PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks SI Power Rankings (Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From (NFL Playoff power rankings have Packers, Saints at the top - Don Banks - SI.com)

He has Green Bay at a deserved #1. No negative comments other than that they shouldn't be overconfident. Ok, fair enough. NO at #2. Fine. NE at #3, but it comes with this caveat: "It's almost time to throw out the book when it comes to the Patriots, because logic says we should not be taking a team seriously that gave up the second-most passing yards in NFL history (trailing only this year's Packers)."

So logic says we shouldn't be taking the Patriots seriously because of their #31 ranked pass defense, but GB and its #32 ranked pass defense is the undisputed #1 seed?

I realize I must be a Patriots' fanboy, but how is it possible for people to constantly criticize the Patriots for their weak defense (and specifically, pass defense) when NO and (especially) GB have the same exact weakness? (and in GB's case, it's even worse!)

:bricks:

because the pats have lost 3 playoff games in a row they will get no respect from the media untill they win one

Not sure how he wrote this with a straight face. Banks is a Pats fan so maybe this was for motivational purposes.

Yeah, I don't get it that the Packers get a free pass for their defense, but the Pats constantly get slammed for it when the Packers have given up more yards. In fact, the Pats are 15th and the Packers are 19th in points allowed.

I personally don't care overall. What analysts think have no bearing on the game. I would rather have them all trash the Patriots based on perceptions and look foolish if the Pats go to or even win the Super Bowl.

I think the reason GB gets a pass is that they only lost 1 game this year, played better teams than the pats, and are not coming off two "one and done" playoff appearances.

All of that being said, the GB defense is statistically worse than the Patriots in yards and points allowed and they are getting a pass from the media when they probably shouldn't be.

Green Bay has proven it a lot more than the Pats have recently. They give up a lot of yards, but they have a lot more playmakers than we do, and they don't have even one wide receiver playing defense, let alone two.

because the pats have lost 3 playoff games in a row they will get no respect from the media untill they win one

Really, they're hanging onto a playoff loss from 4 years ago? That was a different D (heck, they only gave up 17 points in that loss!)

Green Bay has proven it a lot more than the Pats have recently. They give up a lot of yards, but they have a lot more playmakers than we do, and they don't have even one wide receiver playing defense, let alone two.

While I agree that, ostensibly anyway, GB has a more talented defense, I don't really get this whole "they have a lot more playmakers" argument.

Perhaps you can list their playmakers and how, specifically, said attribute distinguishes them from their peers on the Patriots by virtue of statistics or any other metric?

You know,I don't get it,maybe its because of Alex Smith but the 49ers have one of the best defenses,if not the best overall in the NFL...Are nearly impossible to run on in the red zone and have one of the best TEs in the game in Davis and arguably the best ILB in Willis and are 13-3 yet they continue to fly WELL under the radar....even with the bye week off.

This is a very dangerous team who is slithering like a snake in grass....NFC flavors New Orleans and Green Bay better not ignore this snake or it will bite you.

SF can make Green Bay a one dimentional team very quickly and focus on Rodgers.....the Packers DO NOT want to face SF and would better be served to facing N.O. IMO

You know,I don't get it,maybe its because of Alex Smith but the 49ers have one of the best defenses,if not the best overall in the NFL...Are nearly impossible to run on in the red zone and have one of the best TEs in the game in Davis and arguably the best ILB in Willis and are 13-3 yet they continue to fly WELL under the radar....even with the bye week off.

This is a very dangerous team who is slithering like a snake in grass....NFC flavors New Orleans and Green Bay better not ignore this snake or it will bite you.

SF can make Green Bay a one dimentional team very quickly and focus on Rodgers.....the Packers DO NOT want to face SF and would better be served to facing N.O. IMO

Eh. I think you're overrating SF's prospects significantly. While their run defense is superb, their pass defense isn't, making them ripe for defeat by either NO or GB. Get down a score or two and there's no way Alex Smith is bringing you back.

Eh. I think you're overrating SF's prospects significantly. While their run defense is superb, their pass defense isn't, making them ripe for defeat by either NO or GB. Get down a score or two and there's no way Alex Smith is bringing you back.

It took a solid Baltimore Ravens Defense to beat the 49ers by 10 points in early season...since then they lost 2 games by 5 points....I still don't know how Arizona pulled that one out but nevertheless this is a team that thus far has not let the opponent get up by more than double digits except in Baltimore who barely did.

With that being said...Rodgers and Brees will certainly be a test for that secondary if those QBs have time.

While I agree that, ostensibly anyway, GB has a more talented defense, I don't really get this whole "they have a lot more playmakers" argument.

Perhaps you can list their playmakers and how, specifically, said attribute distinguishes them from their peers on the Patriots by virtue of statistics or any other metric?

Two words: Charles Woodson

While they aren't that great in terms of yards, they do seem to make life pretty hard on the opposing QBs putting them in the top 5 in QB rating against and INTs. If I was GB I'd be hoping SF gets knocked out in the divisional round. I definitely wouldn't think of them as ripe for the picking in Jan in GB.

Might as well get used to it; gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Pack Journalism."

Some guy named Elliott Harrison on NFL.com does the same thing with his rankings. Throws some snarky stuff while he's at it. Know what ... don't bother giving the guy a click. Here's all you need to see:

1. Packers. NFC No. 1 seed. On the heels of his 480-yard passing performance against the Lions, expect Matt Flynn to start again in two weeks. OK, maybe not. But even with Aaron Rodgers getting the day off, the Packers look pretty good offensively, don't you think? With that in mind, Greg Jennings' return will only give the uber-aggressive Mike McCarthy more options on his laminated flipcard. This club is going to be tough for any team to stop

3. Patriots. AFC No. 1 seed. Remember in "Titanic" how James Cameron tried to pull the ultimate diversion with Leo DiCaprio's homeless character pulling the rich chick, so as to make you forget why we all came to the theater? No one cared about that diamond, either. One wonders if that is what's going on with the Patriots. The high-powered offense and the media love affair with Tom Brady is a diversion. When will the defense that can't stop anybody ultimately sink this ship? Believe it or not, it might not be until the Super Bowl. Who in the AFC can keep up with New England in a track meet?

Green Bay is already one dimensional.

The real question is which team has the personnel and coaching staff to come up with a winning gameplan.

LB #1: 50 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 INTs, 3 FF, 0 FRec, 1 TD
LB #2: 74 tackels, 6.5 Sacks, 2 INTs, 1 FF, 3 FRec, 1 TD

LB#1 = Clay Matthews
LB#2 = Rob Ninkovich

The Packers have guys who have REPUTATIONS of being playmakers. They haven't been great playmakers this year.

I was going to post that link because of the one funny line:
they can routinely overcome deficits of 17 to 21 points in the time it takes to spell Rob Gronkowski's last name.

While they aren't that great in terms of yards, they do seem to make life pretty hard on the opposing QBs putting them in the top 5 in QB rating against and INTs. If I was GB I'd be hoping SF gets knocked out in the divisional round. I definitely wouldn't think of them as ripe for the picking in Jan in GB.

I mean, look at the caliber of quarterbacks they've faced.

Not exactly a murderer's row.

I mean, look at the caliber of quarterbacks they've faced.

Not exactly a murderer's row.

The problem with that logic is there's really only 3 real elite QBs in the league, so unless your schedule somehow includes 2-3 games against each of the Packers, Pats, and Saints you're going to see a pretty mediocre level of QBing.

While they didn't see any of the elite guys they did see 2 of the top 5 (Romo & Stafford) and 4 of the top 10 (Eli & Big Ben) this season (in terms of QB rating). Of the guys they faced Romo had a great game, but the rest all performed worse than their season numbers ranging from decent to bad. Romo's big game was also the second game of the season when offenses were putting up huge numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes