they should try saying as much.

Anyone without the Patriots homer glasses should grasp those differences without the words being said.

Last edited:

Shaking my head.

You can rationalize it all you want, but it was a dumb argument to begin with and this "rebuttal" only reinforces it as such.

Last edited:

Well,maybe on defense they are worse

But on offense I think they are more armed for these teams in terms of keeping up with them on the scoreboard.

Last year we had an old Morris and Taylor as RBs...this year we have what could be a great new RB in Ridley and thus probably a better overall running game for the playoffs plus Banta Cain is no longer the JAG who is the best pass rusher,its Anderson who is better.

We also have a healthy Hernandez and Welker having a lights out season after his injury 2 years ago.....despite the defense being slightly worse...this years team at 13-3 is better and better equipped to handle the playoffs than the 14-2 team of last season.

Last year because of Hernandez hip problems,the offense missed him,this year at what appears full health,I don't think there is a team in the league who can handle both TEs at full speed when the games start to count.

The offense will certainly fail at times in games in the playoffs and if the defense can't control the other team at this time,then its going to be the same old story,but this year it just feels better that they can overcome a pathetic secondary and win.

Last edited:
Well,maybe on defense they are worse

But on offense I think they are more armed for these teams in terms of keeping up with them on the scoreboard.

Despite the lockout aided numbers, the Patriots scored fewer points this year than last.

Last year we had an old Morris and Taylor as RBs...this year we have what could be a great new RB in Ridley and thus probably a better overall running game for the playoffs plus Banta Cain is no longer the JAG who is the best pass rusher,its Anderson who is better.

Last year the Patriots had BJGE in the playoffs and Woodhead 2010>Woodhead 2011, so I'm not sure why you'd bother bringing up Morris and Taylor.

We also have a healthy Hernandez and Welker having a lights out season after his injury 2 years ago.....despite the defense being slightly worse...this years team at 13-3 is better and better equipped to handle the playoffs than the 14-2 team of last season.

No, it's not. This team is worse than last season, on both sides of the ball. That doesn't mean it can't win, but let's stop blowing smoke here.

Last year because of Hernandez hip problems,the offense missed him,this year at what appears full health,I don't think there is a team in the league who can handle both TEs at full speed when the games start to count.

Yeah, the Jets were unable to do that last year, and the Steelers were unable to do that this year. :rolleyes:

Come on, now. This team's been stopped already this year, so let's not pretend it can't happen again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey